1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

I busted my Motherboard Mosfet that controls the FANS in my system HELP!

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Andon9, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Andon9

Andon9 New Member

[​IMG] Hey guys i'm having lots of trouble finding an equivalent part for my motherboard. My motherboard is the ASUS Maximus Hero Alpha VIII Board - 1151-- z170 chipset.
    From what I know the part is listed as NIK PA102F06 which represent linear voltage regulators. They are used for voltage control on FAN headers.
    Would appreciate the help lads :)
    [​IMG]
    Thanks, Andon

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  2. _zak

_zak Member

You're having issues for two reasons: the part number is PA102FDG, and it's a MOSFET, not a voltage regulator :) If you want to replace like-for-like you can find them on eBay or Aliexpress by searching for that part number. Niko-SEM are based in Taiwan, and that part is being obsoleted so will be tricky to find at Western distributors.

If you're confident with electronics, the data sheet is here, and you could match/exceed characteristics to get a replacement. One thing to be aware of is that motherboards can be nasty to solder as they're often 8-10 layers, which means a lot of heat sinking potential.

Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Andon9

Andon9 New Member

Thanks for the help :)

4. OP
    OP
    Andon9

Andon9 New Member

Would you say that this mosfet I have blown is essential to running the motherboard normally?

5. Recharge

Recharge Member

HOW did you blow it?

6. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Very sexy board... just can't zoom in enough to see the actual device markings to confirm.

Going off _zak's details, this page has a cross reference link for PA102FDG, and you'd have to look at T0-220 package variants.

Soldering that will also take some serious hot air reworking. If you can get an equivalent replacement part then you'd also better ask around to find someone locally near you with the right Tools 'n Talents to do it.

However, time constraints lately on mail deliveries etc also might mean you could be better off sourcing another board perhaps.

And ummmm, as an aside here... unless someone accurately swung an axe at it that's not busted - it's actually Blown Up, Sir.

So just be aware that either what was plugged into the board had a stroke and killed it (and hopefully only that device), or the board may actually have had a cardiac infarction and there's deeper/more insidious issues than a single dead device there.

7. OP
    OP
    Andon9

Andon9 New Member

I got one of my own psu cables from my old computer hooked It up and it just went kaboom...

8. OP
    OP
    Andon9

Andon9 New Member

thanks for the advice, I’ve never had any issues with the board. So I plugged an old psu cable in to my power supply which then created some kind of negative voltage I think.
    I turned the pc on and I just saw the pc in that spot of the board just fry.
    All other components are good on the outside visually and my computer could still run and turn on without issue.
    But who knows if anything else has been damaged in that process.
    The feeling of just watching it explode in real time was depressing but it’s my fault I thought I had a light bulb moment as I was a sata cable power short to power a component and then when I did all this I was like oh shit.....

My cousin is really good with soldering and de-soldering as he has worked with motherboards before so it should be all good if we can find this replacement part.

9. OP
    OP
    Andon9

Andon9 New Member

So I’ve purchased the same replacement board off eBay coming from the Us. Apprently the wait is approximately at this stage expecting to be the end of May.
    In the meantime I still want to fix this board.
    I also thought of if I bought the Corsair commander pro and hooked it up to my working fan header It will be a easier alternative than fixing the damage on the board.
    All my fan headers on my board do exactly the same thing and what I gathered when I was troubleshooting with the board was that all my headers for my fans work except for the busted one next to the mosfet that is blown.

10. merlin13

merlin13 Member

So if your cousin is experienced at component level repairs, get him to assist with sourcing the equivalent bit and Give It A Go.

Just thrash the hell out of all the other bits in the system to check for reliability until your replacement board turns up.

11. Recharge

Recharge Member

then the likelihood that this is the only dead component is VERY low.
    you possibly shunted 12v into a 5v rail.
    this is one of the shittiest parts of the PC market, friken PSU manufacturers using the same plugs but different pinouts, hell some manufactures change them on their own bloody products.

Sneakypuss and m3k like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Andon9

Andon9 New Member

I guess my only option is to pray and hope that I have only busted that one component.

13. Recharge

Recharge Member

can but try ~fingers crossed~

14. merlin13

merlin13 Member

That, more likely grounded the rail(s) out hard enough to blow the arse out of what supposed to rated as a 10 amp-rated MOSFET. Associated inner layer power rail tracking would be suspect as well.

If it was a 12-to-5 short, would have assumed (hoped!) the PSU should have shut down long before the FET erupted.

And the OP sez it all stills worked afterwards except for one only fan header, so who knows...

15. GrandmasBoi

GrandmasBoi Member

Can't see that good with full zoom but it looks like both the outer legs could be clipped with the right tool which would make desoldering the last middle leg alot easier

16. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Yup. Assuming you're careful enough not to bork the pads doing it - had to sort out more than a couple of instances a student of Mr Gumby managed to rip the pads up as well...

But by the time you've got enough heat into the board 'n component to melt the solder under the honking great heatsink it's sitting on, with a careful squirt of hot air the solder on those two pads would also be soft enough to lift the part cleanly off.

17. GrandmasBoi

GrandmasBoi Member

Usually what I would do is clip the outer legs, apply heat with iron tip or hot air to middle leg and gently pull the mosfet with tweezers/pliers as soon as the solder melts it will come off. Well pull gently not to rip the pad, guess how much comes down to experience.

The 2 outer leg clippings remaining on the pads can be removed easily 1 by 1 as there is no mosfet acting as a heatsink attached to them

18. OP
    OP
    Andon9

Andon9 New Member

All solved and fixed. We decided to bypass the system's one fan header and not use it. I currently use the corsair commander pro to bypass this issue. System is running strong and no issues with the board.

Sneakypuss likes this.
  19. m3k

m3k Member

id cut the legs off the mosfet and add some uv liquid electrical tape *black*

then id buy a NZXT fan controller and fans and use those instead via molex and satapower and a usb header loletc

cbf risking a SMD soldering job on a mobo ( even if its an easy one) when u can just upgrade your fan game anyway

20. m3k

m3k Member

this is so fucking true.
    ateast change the source pinout with a key or something fuck. cable modding companies would not have to release so-many stupid custom kits there would just be one size fits all and the world would be a better place

like when apple adopted usb c because of laws- there should be laws about this too to stop manufacturers being dumbasses

granted ive never been dumb enough to do this because the first time i noticed it i noticed the wires crossed over to different pins and it pinged a red alarm in my head. but i can imagine SOOOmany new players falling for this one

Last edited: May 16, 2020