HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. Stanza

Stanza Member

Yes I am sure ther is a way to do that, I have not tried it myself personally.

Alos like I said earlier, if you update the bios and enable Full speed on the ODD port I am not sure if it means the ODD port now runs as per the other ports. Which might bork installing WHSv1 without doing a slipstreamed CD/USB key.

I did try the press F6 to load the driver at install time, but it didn't work. Maybe I didn't do it correctly?

2. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

The PlayStation 3 USB TV tuner is a dual tuner device. It works on Linux (is all the rage with MythTV guys at the moment) but I am not so sure about Windows/MCE.

3. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

I've bought a JMicron based SATA card based on the JMB360 chip. This chip is claimed to be Solaris compatible by the manufacturer, but so far I can't get it to work. The OS can see the card (scanpci), but doesn't seem to see the drive behind it.

If I can't get it work I might have to try another card or the BIOS flash I guess.

4. Snuffy22

Snuffy22 Member

decided to get a pcie 1x card
    http://www.digitalnow.com.au/product_pages/Dual7164.html
    the cards that digital now sell have always treated me well in the past, so while its rather expensive i decided to give them repeat business

5. Chrysilis

Chrysilis Member

Bear in mind that once you have changed over the BIOS the DVD sata port becomes secondary to any other installed HDD for boot purposes. It will just sit there at a black screen trying to boot off your data drive/s. Go into the BIOS and find the boot order and put the right HDD at the top :)

Freaked me out when it happened to me :upset:

6. Snuffy22

Snuffy22 Member

wasn't the case for me, worked fine, lol

7. Igneous

Igneous Member

I was complimenting your edits to the original post (OP), which is getting better all the time. :)

8. Kaddude

Kaddude Member

Hi all. Managed to get one from Megabuy so I guess I'm now in the Owner's Club.

I want to try out Virtualization, and also a flavour of Unix as one of the VMs as I have never run a Unix box. He's my plan below, can I get your opinions?

- I want to use ESXI as a Hypervisor running from a USB key on the internal USB drive.
    - I'll add a 2TB drive initially, so will have the 250GB drive, the new 2TB drive, and 2 free drive bays.
    - I'd like to load 2 Virtual machines onto the 250GB drive - a flavor of Windows Server, and some kind of Unix.
    - I'd like to format the 2TB drive as NTFS and use it to store documents, video files, music, apps - can Unix read/write to that?
    - Which free version of Unix do you recommend? FYI would like to try video streaming from within that VM, and generally play around in there to learn more about Unix/Linux.
    - I'd have the VMs reading & writing from the 2TB drive
    - I would ultimately like to add 2 more 2TB NTFS drives, to have 6TB for data. FYI I have a Synology NAS so I'd have backup between this server and the NAS.
    - At some point I'd like to replace the 250GB with a 2TB. Is it possible to backup the VMs somewhere, swap the 250GB for the new 2TB, and copy back the VMs?

Thanks all in advance...

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  9. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I'd be more inclined to run a VM on top for some NAS then use that instead of NTFS partitioned drives. Though I'm yet to see firm information on any zfs distro running through esxi on this hardware.

10. rugger

rugger Member

Yay. my microserver finally arrived .... but no time to play with it now ... maybe later :)

Bought from Harris Technology last wednesday, Delivered direct from Dicker Data in NSW ... thats why it took a week and a half to get to me in Perth.

11. Jazz

Jazz Member

Could anyone suggest a decent video card that will fit and is suitable for HTPC duties?

12. peterz

peterz Member

I switched back to SE11 last night from Freenas 8, and SE11 has much much quicker file transfers out of the box (RAIDZ - AFP and SMB)

13. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

It's really interesting to see what everyone is doing with this thing! HP have done an awesome job with this product. Regardless of the price the fact that people are changing/upgrading/replacing bits to fill so many roles shows how good it is.

Ah, thx. :)

14. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

yeh...

having no issues saturating the GbE with mine .. very happy.

15. peterz

peterz Member

Yep, same thing here. Writes are much, much quicker too. Oh well, at least I was exhausting all options haha. Was nice that Freenas was on a thumbdrive and booted so quick. I'll just have to find a place to hide this 2.5" HD!

16. rmuser

rmuser Member

What's the chip please? And any idea what is the max frame size?

I have an Intel Desktop CT GigE adapter for mine but won't bother if the onboard will do 9k frames.

17. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

The chip on the HP is a broadcom ... use BGE driver on Solaris..

On my pc it's a shitbox built in realtek thing...

A quick google suggests that the broadcom/bge driver will do 9000 frames.

18. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

Microserver - Unable to flash bios

Anyone know how to change the HDD LED and LAN led to a blue one??

And anyone thought of a 5.25" bay lcd run off the internal usb port to show drive spaces, network etc ?? anyone know where to get one
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/images/products/mfp51/mfp51-v4.jpg like this?

Im running WHS2011 so a windows program to drive it is ok

19. yoink

yoink Member

His ati 64 bit radeon 5450 512mb, low profile about $39

20. Azrael

Azrael Member

Im in now, finally got mine out of Startrack Express who seem completely incapable of reading an address, let alone reading the address of a location that they delivered 34 other parcels to in the same day.

Anyway, mine will become my new HTPC/mass storage machine. Serves as an rsync backup for all my photos and video editing stuff, as well as a generic server. Will do offsite rsync backups nightly.

If it cant handle that then ill send it up to my parents place in Canberra where it can replace the P3-800 as the fileserver that the offsite rsyncs go to.