HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

Unless you are using a USB stick that is. I mean surely 16/32 GB for a file server would be enough for the OS. i mean your data files will be stored on the raid array. thats what its for. for redundancy.

much easier if all you have to format is the one drive. pretty fool proof if the raid array is not attached. no chance of mistakingly formatting that if its not plugged in.

2. rugger

rugger Member

I only use a USB stick to hold the linux kernel on .... everything else is on the raid array. I use an old 256meg USB key for that/

But why format .... it is pretty easy to miss important data from your old install that way.

Linux in particular, it is very easy to replace the existing OS with a new OS without having to reformat.

cd /
    mkdir /oldlinux
    mv usr opt var etc home boot bin sbin oldlinux

3. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

You can install Ubuntu on a Raid1 but you lose space on all the other drives as mentioned. With the 6 drives available in the microserver your options increase to :

2 disk Raid1 mirror for OS + swap space + Raid 1 store.
    4 disk Raid5 big storage.

You need to use the alternate install disk to make it work.

4. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

you are preaching to a windows man. in windows world. its better to reformat. gets rid of windows crap after running it for a while and its starting lag because of all the junk it accumulates over time.

yes i am somewhat aware there is no need for that in linux.

5. Stanza

Stanza Member

Not that I have seen or used a P410... only P400 P600 etc.

But most smart array controllers use this method

Either you get an option to press F8 at the Controllers boot screen

which then takes you to another screen which has

Create Array
    View Array
    Delete Array

You will naturally need to choose Create Array

From there you select the drives you would like to include in an array (ie which drives you would like to bundle together into a larger drive.)

Choose which type of RAID you would like the controller to use
    RAID 0+1
    RAID 5
    RAID 6
    etc

Hit enter

Then choose yes, save the configuration....

If you have allready done this and say used all 4 drives to bundle together then YES... the controller will say it has found 1 drive......

When you go to format it you will only see one drive....which will be a combo of the drives you pooled/bundle together

Naturally if you did a different config... say pooled 2 drives together... then another 2 drives together

The controller will say 2 drives found, and when you go to format drives in an Operating system there will be two drives to chose from for formatting.

The windows / other OS "ACU" (Array configuration utility) program will be similar to the Raid Card bios menu's... tho it will have more options and a slightly different layout.

6. mouth

mouth Member

Hi,

Thanks for thoughts.

Yes, I get this option after a brief 'initilization' period during boot-up where it scans for drives. I then get the F8 option to enter ORCA. When I select the 'Create Array' option, I only see one drive!

In the time between my previous post and this post, I tried swapping around the 4 drives within the cold swap bays. By doing this, I am now able to get the P410 in F8 ORCA to see 2 drives, those in the 2 left-hand side bays when your looking at the front of the server. It doesn't matter what combination of drives I put into these bays, it will now still only see the 2 drives.

If I put the SAS cable into the motherboard, it doesn't matter what combination of which drives I have in which bays, it will always see 4 drives during BIOS. Leave the drives in place and put the SAS cable into the P410 Controller and it still only sees the 2 left most drives. Aaarrgghhhh.

Thanks, appreciate it. Haven't gotten this far so wasn't sure, but that it how I assumed it worked.

Wondering if I should now plug the SAS cable into the motherboard and use a boot CD to load a partition editor and delete all partitions, if any, off these drives. Would that affect RAID establishment? Perhaps some of teh drives got partitions when 'playing' with VMWare ESXi prior to the RAID Controller arriving. Think I'll give this a try.

Thanks.

7. Stanza

Stanza Member

Select the delete array option.......see if it somehow see's the other drives as seperates...

Once deleted, you may then see all of them.

Sounds funny that moving drives around in the cage gives different results...

I suspect you are not pushing the MiniSAS connector in far enough into the P410 and only some pins are connecting... not all

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  8. fido666

fido666 Member

You would think so. I was planning on using a 4GB stick for mine, assume that is plenty for FreeNAS or UnRAID but not sure about Solaris Express 11 or Ubuntu.

Last time I played around with FreeNAS I could not get it to install on a 256mb stick. IIRC the spec changed with V7 so you needed 400mb although it appears this is a disk space rather than USB stick requirement.

http://www.freenas.org/category/version-comparison

Not sure which OS you are running Rugger but curious how you squeeze the kernal into a 256mb stick.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  9. mouth

mouth Member

Thanks. Yeah, previously tried/checked the 'Delete Array' option in case there was something, but even with the drive swaps it always showed no current array.

Ensured the cable was pushed in all the way a couple of times, even getting out the torch to shine in there and make doubly sure.

Quoting myself now ....
    This was my issue! I used a linux boot disk and with a combination of parted and fdisk I was able to see that 3 of the drives had an unrecognised partition table. I wrote a new msdos partition table to all 4 drives, and voila the P410 can now see all 4 drives.

Yay! Thanks for advice Stanza, appreciate it.

10. TheFlock

TheFlock Member

I'm new to RAID and have never done it before. I was wondering if the HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL was an appropriate RAID5 card for the Microserver?

Btw. My PSU was replaced and is now silent. For anyone with loud PSU's, get them replaced!

11. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

ignore me.........

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  12. Nasha

Nasha Member

What sort of speeds are you guys getting from RAID-5 using mdadm??

I've created a 5disk RAID5 array, ext4, and disk speeds are half that of my other 4disk RAID5.

Proliant:
    I'm thinking some tweaking may be in order, or i seriously messed up something in the RAID creation.

I mean realistically, that's going to saturate my GB LAN no worries, but im still not impressed by the results.

Thanks,
    Nasha

Could anyone offer some advice?

13. rugger

rugger Member

This is a 4x1tb drive array (drives are 3 year old original WD 1tb greens)

What is your chunk size on your array. I am using 256k ... which is probably about the maximum I would suggest using with mdadm.

14. rugger

rugger Member

A tip for windows users.

If you are having problems with the onboard NIC dropping connections or other weirdness, you should try disabling ALL the acceleration/offload features in the network drivers on the NIC.

Been having a couple of issues with Broadcom NICs on a couple of servers at work. Disabling the offload features seems to help in some cases.

It may help some people here too. Linux users are probably unaffected by these problems, as the linux TCP stack doesn't take advantage of many advanced offload features in NICs (the linux TCP/IP stack is pretty awesome, it doesn't really need this stuff to begin with)

15. fusker

fusker New Member

I'm in exactly the same boat, hopefully the compiz solution will work. I'm in the middle of updating to 11.04. I'm still am having issues with the sound however, any advice?

16. Nasha

Nasha Member

I didn't customise the chunk size, so i guess it's sitting at 64k.

I didn't customise chunk size on the first array either though.

Guess im rebuilding the array today!

17. arytel

arytel Member

Hell, didn't even see this until now. I've been trawling MS site and googling for an answer without much success.

WHS2011, software raid. Standard install with no custom settings. No add ons and the N36L had the bios updated to the current but no changes to the initial settings.

Drives are the WD 3.5" Green 2TB WD20EARX SATA3 5400rpm

No other activity on the server for the moment, as I was waiting for the array to sync before doing anything else. However, the sync was up to 50% on Saturday when the auto update started and reset the server. I noticed on Sunday morning the resync had started again. :( and over the day it is now up to 33% atm up from 3% at 8am this morning.

18. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Didn't help me :upset: :(

19. Dimtar

Dimtar Member

Hi All.

So I have decided to go down the UnRaid path. Apparently I need to buy it to use it for 5 drives.

Before I take the plunge I want the UnRaid install to cover three things, if it does I will make the purchase.

Sharing files via Samba or something else that will allow Windows users to browse and pull down. (easy but worth asking just in case)
    Download NZB's, SABNZBD or NZBget
    Share via Upnp, something like PS3 Media Server would be awesome. :)

EDIT: Did a bit more reading and took the plunge. Looks like I can install PS3 Media Server and SABNZBD, excellent!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  20. tino1984

tino1984 Member

I am in the same boat as you, so I am going to replace fan with this one scythe mini kaze. I hope it fixes the noise.
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/34691-sc-sy124020l

A question for anyone who got replacement PSUs, did they ask you to send your old one back? Because I was.