Hypercube Evolution 3D Printer

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by aXLe, Jun 21, 2017.

1. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Any updates, Axle? I still have to make a start on mine, my little Prusa is so slooowww....

How is the cast alu bee working, you like it?

2. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Hi - fitted the plate but I need to update the extruder. Bowden is too problematic on such a long tube - going to update it with a Bondtech BMG style direct extruder. There's always something else to do :)

3. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Ha lols, I just last night ordered the Bondtech QR and E3D V6. But no sweat, I will fiddle with it once I get going, need to get the hardened rods still, and then decide on which bearings I want to use.

Either Igus and/or std linears. Will see, as Igus needs some special prep wrt fitting if you don’t take the enclosed ones. But the rest of the stuff, including Duet WiFi, 7” Touch LCD, 0.9 deg steppers et al, I already have. Just need to start on the frame now.....I have a lot of 40x40 profile, might just as well use that.

Axle, now that you’re here: Do you have a link for that cast bed you ordered? I need to get one too, but your original link is not working for me. Will be appreciated;)

Cheers,
    Beano

4. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

Thought about going to a cable drive extruder? Would be good to keep the gantry light.

Something like this:
    https://flex3drive.com/

5. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

If they havent shipped, I'd get them to swap for direct f you can. I got the cast plate from these guys who waterjet cut it to size :
    http://www.calm-aluminium.com.au/

I'm using carbon rods on the x axis with igus bearings - its alright but doing it over I think I'd worry less about speed and just use steel rods and bearings. Especially now I'm moving it to a direct drive extruder.

rockofclay - hadnt seen the cable drive extruders - could well be the way to go to keep the gantry light as you say. Cool :)

rockofclay likes this.
  6. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Cheers Axle,
    Appreciate the linky!

They’ve already shipped it, somehow I will make it work, but I can also anyway mount the hot-end to it, no sweat ;) But I will have a play with the Bowden setup first, can always redesign the X-carriage mount.

Have a good one, I should be able to start a log soon. Have been messing with the Duet 3D WiFi on the weekend, got some steppers and thermistors connected, Wifi enabled and done some configurations via Reprap configuration and the Duet web-interface. A nice bit of kit that :)

7. m3k

m3k Member

as a user of both marlin and rep-rap firmware, the only thing that annoys me about the duet firmware is the lack of new feature support, like backlash compensation and S-curve acceleration-

these are game changers on very large builds or builds that happen to be a bit sloppy in hardware but need some calibration- due to .... u know- not being able to afford the highest quality parts

granted i dont think it works for core-xy yet-
    and also i saw the loctite you used on those grub screws haha very thorough

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  8. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Axle: I will start my HevORT build during the next couple of weeks, just waiting for a few key bits and pieces to come in. Will start a build-log then.

Cheers,
    Beano

tumutbound and aXLe like this.