HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. GooSE

GooSE New Member

While there is plenty of anecdotal evidence saying that it works okay with various hacks or tweaks, I'd probably steer clear. If you haven't purchased drives yet, just go for a 512 byte drive (like the Hitachi 5K3000). Better to be safe than sorry.

2. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

anyone getting the remote access card?
    everywhere seems to be on backorder.

3. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

I asked on IRC yesterday and a few more tips for running *nix on Flash drives:

- turn of atime option so that there's no write on each access time to files
    - use a non-journalling file system on the flash drive (e.g. ext2)

Should I put together a Google docs spreadsheet so we can all just input our info there? What does everyone think?

4. Tali

Tali Member

Spose im on the list too now :)

Received mine yesterday in Adelaide first thing in the morning at work.

6x2TB Samsung Drives, Fileserver/Media Server, Debian Squeeze

5. cacaw

cacaw Member

Sign me up.

ESXi - Slackware/Centos/Trixbox

6. GooSE

GooSE New Member

FYI: Ingram Micro is showing no stock until 09/06/2011.

7. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

Updated first post with link to publicly editable google spreadsheet! Enter your info there. Add columns for drives or whatever as well to suit. I am not sure what other info people want to share. :thumbup:

8. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

quick! everyone on gdocs spreadsheet chat!

9. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

well that was a jolly good conversation.

10. rmuser

rmuser Member

Quick question to those who have received theirs already. Do they come with a kb and/or mouse?

11. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

no! they do have a power cable though.
    also, they dont have a sata cable for the ODD drive so remember to buy one if you dont have one lieing around :p

12. Stanza

Stanza Member

and a Molex to Sata power adapter;)

13. rmuser

rmuser Member

Thanks. I know this is probably sacreligious around here but I am not gonna fill mine to the brim with drives just yet, nor am I going to flash the BIOS to get full performance on the eSATA and onboard SATA port.

Just a USB stick for /boot and 4 x 3.5" HDD in RAID10 to start. I'm even thinking I will try the broadcom NIC before I go out and get a better one. Has anyone determined whether it does Jumbo Frames? In the past I have had Dell servers with broadcom NICs that Dell _say_ support Jumbo Frames. But Dell lied...

If the onboard NIC cuts it I may put a SATA/SAS (RAID) card in the 1x PCIe and a 4 x 2.5" caddy in the ODD bay but being a cheap bastard I probably won't.

14. luztra

luztra Member

If you need a mouse and keyboard (like me), you can get the genuine HP mouse and keyboard set from MSY for $23 - or if making any purchase over $10 - you can get the Microsoft Desktop 400 mouse and keyboard set (both are wired/USB).

15. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Why dont you use the included 250gig hdd? Make that your boot drive in the ODD slot and use the 4 down below for your raid 10 set.

I'm not a fan of having esata from the back and routing it into the case, so I'm sticking with 5 drives. I tried to install OpenSolaris 11 Express onto a USB but wanted to *wrists* after the first hour.

The other option is to have a 5 disk RaidZ2 with FreeNas (apparently they are working on fast-tracking the ZFS Version to 28... maybe 2 months away... regardless, bit too late for us though)

So I'm looking at a tried and tested solution of Ubuntu on the 250gig located in ODD, and 4x2TB drives in MDADM raid 5. It's something I know works 100% and will easily saturate a GigE link.

16. domlebo

domlebo Member

Hi guys,

Dunno if this is the right place to start, but given we have so many owners I figured why not.

I need some sort of NAS solution for my families data. We have 2tb of tv/movies/music we need stored. We also have around 200gb of photos and home video. All our devices are windows. That is spread over 3 or so HDD's.

I'd like an easy way of sharing this data with everyone - WDTV Live, Windows Workgroups (for just casual browsing) etc.

What is the deal with these systems? Do people generally run a linux distro (my preference) or something windows based?

17. ics

ics Member

Hey silly question but why do you need jumbo frames?

T

18. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

you can run windows based servers such as windows home server, that is a pretty easy setup, WHS1 is a bit of a hassle if you read previously, but 2011 works fine as far as I know.

but at the same time windows home server has a special way of storing data
    that requires blank drives to start off with, so it can be added to a pool of drives.

if your not looking to pool the drives into any sort of raid or DE(for WHS) then using them in singular fashion(JBOD) using linux and then sharing that off to the windows computers is a matter of configuring CIFS/SMB.

I'm going under the assumption that the WD live can access windows shares, which is what the linux server will look like if set up using an SMB share.

19. domlebo

domlebo Member

Yeah well the plan is to run Samba on Ubuntu Server. What I'm asking I guess is are there any BIG flaws people have found. I.e. PSU's failing etc?

20. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

What OCAU'er doesn't have at least one of those spare? :lol: