HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. froggi

froggi Member

i'm having a few issues with mine, been trying to set it up for a good portion of today.

here is what's going on:

- using modded bios
    - trying to install windows into stock drive
    - stock 250gb drive in sata port 5

the installation media is a bootable usb drive, however it won't boot from it unless i disconnect the 250gb drive.

once i got into the windows installation setup, i replug the 250gb drive in but it wont allow me to install onto that drive, indicating an issue in the bios.

is there a setting i need to enable/disable to get this to work?

2. zooki

zooki Member

What kind of software raid 5 are you using? I can't help with your problem but have been looking for software raid 5 with WHS2011 and didnt think it was possible other than using flexraid?

3. fido666

fido666 Member

Which version of Windows?

Have you set the BIOS options to boot from USB first?

I've read some posts regarding having to reflash the HP firmware on the HDD with the stock Seagate firmware, not sure if it applies in this case though.

Other than setting AHCI mode on the SATA ports I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Sorry if I haven't been much help, I'm just thinking of possible causes I have come against on previous OS installs.

4. arytel

arytel Member

Zooki, the software is the standard raid setup through the WHS disk management. Not sure about my problem, I do think that this is not common, as it has been nearly 4 days 1 restart from 50%, and now the 2nd time from Sunday morning I am back up to 54% in ~30-40hrs.

5. zooki

zooki Member

Thanks, i'm not really up to speed with most of this and hadn't been able to find any info saying it was available or not

I am running WHS v1 now on the stock 250gb in the ODD bay, I found with the stock bios copying anything from USB to any drive to be painfully slow, doing the bios hack fixed it all, like the ODD slot not being full speed slowed everything else down, this couldn't be contributing to your problem could it?

6. arytel

arytel Member

shouldn't be, since I updated the bios (OLI's link on the first page) via USB before installing the OS and raid array. My arrangement is the 250gb drive in the ODD and 4 2Tb in the SAS slots.

Just annoying, since I'm waiting for the resync to complete before I start updating the server and getting it setup for my network.

7. fido666

fido666 Member

I'm looking at going down the same route; will just have a play with the 3 drive limit free version first. Any tips you can share on getting it to install sucessfully would be greatly appreciated.

8. neilt0

neilt0 New Member

Take a look at my setup and feel free to ask any qu's: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11585.0

9. fido666

fido666 Member

Thanks heaps Neilt0! I have only got as far as setting up the USB key so far (a 4gb Kingston DataTraveller), have been working all weekend. While I'm playing around I think I will just leave the USB stick in one of the external USB slots so I don't have to keep pulling the mobo out, later I will put it in the internal port. I have the same SATA caddy you use for the ODD bay (just branded differently) but need to pull it out of another machine first; since I only need 3 drives to test UnRAID that can wait.

Edit: I notice your cache drive is a 2:5" 320gb which you have wedged in under the ODD bay caddy. Doesn't your cache drive need to be a big (in GBs) as the largest drive in your array so you don't lose capacity in the array drives?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  10. neilt0

neilt0 New Member

11. fido666

fido666 Member

Yeah I just realised I was getting the 2 mixed up. Since the free version doesn't support cache drives it's not an issue yet; just something to consider for future tinkering.

I see you changed your drive configuration after those initial posts and now have 9 drives crammed in there. How did you go with the heat/cooling concerns?

12. froggi

froggi Member

w2k8 r2

done, it just seems to ignore it.

i think that was only something affecting another o/s.

i should mention that i've installed 2 x 2tb drives in raid1, the 250gb is attached on the same onboard raid as a jbod.

13. neilt0

neilt0 New Member

14. froggi

froggi Member

After further investigations, it seems that it doesn't like the stock 250gb hd in the sata 5 port. might actually have to flash the firmware.

edit: seems like windows installation doesn't like it when you try installing it onto raid mode.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  15. fido666

fido666 Member

16. neilt0

neilt0 New Member

I've had 2x 3.5" drives in that top 5.25" bay. As long as one is a cache drive, there shouldn't be heat issues -- it's only during a parity check (or build) that all the data drives are spun up and read at once, and the cache drive is not involved in the parity check.

17. fido666

fido666 Member

How did you fit the 2 drives in?

18. fido666

fido666 Member

I didn't realise you were trying to install to a RAID volume; I have never attempted that.

19. neilt0

neilt0 New Member

20. fido666

fido666 Member

Had a look, think I can see what the poster did. It looks like 3 drive mounting rails have been bolted together to form a double stacker mount/5.25" bay adapter for each side of the ODD bay.