I like ribs... You should too.

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by CHiMPY, Sep 10, 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

The difference with this though, It doesnt take a restaurant hours to cook theirs.

3. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Thread rrrrrrrrresurrection!

Anyone know a good place to get Pork and Beef Ribs in Sydney (preferrably North Sydney around Chatswood).

Cant seem to find a butcher that sells them at a reasonable price :(

Also i smoked some pork ribs on Sunday and it was my best effort yet!
    about 6 hours in my kettle compact at ~120*C with basting with home made BBQ sauce in the last house every 15 mins. So very very tasty.

Unfortunately i think i cooked them for a bit too long they where very slightly dry, but everything else went swimmingly.
    Next time ill cook them for about 30-40 mins shorter and spray some apple juice on them towards the end.

Good thing i cooked too much tho, means i have some for dinner tonight or tomorrow :D

4. joshpond

joshpond Member

Okay gave ribs ago tonight again, still on the lookout for the perfect recipe and combination of cooking.

Ribs were from Woolies, no gourmet stuff here.

Memphis dry rub as per amazingribs.com

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

Glad wrap and placed in fridge overnight.

Cooked for about 3-3.5 hours all up in a fan forced oven at 125oC.
    For those without webers/smokers, I'm going to try the foil with holes and wood chips next time. Also I'd wrap the ribs in foil first until the end. I didn't for these and they were on the dry side. Forgot to spray with apple juice every 30 min until the end and also didn't put a tray of water in. These things might help for next time.

Tried 3 racks:

[​IMG]

One with just the rub, and two different bbq sauces. Will have to try and make the KC style one next time too. Also from local Woolies.

[​IMG]

I liked the Fountain one better, a bit sweeter and smokier for those with electric ovens only. I think the 333 one had a more onion taste. Plain dry rub one didn't really do it for me.

Josh

5. OP
    OP
    CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

They look pretty good to me...

Good Friday BBQ at my house was ribs.
    Beef and pork.

Beef goes on..
    [​IMG]

Pork goes on..
    [​IMG]

The results...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You will have to forgive the crappy cell phone pics, too much good food to waste time finding the camera.

6. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Sweet merciful jesus that looks amazing!

What was your technique?

7. OP
    OP
    CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

Light BBQ, bring to temp using your preferred method. I used the snake method with about 2.5x the lit coals that I would normally use due to the size of the water pan in this thing significantly reducing temps at the top of the bbq.

Apply preferred rub to meat.

Load up BBQ with meat and let cook until desired internal temp is reached.

Apply sauce and grill if desired or eat without sauce (beef were served sans sauce)

8. mmBax

mmBax Member

Jizzed in my dacks. That looks awesome.

I bought some Hickory the other week to try smoking in a conventional gas bbq. Beef ribs will be copping it soon enough.

What's your rub?

9. OP
    OP
    CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

10. Gunna

Gunna Member

My recipe:

I'll post pics next time I do them. We managed to find a butcher that does the full length ribs not the small 3 inch USA spare ribs but the large ribs.

Rub, this makes bucket loads:

1 cup brown sugar, dark
    1/2 cup paprika
    2 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon white pepper
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder

Preparation:
    Combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place.

Rub over the ribs and allow to sit for an hour

Fire the weber/smoker up, I personally like the smoker with the snake method for the coals. I make 2 packets of wood chips, have one at the start of the snake and the 2nd further down and the smoke comes within the 1st 30 mins and also in the 3rd hour. Temp should be at 110 - 125 for 4 or so hours. Digital thermometer helps here. Also in the smoker is a water pan that I keep topped up, helps with temp control and keeps the meat moist.

Sauce:

2 cups ketchup
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne(optional as the rub is spicy)
    I also sometimes add a teaspoon of smokey paprika
    small squirt of BBQ Sauce

I usually 1/2 this sauce recipe and it makes enough to baste 2 racks the last 30 minutes of cooking and leaves enough for the fiancee and I to use.

I cannot eat ribs anywhere else now and when I even mention trying a new recipe my fiancee promptly tells me where to go with that idea.

11. mmBax

mmBax Member

Thanks guys, I attempted smoking in the gas bbq for the first time on Sunday. Had made the rubs mentioned above and I put everything on at around 1 oclock in the afternoon. I had some trouble with the chips smoking decently. They didn't seem to put out that much, so I'm going to look at an actual smoking box I can use.

Aside from all that, the pork ribs came out absolutely fantastic. The beef still needed some additional cooking time, so I ended up dropping them into the oven wrapped in foil, drowned in a basic bbq sauce/mustard/soy mix. And after an additional 3 hours at 100 or so degrees they were ridiculously tender.

On a slightly unrelated note, I had beef ribs the night before at a restaurant, and it was braised in a chipotle sauce. Damn if I find a recipe for that, I'm sold. Smoky, mildly spicy, rich and ribs that just flaked apart.

12. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2011/03/how-to-smoke-on-gas-grill.html

Has some good suggestions for DIY smokers and really I don't see buying a box for it to be of any benefit other than you don't need to make a pouch from alfoil or get a coffee can and an old pot.

13. mmBax

mmBax Member

Thanks, that tin can with a few holes in it looks pretty good.

I soaked my chips overnight as I went away for the weekend. But my alfoil pouch basically disintegrated with the heat of the burner, once the heat had gotten into it, I think the chips just caught on fire and disappeared rather quickly. I did get a really faint smoke ring, but given the amount of hickory I'd put in - I expected a thicker plume of smoke I guess.

I'll keep a tin can and give it another go next weekend.

14. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Made these again on the weekend but used the 2-2-1 method rather than the method on the one of Amazing Ribs.

Worked amazingly. Best ribs ive ever made. So moist and delicious.....:shock:

15. ravencs

ravencs Member

Just plopped some marinated ribs in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.
    Using a legendary recipe that comes from a place far far away.
    (tastiest sauce i have ever had)

1 cup canadian maple syrup
    3 tbsp orange juice
    3 tbsp tomato sauce
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp dijon
    1 garlic clove crushed

Bring to boil
    Marinate

Bake 350'F, covered foil, 1 1/4 hours.
    Remove foil, bake further 35 minutes

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  16. Yammingtons

Yammingtons Member

Giving your original recipe a go today :thumbup:

17. ZXR

ZXR Member

I cooked this and the Sticky Cola Chicken Wings from RETARD for Christmas lunch today and both were a total win! I'd just like to say thanks for the recipe and would recommend this to any of the guys or gals who aren't so good at cooking to give it a go. Simple, as with the chicken, and hard to get wrong!

-ZXR

18. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Resurrecting this delicious thread

made some ribs last week, but i decided to give pressure cooking my ribs instead of the 6+hours of smoking.

Turned out BEAUTIFULLY!

Was 95% as good as slow cooking them, but took me under 1 hour end to end (including making sides).

I finished them off in the oven on high with BBQ sauce to get that nice hot, sticky outside, but the inside was juicy and delicious.

Oh man i think im gonna make em again this weekend!
    Ribs are now a possibility for a weekday dinner! :thumbup:

19. leck

leck Member

Interesting, how long in the pressure cooker out of curiosity. Might give them a go !

20. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

I have a breville fast slow cooker, so its an electric unit not stove top.

So when i turn it on, the timer starts when it gets to pressure.
    However this is what i did

1. Place uncooked ribs in pressure cooker.
    2. fill with water until just covering the ribs
    3. For every 2 cups of water add 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
    4. Add spices (i just added all the spices i would have used for the rub plus some BBQ sauce for good measure)
    5. Set my timer for 4 minutes (so it would cook, at pressure, for 4 minutes). Took a total of around 15 minutes end to end, including natural pressure release.
    6. Placed them in a ceramic pan and coated with BBQ sauce.
    7. Put in oven at ~200*C for about 4-5 minutes or until the BBQ sauce has become sticky and delicious.

Take out and eat.

Alot of the above can be changed (ingredients) but be careful not to overcook the ribs in the pressure cooker. I have done that a few times and they are still nice, but are a little rubbery and dry.

I used this site as the basis for my method
    http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cook-meat-before-grilling-bbq/