[HTML] Website critique wanted

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Tanus, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Tanus

Tanus Member

http://www.extreme-internet.com.au/~tanus/?page=main

Just a small thing that I did to build a user management system, and a news posting system, but decided to slap some HTML around it to make a site... only the site doesn't have any purpose yet ;).

Anyway, I'm not good at actual graphic design, so I thought I'd take this oppurtunity to get some advice as to how I could make this look not so crappy.

2. zeuss

zeuss Member

first thing i would do is make the width dynamic

then work on making a nicer set of borders etc so it had a little more personality.. :D

3. thetron

thetron Member

is this run on MYsql or just prints a HTML page

4. OP
    OP
    Tanus

Tanus Member

MySQL. I'm just playing around with a user management system, whereby people can register, then they're given access to certain functions within the site, and their own 'portal' I guess you'd call it, where they'd get their own subdirectory under the site for their own news pages, file dump and stuff. I had an idea for creating a centralised portfolios thing, as a few people I know were talking about building a portfolio of stuff (be it web/graphical/programming) but I dunno if I can be fucked continuing on with it unless there was more interest.

Also, I've done news posting systems before, but none that were nice and modular/portable so that I could just take it and stick it in a new site.

5. funkychild

funkychild Member

I'd do something with that header. That cloud picture looks to me like Photoshop's Render->Clouds. Try and come up with integrating the title into some sort of graphic up the top, rather than leaving them as two disparate elements. Currently, that 'Site Name' is looking very lonely out there in the middle of empty space.

Also, with such a grey looking background etc. I'd avoid using so much saturation in that blue. It's tending to clash with the background and that gold colour. Have a look for a colour that complements the gold.