1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

that's really irrelevant to what software the system runs, unless the software is flawed in the sense of drivers that turn off fans (I'm thinking the whole video cards overheating due to fans being turned off by drivers)

people have found the PSU's to be vaguely too loud, I can't confirm myself because I do not possess a server yet.

but at the same time, HP seems to offer very fast part replacement for it, so failing is just a minor problem.

2. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

well, I do have them...somewhere but organisation is a little bleh.

Dealextreme time!

3. domlebo

domlebo Member

Twizzly where do you recommend ordering one of these from?

4. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

You'll need a Delorean and 88MPH to get one of these by now surely.

Mine is saturating gbe as we speak :D

5. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  6. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

assuming you mean the microserver?
    well, you can import one from the US, or italy on eBay
    but as it stands, unless you can find another OCAUer that has spares,
    your out of luck =T
    unless you want to pay the 400-500 it will take to get one in, mind you there isn't many other solutions that fit the same catagory as this so even at 500 a pop, if you only have 1 and you really do need a large 4 bay NAS, then importing one or buying one off eBay is still an option

I would recommend watching eBay Oztion blah blah blah in the next few weeks, as megabuy have stated that there were quite a few bulk orders, and they expect some of them to appear on other avenues shortly(in other words eBay)

otherwise if you have as catalyst said, a delorean and the ability to drive up to 88mph and you got yourself a flux capacitor and all the other equipment required for time travel, then you can get one from megabuy :D

7. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

8. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

it would seem it would be prudent to post in the OP that these are no longer availiable?

I'm still seeing people jumping onto google docs chat asking for a good place to buy them..

edit: it seems I really need to start multi quoting...

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  9. rmuser

rmuser Member

It would allow me to export disk (LVs or other block devices) on this thing to a direct GigE connected host using ATA over ethernet. Or export disk on another host to this. A 9000 MTU makes a big difference to throughput compared to ~ 1500 with ATAoE.

Quick google found some numbers here:

http://www.metsahovi.fi/en/vlbi/vsib-tests/aoe-nbd/index

10. Stanza

Stanza Member

OK here is the basic rundown of installing WHS v1 on these

I will tidy it up after and make a proper HOWTO

Please note, my disc version of WHS is I believe one of the earlier ones, so it doesn't include PP3 on the install disc. A Mate at work tried the PP3 disc and it worked the same.... other versions might differ.

Bios version of the HP Microserver I have is dated 30/September/2010 and it's the standard bios, not modified

OK first up you will need to collect the following pieces of the puzzle.

Buy yourself
    a WHSv1 install disc
    a USB key
    a SATA CD/DVD drive
    a Molex to Sata power adapter
    a Sata cable long enough to reach from the motherboard to the CD/DVD drive (preferably one with 90 degree tip at both ends... to make the cable fit easier)

Either a Large SATA drive if you are planning storing lots of stuff, or the original 250gig drive and a few more smaller ones.

A word of warning, if there is data on any other drives you are planning to use in WHS, or planning to copy off into the storage pool...DO NOT INSERT THEM.
    A sWHS will overwrite all drives at installation time if you are not careful. Best to play it safe and leave them out. Just install the single HDD you would like to install WHS to.

Add more RAM, but be mindful that WHSv1 is only 32bit so the maximum it can use is 4gigabytes, it will install and run fine with the standard 1gig, but more is better

Which ever drives you choose, use the Largest drive you have as the 1st drive (where WHS gets installed too) and place it in the far left Bay of the HP Microserver.

Download the following files

Onboard NC107i driver from HP
    Network configuration utility from HP
    Both are available HERE

Files are named
    cp013021.exe < Driver
    cp013582.exe < Configuration

They should be the top 2 links

Then off to AMD's site for the remaining driver files we need... which are
    Video
    USB
    SMBus
    AHCI

Note, this is a large file 250mb but we really only need a small part of whats inside

AMD's download is HERE

and you need to download the XP version not the Windows 7 version

File is named
    AMD Embedded GPU and Chipset XP Driver

It's a big ZIP file, so extract it somewhere.

Now we need to copy the files we need to the USB key
    which can be done two ways....

Either copy just the Network card driver and it's configuration file to the USB key. and share the AMD drives on the network to install them. Or copy the whole lot and install everything directly from the USB key (your choice)

So copy the 2 Network driver files we downloaded from HP

To copy the Video / USB / SMBus / AHCI required files either extract the whole zip file to the USB key, or pick and choose the required parts...
    which are

Graphics drivers are in: \Packages\Drivers\Display\XP_INF\
    USB Filter driver: \Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB8xx\UsbFilter_svr\XP\
    SMBus driver: \Packages\Drives\SBDrv\SMBus_svr\XP\
    AHCI drivers are in: \Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\AHCI_svr\XP\

OK now we are set to install

Connect up your CD/DVDrom drive (Power and Sata from the motherboard)
    Plonk in your WHS disc

Check the following in the Bios.
    SATA controller is set to AHCI mode
    Boot order is set to boot from the CD/DVDrom drive 1st (change it up or down with the plus key) so it's up top in the boot order
    Save the Bios settings and exit

Microserver will Restart and should boot from the WHSv1 install disc

Choose your options for installation, and let it finish.
    Microserver will reboot and then try and boot from the HDD

Which will fail and you will get the Bluescreen of death..

Reboot and re enter the bios.

Change the SATA controller mode now to IDE mode
    Save and exit once more.

This time WHS will continue on it's installation as it should.

It will reboot a few times after installing it's required parts.

Once it's finished installation, you now do the following

You will notice it can't find any network card... so we can fix that by inserting out pre prepared USB key

Step one
    Run the file cp013021.exe, this will install the network card (NC107i) driver
    Step two
    Run the file cp013582.exe, this will install the network card configuration software.

Now you have networking:thumbup:

Step three
    Shutdown WHS and remove the HDD you installed it too,

Sit it ontop of your CD/DVDrom drive and remove the cables from the CD/DVDrom drive and connect them to your WHS HDD.

Restart the HP microserver, and once more go into the bios. this time changing the Sata controller it back to AHCI Mode.

WHS will boot a little slower this time, but will work fine, and if you open Device Manager you will find 3 new unknown Devices (yellow triangles)
    The AHCI controller
    The SMBus controller
    The Video controller

Right click on the AHCi controller line, and we will select "Update Driver"

Point it to the folder containing the AMD driver we downloaded
    \Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\AHCI_svr\XP\
    and it will install

Next do the same for the SMBus and video card drivers
    \Packages\Drives\SBDrv\SMBus_svr\XP\
    and
    \Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB8xx\UsbFilter_svr\XP\

lastly open the folder containing the USB controller driver
    \Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB8xx\UsbFilter_svr\XP\
    right click on the USBFilter.inf file and select install

Shutdown the Microserver once more

Unplug the WHS HDD and place it back in the far left slot.
    Turn on the Microserver and it should now boot up nice and fast:)

You can now insert your other HDD's one at a time (give each one time to spin up before inserting the next) and they will be recognised and usable.

You will notice that your drive will be reported as SCSI devices now also.

Your on your own from here:weirdo:

11. rmuser

rmuser Member

Not enough GB for the extra heat, noise, power.

Yeah, we disagree on that. I'll just put 100MB /boot on a USB stick and a second encrypted partition on the USB stick for private "stuff". Then I'll have 4 x 2TB in RAID10 with LVM on top with the system on an LV or two.

Hey, if you must use RAID5 be sure to resync the array on a reasonably regular basis. Otherwise you increase the risk a second drive failure during a rebuild event and lost data. RAID10 is waaaay safer i reckon.

12. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

If you lose 2 drives in the same Raid 1 set, you're screwed anyway =) but I see your point. this is one of those "Raid is not a backup" moments.

I have backups of the important things on my Norco and external HDD's, so it wouldnt be that hard to re-populate if 2 drives fail at the same time. Its why I put more emphasis on space vs your need for uptime/redundancy. Can you add another drive (5th drive in the ODD slot) as a hotspare for the raid 10 MDADM?

13. rmuser

rmuser Member

I don't see the need for a hot spare for RAID10 if the array is monitored sufficiently. Although I want this server to be up 24/7, I am not bothered about having to reboot it occasionally.

A hot spare for RAID5 makes no sense though. Better to have RAID6 with 2 parity drives so that you can then afford to lose a 2nd drive during a rebuild.

14. Igneous

Igneous Member

Love the snazzy new OP from oli! Flashed the BIOS successfully and am now waiting for the hard drives and RAM to arrive.

15. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Did some basic file transfer tests and I'm happily pulling a maximum of about 117MB/s in FTP (vsftpd) from a 7200rpm RAID5 array source (mdadm) to the HP's 7200rpm RAID5 array (mdadm) over a gigabit network. Nice, but the CPU utilisation hit nearly 50%.

An exact 1GB of data transfers in 10.35 seconds.

An exact 10GB of data transfers in 108.12 seconds.

Multiple transfers did not alter utilisation rates of the CPU or the gigabit connection, but naturally impacted the transfer time of the same files sent concurrently instead of individually.

16. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

Thanks, good idea. Done...

Huh? :confused:

17. ocskat

ocskat Member

Thanks for the great write-up.

Is there no way to copy the WHS DVD to a bootable USB flash drive and boot from it?

Also, would it be possible to slipstream the additional drivers (AHCI,...)?

18. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

you should be able to just format the USB, make it bootable and copy the entire disc to the USB.

adding drivers to it, shouldn't be hard, I would assume the structure of the WHS disc is similar to that of windows server.

19. ocskat

ocskat Member

20. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member