Huawei Mate X smartphone folds face out

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Sankari, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Sankari

Sankari Member

(Source).

[​IMG]

Huawei has said you can multitask with two apps simultaneously (as opposed to three with the Galaxy Fold). Design is great, but if you look very closely it seems that a faint crease is visible in the middle of the fold (unlike the Galaxy Fold, which appears seamless).

Price: US$2,600.

2. shredder

shredder Member

Funny how far these prices have come over the past decade.

But, stupid question: putting aside fancy form factors, status symbolism, and oneupmanship - what do these things do that an old Android phone didn't?

3. OP
    OP
    Sankari

Sankari Member

Galaxy Fold offers triple app multitasking, pretty sure that's new. Also 5G, and an expanding screen.

I think they're hoping the corporate sector will consider these phones a viable phablet/tablet crossover (in which case, a Windows phone would make more sense). But yeah, not for me.

4. yoink

yoink Member

Hmm, at 1:33 in that video, the screen looks like it has various stress issues (judging by the way the light shines off it), is that a real device, or some kind of prototype? If it's a real device, we might have a reason the Samsung Galaxy Fold does what it does...

upload_2019-2-25_9-56-53.png

5. shredder

shredder Member

Yeah can't say I understand the things. For that price it needs to replace my desktop computer in every sense, if not more (I don't even spend that much on a full gaming desktop) - which it's a long, long way from doing. Can't get my head around that sort of price for a little handheld thing.

Real productivity on a ph-tablet touchscreen is like using a real computer with both hands tied behind your back.

Android multitasking is shiteballs, I can count the number of times I've used the existing (Nougat+) multitasking functionality on a few fingers - the exact number of times it took to test it and realise it's pointless. Making the screen twice as big doesn't alter that at all.

As it stands, I could tape two phones together, and voila a folding phone!, able to run two (or four) apps fully independently!, omg AUD3600 cha-ching!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Nothing wrong with the price.. This is the latest and greatest... Whats actually funny is how far the chinese has come now. They are now on par with koreans who surpassed the Japanese quite a while ago. They will soon dominate many other markets the way they are going

What would be the ultimate device is a s10 size foldable which is the same thickness folded...

7. OP
    OP
    Sankari

Sankari Member

It's a real device.

8. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Sure but id much rather a Wahway Mate 20 X that has a 7" screen already + a $2000au laptop for the same price

9. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Laptops don't have foldable screens... :)

I can see these things become the standard in a couple of years

10. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Maybe, i just cant give a stuff about these foldables and see it as a fad like 3D TVs and tablets

11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Now I've seen the samsung galaxy fold, this thing is way ahead. I wouldn't even consider the samsung over this. Then again the price of these things.. I wouldn't be buying either anyway.

12. sanjay

sanjay Member

I agree the Mate X looks like a much better implementation, however what concerns me is having that plastic screen exposed all of the time...we've already seen how fragile the Samsung Galaxy Fold internal screens are.

13. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Almost back to the point where you need one of those old school cases with the plastic window. Damn that would look like garbage lol. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable carrying this in a pocket with *anything* else though.

It does look like they've done a much better job sealing around the hinges, so it should be better protected against the dust ingress issue that the sammy's seem to be having.

14. shredder

shredder Member

Incredibly expensive devices, and everyone's first and most prominent thought is anxiety about breaking them.

Not ready for market.

EvilGenius likes this.
  15. Calindor

Calindor Member

That's the better design of the Samsung over this Huawei. The fact that they are foldable screens means that they have to be plastic. The fact that it is malleable plastic means that it can't be as scratch resistant as glass, and so means that it is a much better decision to hide that fragile screen on the inside of the device, as in the Samsung Galaxy Fold, to better protect the plastic screen from regular wear and tear.

I'm glad to see both Samsung and Huawei pushing the tech and design on these things - it is good to see innovation. Personally, while I can see the use case that they're going for, it is not something I can see will be useful for me. Will still watch the development with interest though.

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I actually think the samsung design is a liability. It's far more fragile than they want you to think, what happens if you sit on that thing with the gap between the hinge? Having the screen on the outside might expose it to more risk of scratching, but when it folds shut it doesn't leave gaps, and in doing so makes the folded screen usable area far better than the sammy.

17. mtma

mtma Member

If the Galaxy fold's screen issue is down to internal stresses in the screen layer, having it on the outside might not be too good for longevity either, so I don't know if the change has made much difference to a hypothetical 'sitproofness' scenario.

The same with pens, most likely you won't want to be using pens on it because of the point stresses pen usage will generate on the screen.

Just increases the status symbol value.

If I actually had one of the current foldable phones I would probably be leaving the phone on the table standing up and half unfolded most of the time - but then again, like most I'm not into the $2,600 phone market so it's more or less moot.

18. money_killer

money_killer Member

cant see me self getting a fold-able screen any time soon. i just dont see the need for it

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No point for either, and just way way too exxy.

20. Hater

Hater Member

i'd be using the absolute bejesus out of it

while it's in warranty

if it's a shit design that keeps breaking, the sheer amount of claims i make would make them think twice about releasing it