HPE tells users to patch SSDs

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by power, Nov 28, 2019.

1. power

power Member

inconvenient

HPE tells users to patch SSDs to prevent failure after 32,768 hours of operation

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00092491en_us

2. bcann

bcann Member

3. Hive

Hive Member

Completely normal phenomenon in HPE land where shit is built haphazardly, poorly.

We bought a new fleet of ultra high end Z-Books at 4K a pop. All of them had a defect where they were missing screws from the screen and falling apart within the first week. So HPE send the local geeks-r-us contractor to rummage through his box of screws to find ones that fit.

Brand new 380 G10 - the NVME drive was loose in the server, just rattling around. Unbelievably it didn't work.

Stupid things like HPE smartmemory. Want to use all channels/slots and maintain full speed? No fuck you, you can only do this if your memory has that little sticker on it indicating the memory is SMART. It's just rebranded OEM shit anyway with a single byte differentiator in the ROM chip.

Buy Dell.

/Rant

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    bcann likes this.
  4. bcann

bcann Member

I'm glad in the places i've looked after that had HP, i had the authority over a period of time to fuck that shit off and replace it with Dell as the warranties expired.

Hive likes this.
  5. bcann

bcann Member

and just for shits and giggles, because i don't have HP shit anymore, YES they do allow you to download this WITHOUT any active Subscription....

6. Zee

Zee Member

Funny to see the above posts, our HP experiences have been pretty much the same.

Z...

bcann and Hive like this.
  7. Skitza

Skitza Member

Bought a new brand new Dell Rackstation. Had to open it up because they didnt connect the power to the expensive graphics card. Had to reseat ram in a brand new Cisco UCS server because it wasnt seated properly. Shit happens to all vendors, they are all just as bad sometimes.

8. bcann

bcann Member

Never had to actually call HP then huh? Dell are a boatload easier to deal with.

Hive likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i've dealt with both, Dell as a partner and HP as a customer. no real issue with either.

my whole environment is HP and as you can all tell from how much spare time i have i'm not worrying about busted hw that much, lol

and i don't know if anyone bothered to look into it any further but HP just rebrand OEM drives so these failures I imagine are probably that vendor's fault not HPE.

Hive likes this.
  10. Hive

Hive Member

In the context of sysadmin, Post count is now an uptime metric and therefore part of KPI.

Must raise post count asap.

phrosty-boi likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

let's be clear though, i am keenly aware of HPE's failings (ATO anyone?). but people saying lul buy Dell are kidding themselves if they think Dell are that much better.

12. Skitza

Skitza Member

ive called HP many times. Some times easy, some times hard. Same shit, different brand.

13. bcann

bcann Member

Absolutely everybody rebrands one of the big 3 drive makers, nobody makes their own drives anymore apart from the big 3. all i know is everytime i've ever had to ring up HP, it turns into a 1 hour fuckfest, and i have to practically BEG to get a spare part sent out, even after jumping through all the hoops and logs i have to present to them to justify it. there a PITA, at least with dell prosupport, i get generally a local with a good understanding of spoken english, not so much with HP, that is a HUGE timesaver.

14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

sent out??? what is this madness?

15. bcann

bcann Member

I don't need a field tech to swap out a hot swap drive, as these were the most common things to die with the HP Servers i looked after.

16. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yeah drives and psu's are pretty much the only thing i have fail.

laptops, just send a tech.

drives and psu's - what's the rush?

17. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

Sometimes its just quicker, even with our Dell ProSupport we do this, as we are in the Central West organising a tech (who are mostly based in Orange) can take 2-3 business days, where as express post can be overnight.

Of course it depends if the issue is just a new Drive/Whole new Motherboard which sometimes you dont know until you have tried installing the new part, thats when we give up and wait for the tech as we aint got time for that.

18. bcann

bcann Member

Ahh Data integrity

19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

what you don't have the redundancy to cover you in the interim?

20. bcann

bcann Member

We do, but i don't like to push shit up hill.... and who's to say another won't fail. I may buy lotto tickets, but i don't like playing data/VM lotto.