HTPC / gaming itx

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by russkris, Jun 5, 2017.

1. russkris

russkris Member

Hi Guys,

Not really sure on the budget at this stage.

My son's birthday is coming up and I am looking to build him a small gaming/HTPC.

Doesn't have to be a rocket, I guess more cash to be spent on the GPU..

How about we start at $500 and see what we can do.

2. FOTW

FOTW Member

Hi, might need a bit more info as in what games he will be playing and what type of screen are you connecting it to 4K, 1080p or 720p?

If you want decent performance for 1080p gaming especially newer 3D titles I don't think you would be able to build anything for $500.

If hes playing basic stuff minecraft, angry birds, plants vs zombies, older generation games stuff like this you shouldn't have a problem finding something for about $500. Also $500 will get you a good HTPC.

You may want to look at getting some second hand stuff, perhaps have a look on the 2nd hand market for parts or someones older generation gaming PC.

Your also correct about GPU being most important for both games and HT so spend the money there.

Give us an idea of what your expecting him to play on it and the TV your connecting it to and I'll give you a part list that will do the job.

3. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

buy him an xbox/ps if your only look at spending $500

4. OP
    OP
    russkris

russkris Member

@FOTW - Many thanks for your helpful post. He plays a few open world survival Rust, ARK and some FPS like battlefield.

I have visited a lot of forums and websites and yes it can be built for $500 quite easy but it will have a lot of limitations.

So I guess my first line of my original post was correct, I am not sure on a budget and the last saying let's 'start' at $500.

I now am armed with all the info I need and am going to build 'something'. Cheers

5. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

Just be sure to post potential builds in the where/what to buy forums, very helpful people there.

I'd be looking at something fairly budget cpu/mobo wise, maybe a 1050ti gpu and 8gb ram should be a good start. Do you have any parts you can throw in from your old builds?

Are you okay with high power usage, second hand machines? You could do wonders with a GTX680 $90, sandy bridge quad core machine maybe $150 for board and cpu, 8GB ram $40, 120GB SSD $40, 1TB spinner $30, case and PSU $50 or so. use a bit more on a GTX970 GPU for $200 and you're flying.

Hell that's better than what I frequently game/LAN on and I do overwatch and BF1 just fine, detail settings lowered a little.

6. rickoles

rickoles Member

7. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

I just built a socket 1151 ITX for my daughter purely from secondhand parts and it owes me $455 with no gpu (it has a temp junk one in there). That could easily be a $385 build had I bought a new pentium cpu vs the secondhand 7350k it has. Actually even cheaper it has really top end ram too.

My HTPC has a GTX760 ($100 a year ago) and plays everything. It is ITX too and has a mix of new and secondhand and cost about $750. It has expensive board and PSU.

8. cheddo7

cheddo7 Member

My ITX HTPC i72600/8gb/128ssd/1tbhdd/GTX1060. All 2nd hand parts other than new Corsair 250D case.

Absolutely rocks for 1080p gaming in the lounge!

9. OP
    OP
    russkris

russkris Member

No I don't have any parts laying around, I just recently got back into PC's in general and broke away from laptop gaming(not cool). I do have 2 GTX760's as I just upgraded to a GTX1070.

That's a good start, I am getting a picture that GPU is the most important thing in the build.

Best thing is, it doesnt have to be ITX, maybe a smaller type mid tower or the one above ITX, whatever the smallest case that fits an ATX mobo.

10. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

How small though? The smaller you go the more expensive it gets.

11. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Alucard86ers/saved/TyrkLk

this should be a good starting point, bit more than you laid out though. plenty of room to add to. I did not include a case for that often is personal choice.

if you wanted to use both of the gpu's with SLI you may need a higher end board.

12. FOTW

FOTW Member

No Problem since you already have a gtx760 that is not a bad place to start for a gpu and you can alway upgrade further down the line, are you set on using itx form factor, if you go normal atx you will have more options. Also second hand parts should be easier to source.

I think any core i5, compatible mobo, 500w power supply 8Gb or 16GB of ram the 760 you have and a 120GB SSD or 1 250GB if you can push it should do the trick for you.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  13. OP
    OP
    russkris

russkris Member

@FOTW - No I don't think ITX is needed, he has space for a larger case, say a Mid tower or the smallest case that can fit an ATX in it. I only base this off the amount of gear sold in the sale threads.

Kind of moved my think towards a gaming rig more then a HTPC. Loads more options

14. rickoles

rickoles Member

I wouldn't recommend intel CPU's anymore except for their super budget g4560 or their k SKU's. Everything in-between is bettered by Ryzen offerings, especially if you can overclock.

15. cheddo7

cheddo7 Member

Agreed, this would easily be achievable under your budget :thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    russkris

russkris Member

Nice, I now(with the help from here) have a better understand of what would be required.

What about sound cards? Are they needed theses days if you only intend on play through the TV speakers of headset?

17. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

going though the TV... not really should be ok on the motherboard.

headset depends what you have and what your going to play. it is one of those things that is up to you (or your son) when using it.

18. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

I would recommend going with 16GB ram. Rust has a well known memory leak and I have seen it on several occasions up around 10-11 GB memory usage.