HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

you still get pcie x1 speed. so what else is the benefit? other than saving the pcie x16 slot?

2. silentlightning

silentlightning Member

a more powerful graphics solution you can actually get into a pci-e 1x slot

3. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

now i know this is a riser adaptor. so would that mean the back plate would have to be modded to fit the card?

4. silentlightning

silentlightning Member

yes, that's the fun bit.

5. rmuser

rmuser Member

Fair enough. For me hardware RAID is overkill for a home server. Also mdadm has always been rock solid for me and gives adequate io perf.

6. <atomic_trojan>

<atomic_trojan> Member

Was purchased directly through HP by a mate of mine who works for them.
    It could be an hp employee service im not sure, when i called support i was given two options which was either to have a replacement shipped (requiring me to ship the other back) or to have a technician come round the following business day for onsite support. I obviously elected the onsite support as i wasnt going to wait another "14-21 business days" for new one.

Technician rang me this morning, parts were shipped overnight so the techy had the parts onsite before he arrived. Was very nice, communicated well and listened to what i had to say re: diagnosis. He didn't even bother testing the current unit and was finished within 30mins...couldnt help but think that it was nice to get an aussie for a change ;) (no offense intended).

All up i'm pretty happy with it, just a shame i dont have a compatible secondary stick of RAM as i can't install WHS 2011 with only 1GB.
    Might update with a pic when i got everything running, reckon the lcd looks pretty sweet but still undecided if i should take a dremel to the cdrom insert...

7. peterz

peterz Member

I can't see whether or not it's been posted, but is the internal USB port powered? That is, can I run a 2.5" hard drive off it? (with a SATA - USB adapter)

8. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

9. g12345567

g12345567 Member

I have an 8gb kit (2x4gb) non-ecc ddr3 installed. Obviously have removed the existing 1gb ddr3

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  10. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Thats pretty damn good service of HP coming in to fix it the next day. When my laptop developed a minor problem (consumer line no less) they had to fix it outside and it took about 1 week and a halfbefore I got it back again.

11. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

I got told today that to get my scratched Microserver replaced I'll have to wait till the end of July to get a new server shipped. They've offered an alternative server in its place but I've yet to hear back (althouh I can't imagine they'll have anything better than the Microserver to offer)

12. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

just wait it out. surely a scratch will not ruin your microserver experience while you wait. or if you have bought one from when they where $199 each. buy one now at $241 or so and sell your original one. i reckon if its just a scratch someone will still pay $$$ for it.

13. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Yeah I'm in no rush, I'm just more curious to see what they'll offer as an alternative. But it would take a lot to get me to shift from my Microserver :)

14. Del3ct1

Del3ct1 (Banned or Deleted)

15. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Just compared the two.

The Celeron is actually a bit slower (in benchmarks)

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php (625 for the celeron vs 813 for the N36L)

DDR2 vs DDR3 in the Microserver
    No PCI Express Slots
    No Video Out
    Less USB Ports

To be honest I can't see any advantage of the Mediaserver over a standalone PC which I sold to buy the Microserver :)

Anyway I'll let people know what they offer in its place. But I don't think I'll be getting rid of the Microserver.

cheers.

16. Stanza

Stanza Member

Depending on your usage requirements, they do actually balance out pretty even.

If you upgrade the CPU (very easy swap) for say anything from a lowly dual core E2180 thru to say a E8400 etc (just watch the temps as there is not much of a heatsink there..)

Both have 4 drive bays

EX490 has an ESATA port that supports port multiplying SIL-312X chip... so adding more drives externally is quite easy.

Once up and running ... depending on your chosen OS then the lack of video etc doesn't matter...

Depends if you need more than 4Gig of ram... or need KVM facilities or not.

I have both and find they are an even match.... just depends on your usage needs I guess:thumbup:

17. Joehax

Joehax Member

I just took ownership of my MicroServer along with 4 * 2TB Samsung drives and 4GB of RAM.

Just in time for the tax return :)

18. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

this tax time its the microservers... then next tax time its 3TB drives.

19. nogi

nogi Member

Have you got a link to the LCD modkit that you bought? I've got a server on the way and may as well start to make it look a little like the QNAP 439Pro it's about to replace. :)

20. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

I just installed windows 7 x64, all drivers detected by default, but my graphics seems limited to 1600x1200, and it only get a 1 score in Windows experience index for graphics.

I can't find graphics drivers on HP website

Any ideas ?

edit: nevermind had to install AMD integrated driver chipset

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011