HPRes-4 -> Hybrid Mod

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Defyant, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Defyant

Defyant Member

The finsished Case :) :thumbup:

Can be seen in the PCDB :thumbup:

http://pcdb.overclockers.com.au/view.php?name=FLAMED&page=pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HP-3 Has become way too intense and Defyant's Web....while thereapudic! ..is as boring as batshit! ...the WeB's that will be the bulk of that mod are just to tedious to sit down and cut day after day!

So i now that im back into the swing of modding for a bit! i need somthing that i can mod :)

Sitting here in the room, with HP-1 (now Stealth'D) and HP-2 i was thinking of what i could to add to these 2 cases!...... then i think... ive still got 3 more "Unmodded" HP cases out back ....... :D

So iv'e decided to once again @ your internet browsing expence! to indulge myself in a bit of "Face off Hybrid type Fantasy" Ive decded to Fuse the 2 mods into on case!

I'm going to put the things i like most about HP1 and HP2 into one case!
    and add a few new ideas as well...working along a "hot rod" theme.

It should be a bit of fun to see what comes of it all :)

The victem? HA! silly question!

[​IMG]

The first thing to be done is to strip the case down.

[​IMG]

Streight to cutting! the floppy area is cut away from the top panel and a 110mm hole is cut for the blow hole.

[​IMG]

For all my blow holes i use PVC pipe, its thick walled and very strong, perfect for this type of mod.

[​IMG]

It's marked as being 100mm but in actual fact its 110ISD wich is really perfect for the 120mm fan blow hole.

[​IMG]

A bit more trimming is needed to make the hole larger and the cut section of pvc pipe is tightly fitted in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  2. OP
    OP
    Defyant

Defyant Member

As you can see plenty of overhang is left to accomodate for the conture of the facia.

[​IMG]

Rather than use bondo to secure the rear of the Blow hole, Qick Dry Aradite is used just for the ease of use :)

[​IMG]

the joining surfaces are "ruffed" up to help the Glue adhear.

[​IMG]

Dosn't look like a lot! i'll add more later.

[​IMG]

The glue is given 20 mins go "go off" and it's time to flip the panel over and trim off that excess.

[​IMG]

A qick going over with the sander tool

[​IMG]

and a good old hand sand with some 200 grit.

[​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    Defyant

Defyant Member

Looking almost done! a thin skim of bondo will be applied over night to finsih the blowhole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is to cut a matching hole in the Chassis to allow the new blow hole to fit.This time ive taken the easy and less messy way out and cut my hole with the snips!

For this type of hole this method is fine and with a steading hand and baby steps you can get a pretty clean cut :)

[​IMG]

For all those Jaggy sharp bits! you can use a Hammer and Dolly to flatten them out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for a test run! Not too bad for a evenings work :)

[​IMG]

4. OP
    OP
    Defyant

Defyant Member

For the motherabord side panel i'm going to keep with the Auto theme and use some Vents ive had laying around for ages.

these will not only be for looks but serve to help the internals breath as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The idea is that the 2 will petrude thru the side panel much like the hood scoops do on hot rods.

[​IMG]

These will be attached to the chassis and the side panel will be fitted over the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The holes are cut by hand and dremel, so the lines are not as streight as they could be.

A block and paper help to sand them back to near streight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With one hole cut the Vents can be placed thru for a "look see", the only delema is what way to have the vents face?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    Defyant

Defyant Member

Ive always wanted to do a window flame mod! HP-4 is the excuse i needed :)

Before i start....

I want to give HUGE creds to MNPCTECH

MNPCTECH supplies the templates for the flames ive used on this and many other mods ive done, MNPCTECH supplies these free of charge, and they part of just one of many awsome tutorials supplied over on the MNPCTECH website.

Cudos Bill TYVM mate :thumbup:

I ended up javing to use more than 5 different dremal bits for this mod! as well as a stack load of 200G sandpaper.

[​IMG]

The pattern is copied onto the side panel @ this stage its just a ruff trace.

[​IMG]

I really had no idea of how messy and how much of a painstaking timeconsuming job this was going to be....i soon found out :)

[​IMG]

Even @ this stage i'll bet your going hrrrrrm!

[​IMG]

After a couple of hours, 2 beers, a coffee, lunch and a qick session of catch with the son the panel was actually starting to look promising!

[​IMG]

Each and every flame is worked on individually until smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A close up shows just how much work was needed to get each flame smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    Defyant

Defyant Member

A lot later in the day the panel is ready for a "look see " :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It really is good to be modding again :)

7. psynapse

psynapse Member

Wow mate i thought you would've run out of these HP cases by now :lol:

Those flames are looking neat.

Kinda weird shots though, some of it looks like the side panel is made from plastic the way you initially made the cuts

8. Ignignort

Ignignort Member

It really does look like it is made outta plastic :confused:

9. OP
    OP
    Defyant

Defyant Member

All the panels are plastic! :wired: :)

A big shout out and creds to inpectr, ty mate :thumbup:

inspectr not only donated the above pc but gives alot of time and resources to the ocau community :thumbup: :thumbup:

got a few hours to play with should have a update commin soon.

10. mr_wrxman

mr_wrxman Member

WOW that looks awesome :thumbup:

Can i ask some questions, a few days ago, i bought a rotary tool, a RYOBI one, (they had no dremel for some reason) and there are some sanding discs. They're like normal sandpaper but cut into a disc with a hole in the middle. Just wanna know, how the hell do you use them?

11. Stygian Shane

Stygian Shane Member

Wow... that looks awesome Defyant... This will look great IMO without a motherboard cover, unless you kinda do IT with the same flame pattern, and then another 'panel' between the two with yet another flame pattern, a cascading effect?

Mr_WRXMan, afaik, they go onto the same 'rod' as the cutting wheel, good for 'soft' sanding, around corners etc. For where a sanding srum won't work.

12. MrSmith

MrSmith Member

Nice work defyant, another start to a top notch mod!

13. elementalelf

elementalelf Member

hey, would it be possible for me to get one of those hp cases? i wanna try a mod, nothing like yours... but its a good mod however...

14. DECIM8

DECIM8 Member

Your going to need a jet black spray job at the front fading to a hot red/orange when it starts to bend around the sides... that is going to be one nasty case matie!

15. OP
    OP
    Defyant

Defyant Member

Cheers wrxman :) i'm pretty sure that Stygian got your answer right, but i can't hurt to pop a pic up if your not sure :)

Cheer Stygian, i'll prolly go with some sort of cover :) flames for sure!
    Cheers Mr smith Ty :)
    elementalelf :) i wish i could shoot one your way, but i still need the extra parts... if i should ever (god forbid) damage a panel while lugging HP-2 back from mag shoots and displays...... the only saving grace is that i'd have a replacement ready in a jiffy.. with soo many of these cases, i pretty much need a mountain of maintinance parts!

Cheersw DECIM8 the plan is for mattblack....i'm not so sure i want to go for the bozanego's Satan's duce look.... i'm still tossing around full silver with highlights as well :)

16. OP
    OP
    Defyant

Defyant Member

Update time :)

Embossed Flames!

Thought i'd try somthing new today, a lil somthing to jazz up the base abit.
    I was going to cut them from the left over plastic but remembered the godd old Defyant style plex flames..

The idea is to make a "raised" pattern of moulded looking flames.

Pics always say it best :)

*******Sorry for the badly focused shots guys***************

[​IMG]

The flames get "The chop"

[​IMG]

Next is to clamp on into place on the base.

[​IMG]

A bit of heat is applied and the front of the flame is bent into shape.
    The wifey's pegs are always handy :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. OP
    OP
    Defyant

Defyant Member

-----
    Next is to sand and prep the area where the flames will be glued to using good old araldite glue.

Holes are marked and drilled to where the flames will be glued to, these will help act as anchor points.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plenty of glue is used! any extra araldite can be sanded later :)

[​IMG]

The tips edges and excess glue is sanded away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. OP
    OP
    Defyant

Defyant Member

Next is time to start the moulding process....i'm using spot/hand/glazeing putty... this is NOT the suggested method of going about this! and a proper skim of Bondo is a better idea then use your glaze sand spray putty sand paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An initial sand to knock the bulk of the putty off...these will now be left to sit over night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. DECIM8

DECIM8 Member

Actually I was abit unsure when you begun im like, Oh man hes gunna kill it ... then you wacked on abit of that bondoish like substance and it started to take some nice shape ...

May I ask what about the top? going to maybe continue around with some bondo and sand it down or add some neat trick you always seem to pull out...

Im currently modding a much newer HP tower, Its comming along nicely of course wont be near as good as yours .. its my first time modding pc towers but we'll see how it goes ...

XBOX 360 should be fun to mod :D

Neways excellent work.. im a big fan

Take it easy
    DECIM8

20. MrSmith

MrSmith Member

Oh this keeps getting better. Defyant, will you marry me.