I caved... Quad GTX 580 UD with new AC waterblocks.. New 990X and new 1500W PSU

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Phatboy69, Aug 4, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Member

It's been a while since I've posted an update but I have been slowly working on finalising the system. I hope to finish the week and take some new photos with a couple new camera lenses which should work better in natural light. ;)

A couple things I have been working on is getting the best out of nvidia surround. It really doesnt compare to Eyefinity for ease of use and setup for workstation efficiency with a multi monitor setup.. But I have been researching hard and come up with the following that blows Eyefinity functionality out of the water!

I just discovered that you can use Matrox PowerDesk software on Nvidia Surround to setup virtual monitors, it's similar to Hydragrid on Eyefinity setups but seems to work better.
    Finally I can leave my system in surround view 6040x1080 with 4way SLI and use the monitors as 3 individual monitors for applications and maximise/snap to a single monitor!

Also allows to set default open monitor! I've been searching for something like AMD/ATI Hydragrid since I moved from ATI Eyefinity.

I LOVE IT!

For those interested, you just need to setup Nvidia Surround or 3D Surround like normal and then download the appropriate version of PowerDesk.

Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 x86:
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/download/?id=436

Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7 x64:
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/download/?id=437

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have also found a way to get the start menu / task bar in the middle of a surround monitor setup!

Aston2 Windows Shell replacement.
    http://www.astonshell.com/index.html

I just want to add HOW MUCH I LOVE this combo!!! Maximum efficiency and maximum performance without switching between multi-monitor and surround!
    Just leave in surround mode and enjoy 4way SLI in surround with multi-monitor type flexibility!!!!

[​IMG]

The other thing I've done this week is work out how to merge steam installations across multiple HDD & SSD.

After having steam for a few years now and going through copying games too and from the limited 120GB SSD capacity from backup copies on a HDD, I got sick of it and found a new solution that works flawlessly to have steam games on the SSD and also on another HDD! (in my case an external USB3 RAID array)

This program called linkmagic uses NTFS junction points to create something like symbolic links, from a directory in your steam/steamapps/common/"game folder name" to another folder on another drive of your choice! The game folder names must match exactly.. and you have to delete the content from the original steam folder after you've copied it to the new folder/drive. Then you just leave the original steam game folder name and link it to its new home. You end up with what looks like a shortcut arrow on your game folder and your files "appear" to be in there but they're actually just linked!

http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm

Great for migrating other apps too without re-installing!
    This way your most commonly used stuff goes on the SSD, when you don't need it so much just move it to a new drive and link it!

A couple limitations and advice!

Backup your game folder, somewhere else before you try this in case you fuck it up!

Installing a new game still has to have sufficient space in the original steam folder, once installed though, you can copy it across, delete the original content and then link it.

If your re-installing from a previous backup copy it will still work though!
    You can put your backup copy in its new permanent home then create the link, go to steam and install it. Instead of downloading it will just verify the files in the linked directory!

Someone else also pointed me to this shell integration for junction links and symbolic links. Great not to have to move stuff around so much.

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

2. leithals

leithals Member

Nice work, might be giving this a go. Thanks :thumbup:

3. roxydog

roxydog Member

Thanks heaps Phatboy for that excellent info:thumbup:

Just setup surround 2 days ago with 2 X 580's and the separate monitor info is real welcome - also the Steam info will come in handy.

Cheers

4. glennsfield

glennsfield Member

Got new pics yet? :)

5. IMtech

IMtech (Banned or Deleted)

+1! Been longing for an update to that beast! :)

6. OP
    OP
    Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Member

Later this week hopefully! Been busy with Xmas parties and baby stuff so not much time lately.. System still not finished!

7. Mav3r1k

Mav3r1k Member

any updates on this?

8. OP
    OP
    Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Member

9. Mav3r1k

Mav3r1k Member

10. tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

I must have this pic!!! where can I download it from? Pleeeeease tell me! :thumbup:

11. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Brilliant picture....

That's where i was for 1999 to 2000 NYE :)

12. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Here

10char..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  13. tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

that is not it :( no bridge!

14. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Since your inbox is full I suppose posting in here is more suitiable :p.

How bout this then.. Link

I also have these.. [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ]

(Note: I did not take any of these pictures so don't credit me, credit the photographers)

15. OP
    OP
    Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Member

http://1drv.ms/1cnhAVC

16. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

very nice

WRT steam isntallations, you can actually install steam games to different directories now - so in the case where you already have a game installed, just remove it, start the install to a new directory and past the files over :thumbup:

May/Should also be a workaround to jsut mvoe different games to different disks now too