HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. Dimtar

Dimtar Member

Can we get that kind of stuff in AUS?

2. fido666

fido666 Member

Yes, I have some lying around from old PCs but probably not enough of them to do the job for me.

3. Q-w-e-r-t-y

Q-w-e-r-t-y Member

hp microserver with a br10i installed

whenever i try to enter the br10i configuration bios, i press ctrl c. following this it says "entering configuration utility " or something to that effect.

however after it initializes it just skips past it and boots the operating system. anyone using a br10i in the micro server? how did you overcome this?

thanks

4. mikehol

mikehol Member

I gave it a try and got results consistent with pinchies. The initial claims by Stumo were a bit too good to be true.
    With 1+4GB RAM and one low-power HDD, Ubuntu 11.04, I get 20W idle from the PicoPSU vs 26W with stock PS.
    Not worth the bother for a 6W saving. It has however removed the biggest noise source.

The PicoPSU will go into my desktop PC, where it makes a much bigger difference over the el-cheapo original PS, and the noise reduction matters more.

I'm using a 7A/84W "Delta" brand power brick, which was around $25 on ebay.
    One thing with Linux - if X-windows is not running, it uses an extra 5W.

5. GoofyHSK

GoofyHSK Bracket Mastah

I don't think Statts had much luck with that, and ended up setting it up plugged in to another board

6. bobrandom

bobrandom Member

Can you wait till next week and I will tell you about my br10i

7. Q-w-e-r-t-y

Q-w-e-r-t-y Member

is there a windows configuration utility i can use to set up a raid 1 mirror for the br10i? the disks are showing up the disk management console, but i want to use the controller for hardware raid.

i'll give it a few days to see if there is a solution. it would be a pain in the ass to take it out and stick it in another system each time i want to adjust the raid settings.

8. Stanza

Stanza Member

Well if my Media server arrives this week, my Microserver should be free again for all sorts of testing once more.

I remember when I had the BR10i in it didn't go into the cards bios screen... but I didn't actually do much testing apart from seeing if it fitted and worked.

Got some more bits n pieces to play with a well.

Have some different brand 4 x 2.5inch in 5.25inch bay SAS/SATA bays.
    Also have a PCI-E 1x NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 to try.
    Also a HP P400 with cache and battery pack.
    Sold my BR10i but have found another one

Will grab some ram also as this will not be used as my WHS v1 boxen any more... so Solaris will definately be used once testing fiddling is done.

Still playing with my 16bay 2.5inch drive cage at present, along with other things.... so time is always fun to find:rolleyes:

9. bobrandom

bobrandom Member

No idea I don't use windows sorry

10. Q-w-e-r-t-y

Q-w-e-r-t-y Member

i had a look at the user guide for the br10i. There is a configuration utility called CFGGEN that you can use. Supposedly there is a DOS version and a WinPE version so i will try these.

11. Blinky

Blinky Member

Is the hacked BIOS still the thing to use if using the ODD sata port for a boot drive ?

12. stumo

stumo Member

See I never saw the stock psu go below 35W, ever. This is consistent with a couple of other reports online. I only saw one report of 25W at the time, and I would have been happy with that. As it turned out, I'm stoked with the picos 13W spun-down idle.

I'm picking there is some variance in the stock psus. Also I have found that win2k8 gave much lower idle consumption than *nixes I tried.

13. g12345567

g12345567 Member

Upgrading ram

From what I have read, I assume it supports dual channel ram.

If so will there be any noticable performance loss by installing 1 ram module instead of 2 identicle ram modules in dual channel mode?

Is it ok to to use standard non-ecc ram? Considering the price of ECC is over twice that of non-ECC ram? For a basic windows 7 professional OS based server.

If so will non-ECC ram be able to run with the existing ECC module or will that have to be removed to use the non-ECC ram?

14. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Can anyone tell me where to get my hands on one of these cheaply in Australia?
    Finding it hard to get at anywhere near the $200 price, even second hand ones are $300+!!!

15. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

has been asked a thousand times mate, non exx is fine, and most of the time runs fine with the non ecc

sorry bud but you got no chance, they are no longer available anywhere for that price

16. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Cheap Non ECC ram is fine.
    Dual channel or single is fine, best to never mix and match different ram though, since the IC's will operate at different timings/latency, etc.

refer to the owners documentation if you want a good idea of the different ram which people are already using successfully. :)

17. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

not going to happen anytime soon. i got one still sealed box for $270 plus post here. thats the best i could do.

18. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Hmm that's pretty good, where from if you don't mind me asking?

19. g12345567

g12345567 Member

I assume you mean the existing ecc ram runs fime with the cheaper non ecc ram.

20. Statts

Statts RIP