HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Thank you the door has heaps of spares I never noticed

2. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Which adaptor would you recommend and would adding a 250 evo 840 make it more sellable with the 250gb HDD?

3. Turbine

Turbine Member

no adaptor? velcro it in the ODD bay and plug in the sata cable there

4. bym007

bym007 Member

I have 2 Microserver Gen8 servers at home. Thinking if I can move the inner guts into a rack mounted case, so it takes less shelf space and can be placed into my rack in garage. The rack is wall mounted variety and about 450mm deep, if memory serves correctly (the type designed to hold switches, rather than servers).

Bonus points, if this lets me use more than 5 SATA hard disks.

5. bym007

bym007 Member

Or would it be wiser to sell both and move to a rack mounted server, which will fit in my narrow depth rack.

I like this approach better, as this will work out of the box.

6. Turbine

Turbine Member

I'd take this approach. The resale on microservers is great and the other way you'll mod them into oblivion.

7. bym007

bym007 Member

I am also leaning towards this option.

8. romanx

romanx Member

First 2 links have broken ones to files,they don't work.
    The Josephlo link works but his HP links don't work. Because they link directly to HP.
    I've managed to get all the files though from other sources so I can modify them.

Is this safe for a n54L? It seems to cover some models in tutorials or just one model in another. Does it also give me access to 8gb ram? That's about all I'll need. 4gb might just not be enough.

9. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

ram has nothing to do with modded bios, just plug in another stick.

10. romanx

romanx Member

I did. 2 x 4gb sticks, Win 10 64bit, only 3.98gb usable.

11. whatisk

whatisk Member

Might be a bit picky with RAM and recognising/using full amount?
    https://n40l.fandom.com/wiki/Memory

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. romanx

romanx Member

BIOS see's 4, windows see's 8, only allowed to use 4. I don't get it.

Also tried doing the modded bios but it just seems to crap out. I don't think it's creating the USB properly.
    I'll persist a bit more.

13. whatisk

whatisk Member

Wish I could help more, but sold off my N40Ls a while back now and deleted any bios files, etc so have just been Googling what I can and going from memory...

14. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Would it be worth putting my 840 250gb ssd into the n40l as going to use the N40 as a NAS?

As I am thinking of keeping my N40L as a Microserver and having 1st drive as 250 SSD (OS) and one of my 4TB as for back ups.

I use Acronic and wondering if doing this via network router would be viable and how to do it as I can't afford a proper NAS solution atm as spent about $1000 on a 2TB 970 evo plus and a 4TB 870 Evo

Also wondering what is the max size 3.5inch HDD the HP will accept as will be buying more drives one at a time and would WD red NAS any good?

Thanks

15. liveordie

liveordie Member

I'm getting the NMI Detected red screen of death trying to install a SAS card, it has passed the screen before but crashes with a BOD trying to load into windows, the card is a HP E208i-p SR Gen10 which is for a Gen10 Microserver, is it just not supported or is it something else I'm missing?

16. bonox

bonox Member

is the bios up to date? There are some big flaws in behaviour of storage controllers with forward compatibility. If you've got a gen 10 controller in a previous gen server you'll need to find compatibility stats from other users if you don't want to be the guinea pig. If the bios doesn't know about the card identifier (because the card is newer than the server) for example, weird stuff starts happening like interrupt errors, fans winding up because of no temperature reporting etc, reboot loops on SMBus etc.

I'll grant you that i haven't played with an N40/N54, but the DL series gear has this problem and has had me running interference on the problem for many years now.

You could also try reseating all the RAM and expansion cards

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLia...Interrupt-NMI-error/td-p/2539215#.YR9AtogzZaQ

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  17. liveordie

liveordie Member

The bios is up today yep, and the bios reads the card and also lists the drives when it does work, but it seems to list the drive connected to the onboard controller also not sure if thats normal.

18. bym007

bym007 Member

Here is how my Gen8 is currently set up for UnRaid

- 4x mechanical spinners (parity + storage)
    - 1x SSD in ODD bay (cache disk)

Looking to add a second SSD in ODD bay to add to cache. Have not decided to go RAID mirror or JBOD for Cache.
    Both SSDs will be 500 GB.

Should I pick up one of the LSI HBAs in IT mode?
    Or do I need to get a different HBA ?

19. bym007

bym007 Member

20. bonox

bonox Member

the simplest answer is pick an HBA that's on the unRAID supported list. Which, unsurprisingly, is pretty much identical to the list for TrueNAS and all the big players who value performance and reliability.

And that's pretty much any LSI (or OEM variant) card with IT firmware and SAS2 support or later.

unRAID forums have a very comprehensive list of supported cards and i've posted it a few times in other links in the storage forum thread

bym007 likes this.