1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

HTPC HDD Options - Power saving

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by BlackTigerTech, Jul 19, 2008.

1. BlackTigerTech

BlackTigerTech (Banned or Deleted)

I'm having a hard time to deicide between a couple of options I have regarding the build of a new HTPC.

I have decided to build a very energy efficient machine based around a mini-itx platform, and need a tiny bit of local storage for the OS locally.

The thing is, I do not really want to use normal hard-drives as they have a pretty high power consumption. My other options are either a cheap 32 GB SSD drive (found one for just over $200 in SATA format) or to get a CF<->SATA or IDE adaptor and a cheap 32GB card.

The machine will be on 24/7 mostly playing radio or music, and will play the occasional video over the network, so the chosen storage will not have to be very fast or large. I am looking for something reliable as I do not want to redo this machine for at least 3 years or so:)

Link for the cheap SSD drive: http://flashmemoryking.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_11&products_id=26

Found some cheap CF there: http://www.hboutlet.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=1732_1764

Will there be a big difference between the SSD and CF drive in my situation? As basically either solutions would work out to be the same price!:thumbup::D

Thanks Guys!

2. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

just grab a 5400rpm 2.5" sata drive. they dont use much. More than a SSD, but cheaper. 320gb - $140.

3. OP
    OP
    BlackTigerTech

That's the thing tho, I will not use even 10% of that 500GB, which seems like a waste. The power requirements are huge too, as those little SSD Drives only use a few hundred mA of power.

And for $50 difference, wouldn't it be better to go SSD?

I plan on trying to run this off a 12v brickpack for the entire system, as to make it portable to carry to the garden and run off a car battery or something...:thumbup: I would only be having MythTV and probably 10-15GB of MP3s on it at any one time at the most!

4. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

thought about getting an ipod instead?

5. OP
    OP
    BlackTigerTech

Definitely. But If I have success with the power consumption of the whole system, I may build another one to use as a mail server at home. And maybe even another one for file storage with a couple of Samsung 1TB green power HDDs, with the HDD shutting down when not in use.:thumbup:

6. deva_da_man

deva_da_man Member

why not just buy a smaller 2.5" drive?

they 160gb ones are $66 now! and the 120's are like $55

7. OP
    OP
    BlackTigerTech

Good idea, I wil look into that.

SSD still seems to be the way to go so I may order some tonight or tomorrow. Can't go wrong with 32GB for $200!!!:thumbup::D

8. _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

I'd just grab a notebook hard drive, even if it uses more power, it will probably take years for power savings of the SSD to make it worthwhile.

9. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

whats wrong with a usb flash drive?

10. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Did you end up buying a SSD? Have you had any problems or dramas, or are there only good things to report?