HTC Sensation Official: 1.2GHz dual-core, 4.3-inch qHD display, 8MP, Sense 3.0..

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

Was going to order this from the UK this week... Since the bootloader lock issue hasn't been sorted I think i'll wait :(

2. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

No need to worry, HTC aren't locking their bootloaders anymore :thumbup:

http://opensource.com/life/11/5/rock-your-newly-open-bootloader-htc-customers

I played with the Sensation today here in Hong Kong and personally I think it looks and feels like a bigger Desire S. Speed wasn't overly fast (could be the bloatware or custom rom) and screen looked ok but nothing spectacular. Sense 3 is very nice upgrade. Very nice phone but didn't give me a wow factor I was looking for. Looking forward to see the Samsung Galaxy S2 in action next week.

3. sanjay

sanjay Member

the sensation is failing pretty hardcore in all benchmarks against samsung's exynos and nvidia's tegra 2...time to cut the cord with qualcomm HTC and move to something thats a bit more technologically advanced.

HTC's processor is like a pentium D versus samsung/nvidia's core 2 duo...it really does appear to be that big a jump.

shame about the screen though, what id do for the sensation resolution on my galaxy S2 :(

4. archie

archie Member

its the screen & sense thats drawing me to the sensation.
    otherwise galaxy s2 is a winner i think..

wondering if its worth waiting for the NFC version of the S2 due out late this month

5. Finner

Finner Member

I think sense 3.0 is what sold it for me for the sensation - it looks great, and seems to function really well and comes with a lot of really good apps compared to touchwiz.
    Sure the sensation isn't winning the benchmark tests, but so what - it's still a dual core phone, it's built well (and doesn't look like a knock off iphone), big screen res, and has a great UI. Somehow I don't think the majority of users will be complaining of lag, this phone is still miles ahead of most other phones out there... (and will be a nice step up from my Nokia 5800!)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  6. Tobes1990

Tobes1990 Member

For those who aren't rooting them, HTC Sense is a shitload better than Touchwiz.

7. tangcla

tangcla Member

In a predicmanet of whether to buy the Galaxy S II or the Sensation.

Thoughts? :p

8. proffesso

proffesso Member

well I couldnt wait for a phone, ended up getting a Sharp 006SH "Aquos"

960x540 3D screen, twin back cameras for 3D pictures/video, 1-seg TV and 1.4ghz cpu

pretty happy with it, just first real shot with android...its good, but quirky as well...need to find the right apps

9. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

If battery life is important to you, then leave the Sensation out. S2 has better battery life.

The only think I liked about the Sensation is the Sense UI 3.0 and screen resolution (not quality). The rest, I like the S2 better.

PS: GSM Arena has their review on the Sensation up finally:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_sensation-review-605.php

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  10. Gaidin

Gaidin Member

Whats everyone using for cases for these?

Mine came with a crappy screen protector but that was useless so I want to investigate case and/or screen protectors for it now :)

11. tangcla

tangcla Member

Whilst I don't have one of these, I did get a BestSkinsEver skin for my Nexus S. Nearly invisible and it covers 90% of all surface area, which means the phone is pretty well protected and doens't add additional bulk/fatness or affecting ability of physical buttons :)

12. Gaidin

Gaidin Member

Cool, thanks I'll have a look into them. If the case is too thick then I tend to use them for 24 hours and then give up on them generally :)

13. Lardman

Lardman Member

Anyone know if these work with NextG yet?

14. d-tuned

d-tuned Member

Doesn't look like it, on all the tech sheets i have seen the phone only supports 900/2100 3G,

Mobicity have also dropped the price ~$300 and removed the NextG compatibility

the Sensation is now the exact same price as a Incredible S Next G compatible

great news for anyone happy to go with optus etc but really disappointing for anyone wanting to go with Telstra NextG,like myself.

15. eixt

eixt Member

there is a sensation version coming to AT&T which is the same as nextg

16. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Bell (Canada) are releasing an 850 version soon. This is what we need for it to work on NextG.

http://www.htc.com/ca/products/sensation4g-bell/#tech-specs

Also in New Zealand: http://www.htc.com/nz/product/sensation/specification.html

I'm also torn...I really love the look of the Sensation...and love Sense 3 (using it on my HD2 atm)...but it just severely lacks in performance compared to the Galaxy S2...but the S2 is a square horrible thing, and Touchwiz looks awful...

What to do, what to do...if I knew somethign else was coming from HTC in the next few months I'd hold off, but I'm not so sure there will be...

17. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

18. sanjay

sanjay Member

i was once a HTC fanboy like you, but when i saw the light i moved to samsung where i have never been happier :)

touchwiz 2.0 on the galaxy S2 is amazing, i wouldve never considered using touchwiz on my galaxy S but touchwiz 2.0 is a whole new kettle of fish that i am happy to cook :D

give it a go before dismissing it, otherwise youre doing nobody else but yourself a disservice.

19. tangcla

tangcla Member

According to Mobicity, the Sensation is $599 whereas the Galaxy S II is $729. I think that's good enough reason to for the Sensation.

Out of curiosity, who has a Sensation, and how do they rate actual real-world-usage battery life? Reviews can be so misleading. :rolleyes:

20. Tobes1990

Tobes1990 Member

Will be available with Telstra on the 12th. No word of pricing yet. I'm going to guess MRO only, cost either $768 or $864. We'll see how we go...