HTPC software?

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by robertgd, Sep 26, 2010.

1. driver

driver Member

Well it appears Media Center 7 can not share tuner streams!???

This is a major show stopper for me!

eg:
    1. Recording each TV network's same channels (eg: 7 & 7two) should only require one tuner.
    2. Recording two shows in a row on the same channel, should also only require one tuner.
    3. Recordings running on all tuners, then asking live TV to re-tune in to a one of the recording channels should also work.

Really surprised Media Center can't master this concept. The java-based TV Scheduler Pro that i've been using for years has always done this no worries. Mediaportal I believe can also do this (which i am about to confirm)

2. roweysvn

roweysvn Member

I'll have to check out something else maybe, this is what my image looks like :S

[​IMG]

3. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

MythTV under Linux has been able to utilise recording multiple channels from one network on one tuner for years too.

I'm not entirely sure why Media Center enjoys such a high profile since it's so hobbled in functionality. It can't even automatically flag out TV commercials.

Is that scaled down or 1:1? The bit rate appears to be a bit low, which is likely the fault of the original broadcast.

4. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Not too sure what you mean by not handling separate channels, but MCE does support 4 tuners now.

For myself I just use a Dual Tuner Avermedia Twinstar and it works great. Just hacked the guide the other night to display 13 lines, and also 4 lines on the popup one.

Picture quality is a HUGE variable, sometimes due to signal (too high/too low) and sometimes just software. My own Leadtek DTV1000 drove me nuts with pixellation so last week I tossed it for the Avermedia and now all channels are perfect.

If your TV picture is not every bit as good as your "real" TV, then something is wrong.

5. HyRax1

Eg: one physical tuner tuned into the Nine Network multiplex can stream channel Nine, GO! and GEM all simultaneously, but MCE doesn't support that. The three physical tuners I have on my server are setup to record up to 4 channels each, thus allowing 12 channels from three networks simultaneously.

Dunno why Microsoft limit MCE to 4 physical tuners either - you should be able to plug in as many receivers/tuners as you want, from whatever source (eg: DVB-T, DVB-S, etc).

6. slobber

slobber Member

So how would MythTV under Linux play back a bloooray disc or iso ??

7. HyRax1

Native BD and file structure support is coming in release 0.24 (post-decryption, which would include BD ISO's). Pre-decrypted BD M2TS streams can be played directly right now. DVD ISO's can be mounted and played like a regular disc right now.

8. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Fair enough, for me its MCE because its simple, does everything I want and the missus loves it. :)

9. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Has anyone used Boxee with a reasonably large amount of media? I reckon I have about 800gb of movies / tv shows etc, 60gb of music, and a lot of photos.

It's been scanning the media for hours - I can't tell if it's progressing or not? I would have thought it would take 5-10 mins?

10. OPM881

OPM881 Member

It will take a while, you will need to leave it overnight. I never used photos with my install of boxee, and only had roughly 16gb of music, but easily had 800gb of movies and tv shows combined and it took a while. It scrapes cover art and crap about the movies and shows and such, but only does it 1 file at a time so yea, it adds up....

11. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Aaaah cool - well thats fine if it takes that long.
    I think yhey need a 'status' indicator somewhere to show that it's actually still plugging away.

12. Vampire

Vampire Member

Thanks HyRax1 for the overview of MythTV, I had no idea it had that many features, and that screenshot you posted speaks for itself as far as picture quality. I'll give it a go this week sometime. Currently running Windows 7 Media Centre + Media Browser which works fine, but seems lacking in features in comparison.

13. OPM881

OPM881 Member

They used to have one, then they re-built the majority of its code when they changed from alpha to beta, and this hasnt been added back in. It is in the suggested features thing and is meant to be coming soon.

14. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

One of my HTPC's, using windows 7 and media center, regularly after its been tunrned on, 'cannot find the tuner' in Windows Media Centre and on a restart or two it works fine... anyone had a similar problem?

Case: Antec Fusion Remote HTPC Case
    Multimedia Remote: Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit USB x2
    HDD: Western Digital 1.5TB SATAII HDD 32M Cache Green Power
    Tuner:Avermedia TwinStar PCIE Dual DVB-T tunner embedded HDTV
    CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6Ghz AM3 95W 1
    Optical Drive:Asus DRW-22B2ST 22x DVDRW SATA Black NERO8
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H
    PSU: Power Supply 550W with SATA
    Memory: Corsair 2G 1333MHz DDR3 VS2GB1333D3 x2

Thanks guys.

15. cicada

cicada Member

Yeah mine does that. Not very often, only about maybe once every couple of months. I almost never turn my HTPC off, so that's about the only time it gets a reboot.

I'm using WMC7 x86. But it used to do it with Vista MCE as well.
    Hardware wise I'm not using anything even remotely similar to your build.

Intel Core2 duo of some speed (can't remember, 2.8ghz i think)
    Asus Commando mobo
    2 gig cheapo ram (Adata i think)
    3 x Seagate SATA drives of various sizes
    500W PSU
    Some newish Gigabyte nVidia based cheapo Video card
    hauppauge hvr-2200
    Genuine Microsoft media center remote with learning (no you cant have it mawahahaahahahaha)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  16. MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

Sorry to hijack (and this probably has been answered) but I'm about to piece together my HTPC to replace my WDTV Live and was reading through this thread with interest.

So the general consensus is if you're staying with Windows (which I am: Win7) Media Browser is the way to go? Is that the one built into windows? or is a thirdparty app-thingo?

Sorry for the noob questions...

M.

-edit- No tuners, just a streamer

17. cicada

cicada Member

Probably the ease of setup, the slicker looking interface and high WAF. But yeah, it is a trade off for increased limitations. And it does need an addon media browser to make it usable, as the built in library management is totally lolz

Historically for a lot of people, because all the networks in Australia used to simulcast the same crap, if they could find even one program worth watching/recording at any given time that was a bonus. I’m using WMC with the HVR220 dual tuner and that’s always been fine up until recently. However, now that the networks have differentiated their programming across their channels, there is often times I could use the more sophisticated channel handling of the alternatives.

Microsoft is never going to help you ditch the ads. That’s goes without saying, as it would only piss-off the networks who are in many ways their partners. In fact Microsoft wants to sell them ways to force you to watch the ads, or ways to limit the recording quality of HD content.

Anyway it’s 6 presses of the skip forward button on my remote to blow through a full length ad break. That takes a bit over 1 second and doesn’t bother me in the least.

However, I think it highly likely the day will come when I’ll have to abandon WMC, and that will be due to DRM. Media Center7 tries to install the ironically named “PlayReady” when you setup a TV tuner. You can decline the terms and conditions and it will not install the PlayReady DRM software, and it will continue to setup your tuner fine without it.

No problems with this as currently no Networks in Australia pay Microsoft so they can flag their content for protection. But obviously if some day they start doing this, and there is no hack, then I’ll be off to Myth in an instant.