HTC Touch Diamond - looks the goods!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by harpie, May 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. harpie

harpie Member

Need a VGA PDA phone and was hanging out for the sony experia which looks delayed to end of the year.

The touch diamond looks to be even better to me and slated for June release.
    After using a Jas jar for a month I have decided I dont need a QWERTY and size matters. No bricks Thanks!

3G iphone killer anyone??

http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=46278

Highlights

2.8-inch touch screen, with four times the pixels of most phones.

Vibrant TouchFLO 3D user interface, responding perfectly to your finger gestures when scrolling through contacts, browsing the web, and launching media… all vividly displayed as photos and artwork powered by the 3D graphics processor.
    HTC Weather - providing a constant view of weather at home and abroad.
    Surf and download at broadband speed with HSDPA internet connectivity.
    3.2 megapixel auto-focus camera for quality stills and video.
    4GB of internal storage to preserve more photos, music, files and exchanged data than ever before.
    Integrated GPS for use with maps software for a full turn-by-turn satellite navigation experience.

2. jimboh2k

jimboh2k Member

The success of this phone will come down to how well it can hide away WinMo. They've tried and been successful somewhat in the past, but it still comes out as a sore thumb and it'll take quite a bit to succeed fully.

Personally, I think it would've served the phone better to be running something like Android or a homegrown OS, given all the innovation they seem to be marketing.

3. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Member

that really does look hot. nice specs too. doubt it will be an iphone killer though; would rather look at it as the iphone for over 25s?? :p

4. Radix

Radix Member

I've been drooling over this one lately too.. finally a worthy replacement for my beloved O2 Atom (which with a Windows Mobile 6 rom on it has kept me happy until now).

Here are the specs of this beast:
    • 2.8-inch VGA display
    • WinMo 6.1 Pro
    • WiFi, Bluetooth 2.0
    • eGPS, FM tuner
    • Quad-band HSDPA 7.2
    • 256MB ROM and 192MB RAM
    • 4GB internal flash, NO microSD slot
    • 528MHz CPU
    • 3.2 megapixel camera with autofocus
    • 10.7mm (0.47-inches) thick
    • features an orientation sensor / accelerometer
    • battery life is quoted at up to 270/330 minutes talktime for WCDMA/GSM or up to 396/285hrs standby for WCDMA/GSM from the 900mAh power-pack
    • The Touch Diamond makes use of GPU accelerated procedural graphics, so you will not see a backward-compatible TouchFlow 3D update for the current Touch. It's capable of doing 7-8mil polygons per second (not that many games or apps will make use of that right now).
    • HTC has made hiding WinMo away something of a priority; CMO John Wang stated, "You wouldn't even know this device was Windows Mobile. You would just think it's TouchFlow 3D."
    • HTC totally reworked the WinMo virtual keyboard (as you can see above). Definitely not the best laid out we've seen (okay, it looks kind of messy), but it's instantly lightyears ahead of what WinMo had before.
    • Opera "reflows" web formatting, which HTC is pitching hard. Basically it just reformats and wraps text on zoom -- unlike, say, the iPhone.
    • Unfortunately, the device still uses a resistive touchscreen, while the controls below are capacitive. That really ought to be flipped around.
    • One-touch navigation, including single-finger dialing
    • An accelerometer that rotates pictures as you rotate the phone
    • One-touch music playback with an animated music browser
    • A heavily-animated weather forecast app
    • Full-featured desktop-like web browser (Opera) with zoom-in tech that actually reformats to fit the screen upon zoom, although Microsoft promises IE 6 coming soon for it
    • Youtube app and content playback
    • Available in June in Europe via Orange and the "rest of the world" sometime later
    • Orange music store, games, wallpapers, and ringtone downloads
    • Orange mobile TV with up to 61 channels
    • No normal headphone jack - gotta use HTC's proprietary USB dongle
    • "Better battery life" than their other devices (although it uses a smaller battery than the Touch - we'll keep our eye on this) -- will offer a bigger battery at a later time for those who are experiencing battery life issues

Lots of promotional videos of it on HTC's Youtube channel
    Photo galleries of it - here, here and here

I _definitely_ want one :)

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  5. Neverborn

Neverborn Member

Lack of normal headphone jack kills this phone for me =/

(not that i'm quite in the market for one just yet!)

6. power

power Member

it does look awesome but this is definitely a potential problem.

7. godkilla

godkilla Member

Looks pretty nice, but I guess it all comes down to how long before we get it here as to whether I pick this one up.

8. talking goat

talking goat Member

I too want this phone. I have been using a i-mate sp5 for over 2 years, the longest I have ever used phone. I have been wanting a new phone for a while but have not found anything that really appealed to me.

I like the ocmpact size yet large enough screen for GPS maps to be usable, along with what looks to be a slick and usable interface. Unless some real bad reviews come out in the meantime or I discover a feature I require is lacking, then this will bemine, oh yes, it will be mine!

9. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Member

i'm really loving the fed-square-esque design too. it succeeds where the nokia prism did not :)

10. Tapek

Tapek Member

apart from the 100mhz faster cpu and a bit of extra ram, how is this any better then the touch cruise?

also i really would love a phone like the diamond or the cruise but i can never have a touch only phone, i need buttons i can feel or else i cant touch type sms while doing other stuff :( damn my need to multitask constantly!

anyone got any suggestions for phones like or better than the HTC touch dual? thats the best phone to suit my needs i have been able to find so far, but i would really like wifi or at least gps built in...

11. Radix

Radix Member

I think the main improvements are:

• VGA Screen
    • 5mm thinner
    • 4GB flash onboard
    • proper 3D graphics drivers
    • Windows Mobile 6.1
    • improved TouchFLO interface
    • accelerometer
    • opera mobile

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  12. power

power Member

this really sounds like something i'd trade the O2 Atom Exec i have in for, nothings really grabbed me until this - wonder if O2 are going to do anything slick and new soon...

13. OP
    OP
    harpie

harpie Member

14. power

power Member

15. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Looks good! The wife's been waiting for a decent replacement for her O2 xda mini for a while now.. any idea on price?

16. stuii

stuii Member

yeah I'm loking for a replacement for my XDA IIs -> but I'd want a normal headphone jack... with all of those multimedia features it'd suck to be locked out of using a good set of earbud/headphones...

Edit - that phone's style screams sex!!!
    Edit -> Also a pity but if I bought one I'd have to open it and remove the camera.... no cameras allowed in my workplace.. so I'd be hoping it's easy to dismantle...

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  17. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

eBay or international shipping stores? I bought my Tytn and XDAII from a Danish store and eBay seller respectively.

And both were at least $500 cheaper than you could buy them for here.

18. OP
    OP
    harpie

harpie Member

Where did you get these specs from as I cant confim if it will actually have a microsd slot? It doesnt say on the HTC webesite.

19. jimboh2k

jimboh2k Member

He got them from Engadget. HTC Tech Specs don't say anything about a MicroSD slot, just 4gb internal memory. Will have to wait for that info I guess.

20. BGH

BGH Member

Well I was all pumped to get a 3g iPhone but that thing sure does look the sex. Might have to hold out and see how things progress.