1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

HTC Hero Discussion

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by wastegate, Jun 25, 2009.

1. P00peyes

P00peyes Member

Thats a good idea but how could I be sure that I'd be able to sell the Magic for a decent price? And, does vodafone lock the phones to their service only?

I'll look a little further into to it... Thanks for the motivation :thumbup:

2. NiSlo

NiSlo Member

If your screen is off/locked, you'll get a flashing letrackball and then when you turn the screen on, you'll have a notification and the start of the message displayed at the bottom of the lock screen.

Anyone using a custom ROM? My Hero is fast as it is, with the occasional slow down during games. Is it worth going for somethign like a MoDaCo ROM?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  3. mtoti

mtoti Member

Reading the whirlpool thread and a journalist at the launch asked the HTC rep about warranty claims and was told that there is no local support from phones bought os, you have to return the phone to country of origin (link)

4. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

Pretty sure someone here mentioned (you can confirm by emailing HTC) that you can always send it to a HTC repair centre thats closer than UK (like HK)...

But its one of those things u accept when buying goods overseas...

5. P00peyes

P00peyes Member

Well, I got my response today... No new news on the Hero but they did give an indication on the HD2 which I found interesting...

May be old news for some but I didn't expect it here for another couple of months...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  6. Darkness'

Darkness' Never a frown..

This really is the clincher, how can we find this out for sure? Email HTC? If you can get an OS model repaired here, why would you spend the extra $200 on an Aus purchase...

Excellent, thank you. That's what I was after, some form of easily identifiable way to see if you have unread messages etc.

7. mtoti

mtoti Member

The difference will probably be a lot less than $200, with a bit of bargaining you should get it for under $700, HN's store cost is apparently $625. There is a group buy being organised on whirlpool and it's looking like being under $650 (link).

8. UB3R

UB3R Member

Google Maps Navigation has been released to android 1.6!!! looking for it online and cant find it... uninstalled Google Maps and cant even find that in the marketplace.

either way, its possibly US only at the moment, but this is great for those who have devices that havent yet (or wont be) upgraded from 1.6 to 2.0!

SWEET!!!

9. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Any further info on when 2.0 will be out? Also I assume the Hero will work on 2.0?

10. hosh0

hosh0 Member

The only difference is with non google stamped ones is you have to go through your PC. Who will download firmware updates via their networks data usage?

11. P00peyes

P00peyes Member

I'm hoping to get the hero when it hits the HN stores...

In the mean time, I have an iphone 3Gs 16gb up for sale HERE and I'm willing to negotiate a 'bit'

12. AusKWiKsAnD

AusKWiKsAnD Member

I'm confused, this is a Hero thread, it runs neither 1.6 or 2.0 (as yet), have you got a phone other than the Hero?

13. `X'

`X' Member

anyone got a tip on some of the good free apps that go with android?

so far have RingDroid to get the ringtones working the way i want. And Linda File Manager to see the files on the mem card.

ps my hero is black! the company told me they were shipping me pink :D

14. hosh0

hosh0 Member

I haven't got mine yet (Thursday can't come soon enough!) but from what I have read a few apps I will install asap are:
    Google Sky Map
    ShopSavvy
    locale
    shazam (why not)
    Sherpa

Also did I mention locale? In case I didn't mention locale, locale.

Locale.

15. UB3R

UB3R Member

ok i use regularly:

Barcode Scanner (mostly for reading the new 2D barcodes for apps to dl though :p)
    Google Finance (finally does ASX stocks!)
    FeedR (pretty near RSS feed updater, not sure if its free)
    Linda File Manager (apparently ASTRO is good too though)
    Advanced Task Manager (cant emphasise enough how much faster this makes the device when you click the "close all" button, just make sure you make SenseUI and the core apps as exceptions or it will close them too!)
    Scientific Calculator (looks like an old sharp/casio calc and does all the scientific stuff AND ORDER OF OPERATION!)
    Cardio Trainer (logs your jogs, and if you pay an insanely low price it will keep a history and give you updates as you jog on calories, how you are going compared to last time, etc) see: MY JOG
    Fring (free app that lets you voice and text talk over skype and MSN to mates over skype on WiFi and i think on 3G!)
    Meebo (like fring but only text chat but imho neater and easier to use, only use fring for voice)
    GPS Status (wanky gps thingo that tells your speed and sats in view and elevation and stuff!!!)
    Trapster (its a user updated speed camera database which surprisingly is actually quite good around sydney, to the point that someone had even noted the location of an RBT that was going on that i passed in Botany!)
    EZCam (not free, but its a speed camera warning program that doesnt use maps or an online database so wont constantly trickle your 3G data away when you use it, works on POI's like tomtom does)

Edit: Oh almost forgot some favourites!!!

Shazam (can figure out what music is playing on radio or pub by sampling it!)
    Robo Defense (this game is addictive as!)
    WaveSecure Beta (able to locate a stolen phone phone, lock it remotely, wipe it remotely, backup sms and contacts remotely before wipe, and automatically lock if another sim card is inserted as well as check what the number of that sim card is so you can hand it to the cops!)
    Places Directory (use this HEAPS when i feel like "indian" or "car wash" or anything of interest, it tells you all it can find near by, their distance and direction as well as links to reviews, their website, google maps location, and directions!)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  16. MiGiSHu

MiGiSHu Member

Montreal, Canada ePenis Size: Whoppingly Large
    All apps I use that haven't been said (all are free)

3G Watchdog: Tells you how much data you've used, and when you're reaching your limit (on pre-paid 3G).

A Online Radio: Lets you listen to streaming audio from a shoutcast server. There are many of these apps out there, but this is the only free one (that i found) that plays m3u streams, or at least plays them without complaining.

AdFree: Removes ads

AndroidIRC: IRC Client

Gameboid Lite and SNESoid Lite: Emulators, nothing running on it yet though so I can't tell you how it is.

Jewels: Bejeweled Clone

Photoshop.com Mobile: Mobile Photoshop!

Sipdroid: Allows you to send/rec VoIP calls. Problem being, it doesn't work too well on the HTC Hero (the dialer interrupt doesn't work properly, and afaik, the program itself won't work unless you use either your own Asterisk server, or some shitty pbx server system in the US. I use it primarily to make calls).

Wallpaper Set and Save: Allows you to import and set wallpapers

17. Constructacon

Constructacon Member

I didn't see any re-reading the last couple of pages, but has anyone seen the Austrailan release pricing yet?

18. Punk

Punk Member

$799 RRP At Harvey Norman - Unlocked

19. P00peyes

P00peyes Member

Is that definately gonna be the price or is that just going by the RRP?

20. MiGiSHu

MiGiSHu Member

Montreal, Canada ePenis Size: Whoppingly Large
    AFAIK it's RRP. Though considering it's being sold at Harvey Norman, you can bet your ass it'll be that price or higher.