HTC G1 Android Phone

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Sachimo2000, Jan 31, 2009.

1. gbh

gbh Member

2. gbh

gbh Member

these won't work on 3 will they (i.e. if I had one form OS or an Optarse one that was unlocked)
    Different network right?

3. m0zzie

m0zzie Member

It will only be available on a contract, however they will not be locked to Optus.
    I'm with 3 - and yes the phone will work on the 3 network. I'm thinking I may just purchase one straight from Google's android market. Around $830 AUD delivered, plus it's the developer version so you have complete root access over the phone.

4. m0zzie

m0zzie Member

5. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

I just tried then, it defaulted to the mobile version, but you can just scroll to the bottom and switch to the normal GMail interface (though it may be the HTML only interface :confused:)

An imported phone works fine with Three too (that's who I'm with).

6. m0zzie

m0zzie Member

Have you done any developing on it? That's kinda the main reason I'm so interested in buying one..

7. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

I got as far as setting up the SDK and reading some documentation... But I don't think that really counts :)

8. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

As I understand, you can just do things that a provider might restrict. You can run a fork of Andriod, or play with the latest beta (such as Cupcake) you'll never be restricted what apps you can download/install.

I'm not sure if an unlocked G1 is any different from a G1 Dev phone though.

9. res

res Member

What do you want to know?

10. m0zzie

m0zzie Member

Nothing too specific really - how do you like developing for it? Is it a nice stable platform?
    I'm currently working for a company as a software engineer, writing Windows based software - just thought I might pick up Android developing as a hobby on the side.

11. res

res Member

I have been using Android since Nov 07 and really enjoy it. Previously I was working with J2ME and net.rim so it is a huge step forward. Stability wise I haven't had any issues, the main hurdles are understanding how the platform works.

I would definitely recommend picking it up as a hobby. Once it becomes more popular you would be one of the few Australian's with experience :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009