1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

HWBOT Discussion Thread Ver2

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by gazza30, Dec 4, 2011.

1. JunkDogg

JunkDogg Member

Some info required please gents.

Are there any pots in particular to go for? Or more to the point pots to stay away from.

Turns out after a bit of looking around and talking with a mate. I will be able to get some DICE from time to time. Will just be in spits and spats though.

Thanks in advance though for any info.

2. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

Almost all of us use and recommend Kingpin pots.
    Id probably only stay away from anything that isnt De8auer, SF3d (aka EK waterblocks). but the long and the short of it is, Kingpin makes excellent pots, and they're usually the cheapest.

3. sskmercer

sskmercer Member

Hey I can second this from my limited 4hr experience lol. I was using the KP and it really is pretty painless.

4. Jimba86

Jimba86 Member

OCAU HWBOT TEAM THREAD Ver2

Kingpin or der8auer is what I would go with. Kingpin you have to pay shipping and with der8auer you don't but the pot cost similar but can be more.

I use kingpin pots as do most here.

5. robbo2

robbo2 Member

KP F1 Extreme is a great all rounder. Good for full pot and cold bugged chips.

6. Bullants

Bullants Member

I think the Kingpins Gemini is awesome,I use this every time,fast base seems to be great for CB-CBB,if heating up going full pot,pull down is awesome.The only thing is keeping it at a steady temp but really is quite easy once you've used it few times,also don't ask me why but my fluke thermometer don't lie,I am able to get about -4-5 c colder when using this Gemini pot compared to the full copper pot F1 extreme

I really prefer it just because of its speed and really isnt that hard to handle with cb chips

7. JunkDogg

JunkDogg Member

Cool thanks guys. Lots of useful feedback there(geez you can tell I work in Management :o ).

Will update you all upon a purchase. :thumbup:

8. sskmercer

sskmercer Member

Keep an eye on the FS forums as you might get a bargain like I did & no I'm not selling mine guys, I'm friggin hooked like crack whore.

9. t8y

t8y Member

Hit up newlife, think he still has my old Kayl pot, likely quite cheap..
    Thing was great for dice

Otherwise when dice isn't an option a rad submerged in an esky of ice water works OK and still rookie/enthusiasts league legal ;)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  10. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

make sure you keep an eye on the hwbot forums for sale section if you're able to view it.
    http://forum.hwbot.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=122

just be aware of international shipping of course.
    And id still recommend going a "brand name" pot as well. saves you money in the long run.

11. sskmercer

sskmercer Member

Matt he might not have access yet to the hwbot FS section, needs to be 3mts or something I think.

12. JunkDogg

JunkDogg Member

Yeah Rookies can't access the HWBOT for sale forums. Which is a shame.

Also. NEED HELP.

I'm 6 points off the lead in the AMD Rookie Rumble and I think my Sempron 145(old faithful) has shit itself.

It clocks up to 3600Mhz fine on stock voltages. 3700 will go into windows. As soon as I touch it with any volts on the vcore it just BSOD everytime I try windows.

Any advice. I'm gathering it's just dying.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  13. youngpro

youngpro Member

i run 2 pots, gemini for quick binning/testing and short sessions, the pot can get down to temp in 2 minutes

i use the f1 dark for x79 and any serious benching, moves slower but holds load better, less time focusing on pot temp, more on GPU and the system

both important for regular benching

the der8auer gear is real nice too, GPU pots are the best around, but very expensive

14. JunkDogg

JunkDogg Member

Thanks guys, I'm looking at Kingpin pots. I might just wait, save a bit of money and get CPU, GPU and Mem all at once. Less shipping then have all I need.

Also got the bug last night that was causing all the grief with getting a high clock on my sempron. Was the memory, it would appear that AM3 doesn't like my 2133 ram.

The chips seem to work fine up until you have to punch some more volts in the Vcore. Then it just doesn't like the memory. I changed it out with some Corsair 1600C9 stuff I have and all good. Got the benches I needed in a hurry and hopefully have wrapped up another AMD Rookie Rumble. Will know tonight I guess.

15. sskmercer

sskmercer Member

Very nice JD and good luck in the rumble.

On another note my wife is awesome, rainy day, not well child and I'm at wrk with a present waiting for me.

[​IMG]

Damn that be a lot of crack (ICE) giddy up.

16. JunkDogg

JunkDogg Member

Awesome mate. I expect to see some subs in the next 48 hours. :thumbup:

17. sskmercer

sskmercer Member

There will be something, just not sure which chip I want to play with. Either Pentium, 4670k or my 4770k.

18. JunkDogg

JunkDogg Member

Go the pentium. Love these chips.

Bought a mATX mobo the other day and put together a small gaming rig with a 280X while I've got the bog one stripped down.

OC'd to 4.5 24/7 and wow. The improvements I've seen in BF4 compared to the FX-8350 is phenomenal.

19. sskmercer

sskmercer Member

I very tempted by doing the PE chip again, but i'm limited by using the Z87 chipset ARGH. Then my 4770k the last thing I want to do is kill a potentially golden chip with some noobness issues LOL.

Most likely chuck in the 4670k (change the bios back to X05) as on LN2 it got a valid 6.3-6.4 CPUz so I could get some fun/boints with that. Maybe chuck on the RAM pot also:wired:

Edit - Or let you let you guys VOTE on what I should go for. Plus have a little i3 4340.

20. t8y

t8y Member

use it all on ram, CPU on water, use the 4770k @ 4/5ghz for challenges.
    learn some PSC clocking :thumbup:

depends on what you want to do though, if its still a "testing" thing or if you want to move up to extreme league and get some bigger 2d bench scores submitted

could get some good results on the 4340 with dice though, if you did go the submission route. bclk scales alright when cold, can help if you cool the chipset also