HTPC experiment failed, need BD player advice

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Nova Phoenix, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Nova Phoenix

Nova Phoenix Member

My recent experiment into using ISOs through a HTPC has failed. Subtitles and audio on a fair few of the rips have failed mysteriously, and I can't find a solution. So, I may have to return to zero in this case. So then...

What is a good BD player that can:
    - be modded to become region-free for both DVDs and Blurays
    - starts up itself and loads discs fairly fast (not necessarily instant)
    - can be updated via firmware
    - can do HDMI 1.3 (1.4 isn't required as I'm not into 3D)
    - can do internal bitstreaming or whatever that process is (I have an AVR)

I have 5.1 speakers and an AVR (granted, an old Sony one from '08, but it is functioning even now) so that won't be a problem. Also got a Panasonic Plasma from last year, a V20A.

Also can anyone recommend a reliable website where I can import certain Blurays that haven't been released here in Australia yet?

2. arrow224

arrow224 Member

Multi-region BD is available on the Oppo BD-83, 83SE and the 93 and 95. However, they are fairly pricy in Australia, the 83's between $800 and $1000, the 9x's between $1000 and $1200.

3. OP
    OP
    Nova Phoenix

Nova Phoenix Member

Oppo it is then, cheers. I've heard nothing but good things about them. Will give it a shot. :D

4. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

What software are you using for BD playback on your HTPC?

5. OP
    OP
    Nova Phoenix

Nova Phoenix Member

Was switching between PowerDVD, VLC, and MPC-HC recently.

Certain DVDs/BDs, like Die Another Day and Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, had subtitles encoded, but they were not showing up. These movies were problems in the past, so I left subtitles as they were.

Normally, they should behave as a DVD/BD player would (in the case of the above films, they would only show up when the audio was not in the selected language). But instead, they have to be told exactly what I want, and even then it doesn't always work.

6. flu!d

Use Arcsoft Totalmedia Theater and rip/play the BD as a folder, not an ISO.

That's what I do, I've ripped my entire collection using AnyDVDHD to the media server and the folder plays just like a standard BD - I haven't had a single compatibility issue yet.

7. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

If you are after an Oppo - check on DTV Forum as there may be members selling their BDP-83's as they upgrade to BDP-93 and BDP-95's.

I have a BDP-83 with Region Free mod. Extremely happy with the performance and no need to upgrade to a BDP-93 or BDP-95.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  8. Zee

Zee Member

Another vote for Oppo. The best BD player you will ever find under $2k.

Maybe even $3k...

Z...

9. OP
    OP
    Nova Phoenix

Nova Phoenix Member

Thanks for the recent replies. I will definitely be checking out the Oppo-83.

I'm gonna have to start my BD collection all over again now. :-(

This experiment has been deemed as FAILED and will be discontinued. Which means I have no use for this 2TB external HDD now. :-(

10. flu!d

I honestly don't know how you couldn't get such a simple concept working reliably. Many people, myself included, run HTPC's that access numerous BD rips without a problem in the world - And all I had to do was install Totalmedia Theater and Media Browser and access my collection through Windows Media Center.

11. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

I'm exactly the same as above - no problems at all

12. flu!d

My HTPC has reached the point where it has totally replaced my PS3 as the main BD player, it now has better PQ than the PS3, compatibility issues are a thing of the past, it's region free and it bitstreams all HD codecs beautifully.:thumbup:

13. pie123

pie123 Member

Give the media centre another go, initial setup can have some teething problems, but nothing that can't easily be sorted out.

Run Windows Media Centre, get the Mediabrowser plugin, and also get TMT3.

I would then reccomend you get Shark007 codec package so you get everything playing back at its best.

Regarding the audio and subtitles, get Media Control - http://damienbt.free.fr/index.php#download

Select FFDshow to handle H264 in Shark, then assign media control to a button on your remote (i used the green button).

I would use MakeMKV to convert your BR-Rip to an MKV container (no compression), so that it will be played back via Media Browser.

From then on if you start a movie in Media centre/media browser, and press the green button, a subtitle/audio selection screen will pop up.

14. OP
    OP
    Nova Phoenix

Nova Phoenix Member

I'm having partial success with your suggestion. However there are problems still.

The movies at fault (that I have so far) are:
    - Die Another Day (need subs for Korean audio)
    - King Arthur (need subs for Celtic audio)
    - The Mummy movies (need subs for Egyptian audio in 1 and 2, Chinese in 3)

On real hardware players, this is no problem for legitimate DVDs. Unless user interaction is made, the DVD automatically selects subs for non-English audio, like the parts in the movies mentioned above.

It is THAT behaviour that I want to achieve! If I can do so once and for all, then the experiment will be back on.

EDIT: The experiment is off, for good. Repeated attempts have failed to get subs to reveal themselves in movies such as the ones listed above. So, the experiment will be shelved indefinitely.
    Thanks for all of your guys. It didn't work out, but it is still appreciated.

15. flu!d

Did you purchase/download/install Arcsoft's TMT or are you still trying to achieve something for nothing using free third party players and codec packs?

If you Didn't purchase TMT (which isn't expensive in the grand scheme of things) then I can understand why you failed. My HTPC is the most functional and best BD player in the house, period.

The only codec installed on my HTPC is Shark007's codec pack which I use solely to playback MKV rips in Windows Media Center, all BD playback is performed by TMT which functions just as good, if not better than an off the shelf player.

Forced subtitles (the ones you are describing) should come up automatically, basically you shouldn't be able to turn them off....Unless you are trying to rely purely on codecs to achieve you're desired result.

16. OP
    OP
    Nova Phoenix

Nova Phoenix Member

Yes I used TMT as you advised. Still no desired result.

17. flu!d

Do you get forced subtitles if you just play the disc as normal or is the subtitle issue limited to ripped BD ISO's?

18. OP
    OP
    Nova Phoenix

Nova Phoenix Member

The forced subtitles appear as normal when the disc is played normally. However when made into an ISO, it has problems.

19. flu!d

Stop ripping the Disc as an ISO. The beauty of TMT is that it can read the disc as a file, all you do is use AnyDVDHD to rip the BD as a straight folder/file and use TMT to play back that folder/file as if it were a disc.

That's what I do and I haven't had a single issue with forced subtitles.

Leave ISO's to the PowerDVD users, they're a waste of time when you have TMT3.

20. OP
    OP
    Nova Phoenix

Nova Phoenix Member

Actually I've acquired TMT5, but I guess it would be the same thing.

Okay I will give this one more shot. Cheers for the assistance. :)