I have malware but I don't have malware?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by peteed1985, May 10, 2017.

1. peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

Ok so twice in 3 weeks the Commonwealth bank has locked my account because somehow they detected malware on my PC but their program called stinger says I have no malware.

I also have Malwarebytes premium saying no malware. I also used to have Avast which said no malware and I just changed to a trial of Bitdefender since I hear it's king right now and it finds nothing.

How is the bank able to via a browser window find malware that no malware scanner can seem to find? Also the bank said I have alot of things running on my PC so somehow they can see how many programs i'm running from what I can tell.

Might it be a false positive they can detect? If so what type of programs show signs of being malware without being malware?

2. thmrsh

thmrsh Member

Try using UVKportable.
    There's a antivirus section in there.
    Runs and updates all the popular scanners automatically.
    Including rougekiller and adwcleaner. Those 2 seem to always get everything that the rest miss.

3. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

Restart the pc in safe mode with networking. Manually type the address in, and see what it says.

It sounds to me your not on CommBank's page. Or you have something new on it no scanner will find.

4. power

power Member

get a new bank and tell them to stick it up their arse.

If you want to detect what they are detecting Stinger is made by McAfee.

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Is it a phising attempt from a Comm Bank 'lookalike' portal?

How did you get to the 'Commonwealth bank' portal (browser and method)?

How often are you accessing their portal?

Are you accessing the portal via a single client only? That is via a single PC only or from multiple PCs and or devices?

Have you logged into the system in Safe Mode and then undertaken a Malwarebytes scan?

6. OP
    OP
    peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

As I said stinger says I haven't got malware.

I log in at least once or twice a week by typing in the URL myself into google chrome so unless typing in www.commbank.com.au can take me to a different website than that and still show that in the URL bar i'm on their site.

I do also use the commbank app on my phone but they say the malware is being detected on a windows 10 PC using google chrome.

7. power

power Member

you aren't using any plugins like VPN's are you?

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Can the bank tell you what the malware is that they have detected? That way you can actually use a package that tests for that malware, it may not be being picked up by what you're using. Unlikely but possible I guess.

9. OP
    OP
    peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

Na, popup blockers and adblock plus and the great suspender.

Apparently not because that'd actually help >_> according to them telling their trade secrets like that would let me find a way to code malware to fool what they use to scan for it.

They repeatedly assure me a false positive isn't possible so I do have malware but they also assure me that if stinger says I have none then i'm fine and have none.

10. Xenon

Xenon Shīrāzī

I've seen this before from Commonwealth and ANZ bank systems within the past year.

If both instances the systems were infected by a Trojan, which wasn't picked up by McAfee or Norton for a few weeks.

The banks use more sophisticated mechanisms to monitor IP traffic to their systems, so from what I've seen can more accurately pickup newly released Trojan's.

Now, this could just be false positive but going by past experience, I would copy documents off the system, and wipe/reinstall it.

Interestingly, both users I saw with the same bank behavior had recently logged on to and purchased items (one had bought some cheapie 'smart' watch, whilst the other had bought one of the many cheap Android phones) from the Chinese re-sale sites. Can't recall exactly which it was as it was a year or so ago, and I don't generally touch them.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  11. Xenon

Xenon Shīrāzī

They won't give out any such info as it would potentially give away info on the mechanisms they use for the identification.

12. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Try a different browser?

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

This is what they have told you or you work for a bank?

14. cvidler

cvidler Member

And they don't want you to know, because honestly it's a joke.

I wouldn't trust their shit, you've got multiple other scanners telling you nothing is there. their shit is broken.

1. they're a bank, not a anti-malware developer.
    2. you can only do so much from the confines of a browser sandbox - they can't properly scan your system anyway.
    3. tell them to stick to banking and not IT security.

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm not normally one to defend banks (quite frankly, they're a bunch of arseholes), but we're here because banks get blamed for people not taking their own information security seriously, and blaming the banks for it.

You can't blame banks for erring on the side of caution when they're constantly having fingers pointing at them for not doing so. We're in this situation because of our own collective stupidity.

16. al'Thor

al'Thor Member

do you have other security related addons - could be they are blocked from infiltrating you browser by some nefarious means - and won't admit you have to reduce your security to login

not malware, just they can't look in your browser

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Tricky situation because you can't really blame banks for wanting to protect themselves and people's money. Frustrating situation none the less, and if I got really peeved with this I'd certainly considering changing institutions.

18. thmrsh

thmrsh Member

have you scanned your pc with the tools I mentioned before yet?
    best bet is to actually know your PC isn't infected...

19. power

power Member

good thought, perhaps the bank is hitting your browser seeing a roadblock and immediately flagging you.

As mentioned earlier try a different browser.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Only way to truly know is if you do a fresh install.