Hunter Valley Airshow - Tomorrow Sat 6 April and Sun 7 April

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Scootre, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Scootre

Scootre Member

Anyone going? https://www.huntervalleyairshow.com.au/

It's on tomorrow Saturday 6/4 and Sunday 7/4 at Cessnock airport, about 9 km further on (from Syd) out of Cessnock, after you go past McDonalds there. Forecast is for sunny conditions both days; Saturday 29C and Sunday 31C.

Going up with a mate. This will be my first airshow so hoping this one will be a good learning experience before I graduate to Avalon. LOL. Taking some inspiration from Vladdo's shots.

2. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Should be an awesome airshow and is fundamentally Paul Bennet's baby. The rumor was they were hoping to secure a F35 for a Mustang, F/A-18 and F35 formation but sadly not to be.. Still, Spitfire, Mustang, Hurricane and the new PC-21 and the one that brings the boys to the yard, the Hornet.. Sadly, I can't make it but get out there and enjoy the day(s) and take a heap of shots..

There's another airshow in a month at Illwarra so if you enjoy tomorrow/sunday, have another crack in a month :)

3. OP
    OP
    Scootre

Scootre Member

Yep, wanting to do that one because of a knee problem that was resolved by use of a surgical circular saw and a titanium replacement in June and I was not in and state to go to last year's Illawarra Show. LOL. I'm still not quite right; apparently a bit too young for a knee replacement. Nonetheless, I'm going to this show and then Illawarra by hook or crook.

Somehow, I've managed to safely jam all this into my Airport Accelerator Backpack. Which weights a ton and will give the knee a workout.

5DIV, 500/4L II, 300/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L II, 16-36/4L, 1.4X III, 2.0X III. Plus a big Gitzo carbo tripod and Wimberley WH-200 Gimbal in a tripod bag. Plus a folding stool. And a bottle of water.

It doesn't look like it from the pic, but it's a tight fit. And the 70-200 sits upright but the lid easily zips closed.

Oh, and I recently bought a LaCie DJI Copilot 2Tb drive. It is bloody brilliant [edit: no it's not. I'm returning it. See post below]. I took it on a week long roadtrip to outback NSW. Shoot on the 5DIV and a drone and just plugged the cards into the drive and it auto sucks the files off. Has a built-in battery that lasts a long time [Edit: actually, no it doesn't - see post below]. Certainly way past a full day or two of shooting. Best thing I ever bought.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  4. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Ahh yes.. now I remember.. you're the guy with the bung knee.. well hopefully it's all sorted now and you can enjoy the airshows.

That's a LOT of gear.. holy shit that's a lot.. lol.. I thought I was bad but man.. you take the cake.. lol.. This is the problem that I have at airshows. I'm just too buggered to swap lenses around etc so I just don't bother with ground shots.

Thank you thank you thank you.. I've been looking for something like the Copilot for years but could never find anything. That said, years ago I did have something similar for Compact flash and SD but it refused to work with bigger cards. The addition of a USB 3 port would be brilliant for my CFAST cards and I don't have to lug around a laptop. Will definitely get one of those.. Infact, it almost renders having 10 memory cards to be pointless. Just have 2.. Out in the field, have 1 card in the camera, 1 card being copied across, repeat as necessary. Copy and swap cards during the downtime between each display..

Good luck for tomorrow and sunday.. hopefully your knee holds up and I hope you get some shots that put mine to shame.. lol

5. OP
    OP
    Scootre

Scootre Member

Hey Vladdo

The show was awesome. I shot heaps, though haven't had a lot of time to go through them yet. But I wanted to jump in here and tell you to not bother buying the LaCie Copilot.

I bought mine and took it on a road trip for a week and it was great, with my being able to back up shots of the NSW Outback from my 5DIV and Mavic Pro. But I wasn't shooting heaps of frames. The next opportunity was this Air Show.

On a full charge, the LaCie DJI copilot was able to back up just three of my 64Gb cards before the battery died. Bloody ridiculous. And, in ambient temps of 28C, sitting in the shade, the unit was too hot to touch after backing up each card. After the third card, it was so hot I have to sit the Copilot drive amongst bottles of iced water. It's rated for use in up to 35C ambient.

All in all, do not buy the LaCie DJI Copilot hard drive. It does not do what it is claimed to do and runs too hot to safely store with your equipment, given it's got a nice big Lipo battery that really should not be overheating. I never noticed the thing getting hot on my NSW Outback trip, where outside temps were up to 41C, because I kept the Copilot drive in the air conditioned car, sitting on a pillow on the floor doing its backups with the footwell a/c vent blowing.

I rang LaCie. The woman in the overseas call centre I spoke to told me threat I should be able to back up 60 x 32Gb cards to the drive on a full charge. So ~30 x 64Gb cards. I said, "so the battery will last until I pretty much fill the capacity of the 2Tb internal drive?" Then she changed it to "at least 50 cards (~25 x 62Gb). Then she changed the story again and said, maybe 20 cards (~10 x 64). What a load of crap. I got three cards back up before this thing died. Oh, and charging the bastard on mains power takes, oh about 4 hours. I give up. This piece of junk going back to the shop. Back to lugging a Macbook Pro.