1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

HP Touchpad now $99 from Best Buy

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Chemware, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Just got two 32gb models from the Gympie store through a friend! And they have about 10 left! So any sunny coast people who really want this and don't mind going for a drive, get in quick. Noosa is sold out though. However, only one per customer.

Should be able to get my hands on it tomorrow!

2. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Abysmal sales on them. HP was pricing them too high. At that price point, it's sitting along side android devices and ipads, both of which has heaps more apps than WebOS does.

3. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

How many bloody apps do you really need? Every Ipad or phone I've ever used (that was someone elses) was just filled with pages of useless free games that they probs used for five minutes those I can do without!

4. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I wonder how much money HP would have made if they'd made the prices for the N36L and the Touchpad "reasonable" rather than "ridiculously cheap".

I'm just waiting for now. I suspect (without evidence) that HP still has a decent amount of stock in their warehouse and that this will trickle out over time. They've also recently released the 64GB version; presumably there are at least a few of those around. I'm hoping to wait for the 32GB one to become available again (possibly at B&N; they've got it listed but at the old price) and then I'll buy one. If it doesn't become available, then that's no great loss.

5. bueller

bueller Member

I agree - every iPad i've seen has been bloated with 3 pages of useless apps and then left to sit in a drawer a month later. Here's hoping the same thing happens with these then I can buy a few more :D

6. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Just because you don't use it, does not mean others don't. I love my iphone for the apps I can find on it, not for the hardware.

7. Beaner

Beaner Member

Yeah, I'll wait 2 weeks and pick one up on ebay for $50 bucks me think.

There is a reason HP discontinued it lol.

8. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Supply and demand. It's a middle of the road tablet for super cheap with no apps but the demand will still be high.

Tech enthusists always love tinkering with hardware so there is a market there.

People who use few apps on their smartphone will like it. I for one only really use the browser and the facebook app on my android.

The facebook app is actually pretty good.

You can make any app you want as long as you deliver it as a webpage...and it supports flash for extra bonus. On this note delivering apps via browser for a phone is a pain because of the limited real estate but a tablet is a whole different game. I think effective apps could be made via a browser for all tablets.

If ubuntu and android port to it then there is a whole new market again.

I guess the lesson for the tablet manufacturers is that there is a loss leader market available to tackle apple if anyone can make it work.(collecting profit off apps etc)

9. Beaner

Beaner Member

I had a go of one and despite all you have listed it just seemed slow. Apps slow to load, go portrait slow, web pages slow to render.

My experience is if its not good to use "tech's" will abandon it pretty quickly once the fad wears off.

10. ksyap

ksyap Member

That friend of yours willing to throw one this way? Will pay for postage? :thumbup:

11. matarael

matarael Member

Around $50 to $60 shipped for two according to shipitto. That's with my probably wildly inacurate guessing on product dimensions

12. IMtech

IMtech (Banned or Deleted)

Definitely agree.

And when you compare it to the $100 tablet on special 3 month ago, the Optus/ZTE V9 Tab, the hardware is leaps and bounds in comparison. And the screen... oh my... it is excellent for $100! :thumbup:

The ZTE in comparison is washed out and not really usable unless you have it facing you, unlike the Touchpad's nice IPS screen... ;)

The ZTE may have Android 2.2 and millions of apps, but what's the point of that on an extremely slow tab with a bad screen? :p

I think HP really killed something good with WebOS. They should have just opened it up a bit more and made it a bit more like a desktop PC, instead of going for the Ifad simplicity and ease of use.... :(

Oh well, I really hope to have Ubuntu running on it soonish, or else it will be a nice coffee table accessory for the meantime! :lol: :)

13. spludgey

spludgey Member

14. matarael

matarael Member

I don't think it asked me to pay tax. Just shipping.

15. tojara69

tojara69 Member

i remember something about tax when i was ordering, i didnt tick it though.

16. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

I missed out on one by about 10 minutes. Let me know if anyone wants to sell one of their spares.

17. power

power Member

for those prices it would be great to have one about the house, music player and web browser - also email.

18. dainese

dainese Member

Have developers from xda got onto this?

Does it feel like hp just had a knee jerk reaction?
    I know competition is tough, but quitting?

19. power

power Member

I predict HP dump their CEO in the near future.

20. Zee

Zee Member

Got one from the US for $99 - will pick it up in a month or so when I get back there, should be an interesting toy - hopefully someone will figure out how to root it and get android on by then.

Otherwise, happy to use it for email and mobile web browsing, or passing it on to someone who can make better use of it. For $100, it's a pretty sweet deal.

Z...