I have a problem when installing my 2nd graphics card

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by velphick, Feb 16, 2021.

1. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

does one card work by itself in the x4 slot?

Crosspeen likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    velphick

velphick Member

I ended up finding the problem. Took me weeks to solve to no end I was looking for the issue. Took it to so many forums, computer place (where I bought the video card from, which they charged me, such kents and didn't even fix anything. Contacted Gigabyte and they assured me it should work, as did Nvidia.

PCPARTSPICKER and Nvidia ended up giving me advise which didn't fix the issue but made me check the bios for other specifics which then made me come across the unrelated problem.

Faulty EVGA Video card. It was only (for some reason) running as reported by the bios at x4 speeds in the x16 slot, thought I'd double check the slot so swapped it out with my Leadtek and the Leadtek has no issue running at the full x16 speed.

Nvidia reported back after I told them this and said the card is 100% faulty (which I guessed myself from the bios report) but is always nice to have an official reply for an RMA.

EVGA Have been okay with an RMA but since there are no 3090's available I was concerned and just asked for a full refund instead which I have to go through PLE (and PLE have been VERY resistance in giving me the money back and I've had to quote several consumer rights from the website to which they still refuse and want to talk to them first hand) so I will not be purchasing anything from PLE in future.

3. OP
    OP
    velphick

velphick Member

Yep it did, both worked fine.

4. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Damn what a fault!

If you want cash you're better off waiting, getting the replacement and selling it.

velphick likes this.
  5. havabeer

havabeer Member

This, almost better off going 100% scab/scalper and cashing in.

velphick likes this.