HTPC vs HDD Recorder

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Draeve, May 31, 2013.

1. heller44

heller44 Member

The el-cheapo leadtek pci cards I use (2 of in the htpc) seem to work just as well as the set top box that I had previously..

Re mediaportal: after not trying it for a few years I installed it a couple of weeks back to give it a shot.. just as laggy as it ever was, for me..

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I live in a bad reception area, and the difference in tuner quality is noticeable, particularly with USB tuners. Since both the HTPC and the PVR connect to the same aerial system, I can only blame the tuners. Fitting a Hauppage HVR2200 dual hybrid ( I also use it as an analog capture card converting VHS tapes to digital) solved the problem.

When using the HTPC at my ex's place (in an area with decent reception) there is no apparent difference between any of the tuners, they all work fine.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  3. Sledge

Sledge Member

Don't seem to be able to find any up to date versions around.. they all seem to be these hybrid ones with analog tuners as well (welcome to the 90's).. with only dual digital.
    my wish list is:
    Quad tuner
    compatible with Windows 8
    MC remote included

Anyone know off hand which one suits the bill?

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

A quad tuner means you wont need an MCE remote. MCE only supports 2 tuners. Thats why you are having trouble finding quad tuners.

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

Really? Well, stick with Windows 7 and you can have 4. DigitalNow does a quad tuner, but I don't know whether it's compatible with win8.

6. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

http://lifehacker.com/5653961/tunersalad-increases-windows-media-centers-tv-tuner-limit

TunerSalad will let Media Center accept up to eight, raising the original limit of four.

TunerSalad is an extremely simple, one-click tool for raising Media Center's limit. Just open it up, select your region, and hit "Increase tuner limit". TunerSalad will double your tuner limit, so you can record all your shows at once.

7. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

My dad still uses a VCR to record tv! Is there a DVR which has a easy gui to record channels like you would in MCE? It has to be as simple as possible, recording the shows to DVD would be a real bonus.

Also, I will never give them a HTPC, I've used one for years and the troubleshooting is not worth the hassle.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Surprised at both these quotes. My Win7 (x64 pro SP1, 3770K) Media Center definitely only handles 2 tuners. I havent really looked into it as I rarely watch or record live TV, but now I will have to look into why this is so lol.. I will also look into Tuner Salad.. not because I need it, but simply because I can have it :)

I have a Hauppage dual hybrid tuner, because I do a lot of VHS conversions for some cash on the side, but I can have one digital, one analogue, or 2 of either but not more than 2 total from that card. I tried adding an old Leadtek 1000S to the mix, but Media Center tells me it doesnt support more than 2 tuners so I removed it again.

9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

My ex has a 250G Panasonic that is ridiculously easy to use. With only 250G though, she seems to be constantly deleting stuff to make more room, and it wasnt a cheap unit. It has a DVD built in and I am pretty sure she can record to DVD with it, but not sure if it is done in real time or later.

You cant teach them the joy of digital files and get rid of the DVD requirement?

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

Strange, Win7 definitely does 4. XP MCE was set for only 2, but you could increase that by messing with the registry (which may be what tuner salad is doing automagically for you). I've got multiple computers with win 7 (32 and 64 bit, home and pro) and multiple tv tuners and I've never had it tell me I was restricted to 2 tuners on any of them.

EDIT: Yes, I also have a panasonic dvd recorder with a hard disk. It's easy to use, similar to a vcr. Your dad shouldn't have any trouble with it. I think mine only plays disks (I don't know, don't really care), but you can get ones that also burn disks if you want to, but if you've got a big enough hard disk you might not need to go that route.

11. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Yeah we purchased a Panasonic DVDRAM dvr a few years ago, was around $600, what a waste of money that was and it only does SD, menu system is a nightmare. He would like to put some stuff away, if there was a way to at least record to a external hdd then at least I can put them on a dvdr/usb stick for him.

12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I dont know the model you had, but I have found the Panasonic GUI to be dead easy.
    Check this one out...

JB HiFi Panasonic DMR-HW220 Full HD 1TB (+ external expansion) PVR $388

13. heller44

heller44 Member

Dual pci leadtek twin dvb-t's in my htpc as well, w7mc no probs.

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, the Panasonic dvd recorder isn't really a "tape things to hang onto" type device, it's more suitable as a "tape it if you miss it, watch it, delete it" type of device. Having said that, it really depends on how big a hdd you get in it and what length shows you are recording.

I don't find it remotely difficult to use and I can't be bothered with anything. It's not as good as WMC where you just pick your show and it can tape every episode, but it's no more involved than the old vcr programming was, and you can pick a show off the guide and record it that way, so you don't have to manually put in the start and end times, channel etc. if you don't want to.

15. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

So it has a similar gui like the WMC guide and you simply choose it and press REC?

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

You can program it like an old VCR, bring up the setting thing, put in channel, start and end times, etc.

There's also a button called "flexible recording" and you can press that and just select a timeframe (up to 8 hours) and it'll record what you're on until the time is up (so you can tune into something about to start, or get the end of a movie or something that way).

Or you can bring up the EPG and select a listing, that brings up an option menu "View, Timer Rec Set, Timer Rec Edit, Timer Rec Cancel". Then you select Timer Rec Set and it's got the scheduled start and stop times already in there, you change them if you want to add some buffering time. Selecting your shows from the EPG is like a shortcut to filling in the timer recording setting. It's not as good as WMC, you don't just select a show and there's a buffering time setting elsewhere, you are still setting the start and stop times yourself. You are also setting the recording frequency yourself, so if you set up a show weekly, it doesn't know that it isn't "your" show when the season is over like WMC does, or adjust it if there's a scheduling change. But it's not more difficult than a VCR, and the EPG makes it even easier. You needed to get those G-codes or whatever they were called for a VCR. The EPG makes that info already in there to use.

17. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Cool cool, thanks for that, would love to see one in person, shame JB probably don't demo them. When it comes to my dad and tech, it's not a win win situation, hence the reason why I need to do my homework. Only issue I have with well known name branded units is that they are restricted in some ways, for e.g
    My old Panasonic DVR=only records 16:9 on DVDRAM, menu is shit
    Samsung smart TV= great for video playback but doesn't do subtitles
    xbox 360=doesn't play mkv
    etc
    yet yumcha stuff usually does most things.

If you could export the vids, that would be awesome in case if he wanted to archive something, would be a bonus.