Hypoallergenic shelter cats?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Meeprawr, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Meeprawr

Meeprawr Member

Hi, I'm thinking of adopting a shelter cat, but I am mildy allergic. I am aware of the major hypoallergenic cat breeds, but the chances of a ragdoll or anything like a sphinx in shelters, I'd imagine, would be incredibly low.

I've lived with cats before, I've lived with someone with a domestic short hair, which was manageable with my allergies, but I was hoping to ask around to see if anyone else has had experience or recommendations for a cat breed that is either short hair/low shedding or lesser known to be hypoallergenic, but also common enough to be adoptable in shelters.

Before anyone says 'just go to a shelter', I just needed a starting point help me start looking when browsing online ads, I'm tentative at this stage and would rather not need to visit each cat to see if I start flaring up or not.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. power

power Member

express your interests with a few adoption groups and i'm sure they would keep you in mind.

are Ragdoll's low allergy? I thought they'd be the opposite. I know a group that has two bonded older Ragdoll's.

3. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

You'd be surprised how common ragdolls are in shelters, they're being bred at a stupid rate atm and go up for adoption at the same rate as anything else. We've got two adopted cats and *BOTH* of them have ended up being hypoallergenic. One's a norwegian forest cat cross, and the other is a turkish van. Both long hairs.

Check out petrescue.com.au, they're an aggregator/search engine for pets from ALL the rescue groups, not just the RSPCA but all the private no-kill rescue groups too.

4. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

It's not the hair, it's the saliva of the cat that then gets put on the hairs.

You should be able to spend time with a cat to see if you get a reaction before adopting.

Shelter cats aren't really classified with real breeds. They're all a guess, as the testing costs way too much, so it's difficult to say if they match the breed you know is allergen free/low

millhouse and the_fuzz like this.