HTPC/Home theatre setup questions

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Sebstar, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Sebstar

Sebstar Member

Hi guys,

I'm kinda new to all of this and thought I'd get some clarification here. I'm interested in setting up a bit of a home theatre setup and was eying off a NAS/NUC combo.

Ideally, I'd like to set up a torrent box on the NAS (Synology DS215j) or alternatively a win8 running NUC (using the NAS as storage) and then access netflix/downloaded content on the NUC via XBMC/Kodi.

My questions I guess are:
    1. Is running a NUC overkill? Can I setup a chromecast and stream content/netflix off the NAS?
    2. If I opt for a NUC, should I go win8 or openelec? I like the idea of it booting quickly and being barebones, but I also like the idea of running torrents/netflix off the NUC via windows (and by all accounts torrents on openelec isn't that sophisticated)
    3. Do you run torrents off win8 or off the NAS? Some torrents will be TV shows (so can RSS them) but others might be a bit more ad hoc. I'm assuming that torrenting will be much easier on a win8 based system than having to mess with synology's DSM software.
    4. Do people use keyboard/mouse combo (like Logitech K400R) or something like a logitech Harmony? I guess if you run XBMC off win8 people have a keyboard for the windows functionality but use a remote for the XBMC stuff... I know you can set-up your mobile to flick youtube videos to Kodi but is it easier to just use a keyboard and type it in straight away on win8?
    5. Is there a point in installing XBMC if you're setting up a win8 HTPC/Nuc? Or is it just the simplicity of having a remote-control navigatable interface?

Sorry, a lot of questions but just trying to figure out what the best options are in regards to setting up a home network.

Stuff I'm planning on getting:
    Intel Nuc Celeron
    8gb ram (overkill?)
    128gb SSD (if running win8)
    Win8 (?)
    Synology DS215j
    4tb WD Green
    Logitech K400r
    Logitech Harmony 650

Thanks

2. Zee

Zee Member

I run an i3 Nuc (this is the lowest spec that I could confirm does DTS-HDMA) with 4GB of RAM (overkill), 128GB SSD (also overkill, but all I could get at the time), and running Openelec and using a Synology DS 414.

My use is a td different to yours, though, as I use it strictly to make accessing my BD library easy. I rip my BD movies to the NAS as BD ISO, I then use Openelec/Kodi to watch the full quality movies, without the hassle of menus and warnings/ads.

I use an Apple TV for Netflix (cheaper than a copy of Windows), and I don't really torrent much anymore now that I have Netflix and HBO Go.

In your case, you may be better off running Windows, or perhaps a Linux distro (not sure if Linux has any Netflix streaming though?).

Z...

3. OP
    OP
    Sebstar

Sebstar Member

Well I set-it all up with the bellow items:

Intel NUC Celeron
    Kingston 4gb RAM
    16gb Samsung SDHC
    Logitech Harmony 650
    Synology DS215j
    WD Red 4TB
    Chromecast

Running it all through Openelec and the NAS does all the work (torrents). My only complaint is root access to the NAS seems to be a difficult thing to achieve (to see system files) but I understand why Synology doesn't want people to mess around with system files.

4. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Can i suggest an alternative.

Why not get an HP G8/N54L Microserver.

You can run full windows on it and have your HTPC and Torrentbox/Whatever on a single pc. From there you get the HTPC to handle decoding and stream to whatever you like.

Currently i use a N36L and have a vid card installed. Plug it straight into my TV. I manage everything on another logon on the N36L via remote desktop on my phone/pc.

Works a dream.