1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

HWBOT Discussion Thread Ver2

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by gazza30, Dec 4, 2011.

1. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

keep an eye on your multimeter when you're messing with voltages, messing with vccin and vcore together can make vcore jump around a lot further than you might expect.

2. sskmercer

sskmercer Member

Will do, part of learning.

3. robbo2

robbo2 Member

The random shutdowns you get from these pentiums will drive you insane

4. sskmercer

sskmercer Member

The probe bit on the board for VCore is cactus.

Yup lol. Vccin was 1.95v is 2.0 ok then?

5. sskmercer

sskmercer Member

It's def a combo of clocks/volts. Not 100% stable on the same as what I ran with the SS. Just got to find the right spot, hopefully to improve on my scores.

6. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

waves to everyone :)

TBH, even I do not recall whether or not I wanted i4memory name or part of it retained :lol:

the i4 is meant to mean = eye for

So it was eye for memory.

So if it was i4 OCAU = Eye for Overclockers Australia or Eye for Overclockers in Australia

7. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

Could you be happy with "Australian OC" on its own Eva?
    welcome back by the way.
    I think this is a simple enough name that we can merge under and almost everyone can be happy with.

8. eva2000

yeah Australia OC minus the n sounds better but yeah whatever ever the rest of the Team AU colleagues and OCAU team side agree on should be fine. Been out of oc'ing myself for way too long :o

9. headin2001

headin2001 Member

You need to get back into it Eva, brings me back to the old Crucial Ballistix days pushing 12-1300 ddr2 on air. Ah, the memories! :p

Good to see you around again.

10. eva2000

more into web servers these days.. you can't overclock those much though :D

11. dinos22

dinos22 Member

DDR4 is here dude, you need to expand your title!

12. eva2000

ah but i'm not addicted to DDR4 yet :D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  13. sskmercer

sskmercer Member

First DICE Runs (lots of pics).

Firstly I have to say thanks to the guys that offered and gave assistance in helping me out. This goes with preparing the board to little issues while benching. Most of that turned out to be voltage related and by the time I realised this I had very little DICE left. Luckily I didn't encounter any real problems or kill anything which really helps with the motivation to push on next time.

Pot base and probe

[​IMG]

CPU/Socket area ready to go

[​IMG]

Ready to go (remember to put TIM on before this:lol:)

[​IMG]

Early shot of of run

[​IMG]

Temp during run -71.5c for the pot probe

[​IMG]

Pot at the end of run

[​IMG]

Bottom of pot after tear down

[​IMG]

Socket area after run

[​IMG]

and lastly a little frosty around the socket it self, hopefully that's norm.

[​IMG]

Can't wait to do this again The chip certainly has more in it and i think the board/bios is holding it back a bit. Also this really is addictive fun isn't it, now to see if my 4770k is actually really good or not LOL. Bring on the 6ghz club next.

14. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

Why do you use acetone instead of ethanol/metylated spirits? I think you get the came cooling effect but less flammability with ethanol.

15. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

ice around socket there totally normal. just make sure you dry the board thoroughly before starting it again. I usually set the psu to start with a paperclip and then sit a fan over the board overnight to push air on the board and dry it out.

16. sskmercer

sskmercer Member

The experienced guys can answer that one, but something to do with how it reacts and can go lower I believe than other fluids.

Thanks Matt, good to know its normal. The board is in a window drying now and looks good ATM. Might start it up on Saturday night after work to check everything.

17. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

acetone works, easy to get, cheap.

18. newlife

newlife Member

Metho works almost as well and is cheaper and a lot easier to get than acetone as it's sold at supermarkets for $5L

19. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

I have a dewar, who needs dice :p

me because im really poor

20. moloko vellocet

moloko vellocet Member

Catching up a bit here, so please forgive the massive multi-quote reply. :eek: :p

Australia OC :thumbup:

Truest post on this topic.

While I play more of a role behind the scenes these days, Eva's blessing is most important (good to see that above - thank you George). His testing methodology is the single point that I conclude is the reason for my career in the technology industry.

George, you'll always have my respect. :) :thumbup:

Agreed on both fronts. OCAU blokes mentioned are tops and have their minds focused in the right direction: community growth and support.

Chris, do you want to be my spokesperson? Because you're on the money bro.

I took some risks back in the day when I was at Atomic, flowing samples down to James that I wasn't meant to be. The bullshit results that James managed to push out of that poor little ASUS P5K will forever be in my OC memories. He just wouldn't let that little board die!

The way the AU community (and our NZ bros) has developed and been nurtured over the years is the reason we all have a common direction and don't require an overbearing "leader" - we lead one another, all for the benefit of the community. Those who only look out for and after themselves simply don't last in this community. This is perhaps the greatest aspect that I respect.

Bloody oath!

Celebrate the achievements (singular and group) and appreciate the efforts made, helps to promote a positive community vibe and direction.

Truuuuueeeee! That first dice slushy is something to be remembered.

I'm getting flash backs to my garage, Dino. And later, LN2 in your OC dungeon. :D :thumbup:

-------

I'd like to take a moment to address a topic that in the past was a touchy subject. There was a comment a few pages back alluding to this touchy subject - product samples/seeding.

I think this was mostly an issue because in the past the individuals in charge of sample supplies from the major (tier 1) vendors were suits in an office, not thoroughly informed about the Australian OC scene; who's active, who's contributing, etc. This is a hugely different scenario now with ASUS, GIGABYTE and MSI samples all being managed by community members. There is no need for people to be precious about their industry contacts. If I'm to speak frankly and openly, this is a petty move to make regardless, as it doesn't promote growth. It does the opposite and stunts the awareness, influence and understanding of our hobby within the industry.

There is an important message that must be understood from this point forward. Samples typically go to those who push the boundaries, care for the community, give back to the community in one way or another and demonstrate a talent for what they do. Want to get on the sample bandwagon? Work hard, give back and truly care for what we all love and cherish. In for a quick dollar? I guarantee you will not last.

The Team.AU guys can all tell stories about international guys that lost their way and ultimately got dropped by vendors. Don't join these ranks, whether it's national or international level - it's not a club you want to be in.