I like ribs... You should too.

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by CHiMPY, Sep 10, 2010.

1. leck

leck Member

thanks for that, i'll grab some ribs next time at costco and give it a whirl!

2. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Made some Beef Ribs last night in my electric pressure cooker.

Was sceptical about how well they would turn out, but holy fucking shit they where amazing.

I salted them 24 hours before hand and stuck them in the fridge.
    Rubbed them in a beef rub and put 1 bottle of beer and some water in the pressure cooker. Set it for 60 minutes and took em out.

Not only where they falling apart, but the taste was superb.
    Next time i will put them under the grill quickly to crisp them up.

Highly recommended if you dont have the ~3-4 hours to slow cook them. :thumbup:

3. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

question to people that bought their ribs from costco.. there's a thin white "skin" on the underside of the ribs, are you meant to cut that off or leave it??

4. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Pork ribs? Yes, its the membrane that divides the ribs from the internals of the animal. Get a knife, or the edge of a spoon under it and pull it away with your fingers. If its a good piece of meat and you are lucky it should come off in one or two pieces.

As for Beef ribs, dont bother. Most of the meat is on the top side and doing that wont get you much in the way of spice penetration.

5. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

I personally leave the membrane on. It doesn't bother me eating it at all. on the weber it does go quite dry, but in the oven it's the only thing that holds the ribs togehter :lol:

6. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Beef Ribs in Memphis Dust

hey all,

Have some beef ribs I going to smoke for Aus Day - marinated in memphis dust and marinating in the fridge now.

Going to try the 3-2-1 method on the weber with some apple wood chips.

Also a boned and rolled leg of lamb, mustard and rosemary for the weber Q.

Will post some cooked pics in the following days.

mM

[​IMG]

7. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Looks great!

GL with the cookin :thumbup:

8. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

So its absolutely pissing down rain here at home, has been pretty much most of the night as I was on night shift at work!!!

So in true Aus Day style, a bit of backyard ingenuity was required to get the cook under way, I introduce the "2-Bin Gazebo" - 2 wheelie bins and a bit of perspex. Might call the local football club and see if I can borrow one of the pop up tents for the day!!!

[​IMG]

Anyways, the cook started about 45min late, but its going at a steady 120°, time for a snooze, then wrap, then snooze, the unwrap and beer o'clock.

The food probes are just for show, still sticking to the 3-2-1 method.

[​IMG]

mM

9. mmBax

mmBax Member

3-2-1 is my desired cooking method for ribs now. They turn out exactly how I like them.

I like your 2 bin gazebo, when is bunnings going to start selling them?

10. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Just submitted the patent now, so by Friday bunnings should have stock!!!

Turned out great, way better than expected for a first time cook. My mates thought I used a "sauce" to marinade them, took a bit of convincing that I only used a dry rub and light splash of olive oil. Definitely going to stock up on these next time at the wholesaler, they were $8.99kg.

Here they are after the first 3hrs before wrapping

[​IMG]

After being wrapped and rested for ~1hr - the big knife cut was there when I took them out of the cryovac.

[​IMG]

and finally sliced up

[​IMG]

mM

11. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Looks amazing!

I need to find a place that sells good ribs for a decent price :(

12. pugsley

pugsley Member

That really is the hardest part about American style bbq in Aus.

13. scon

scon Member

Yeah. BBQ stuff is ridiculously cheap here in the US. I get ribs here, precut, memphis style for $2.99USD/lb, and that's just at the local Safeway - you can get them a fair bit cheaper if you shop around. Puts a full rack at about $10USD.

14. svendenhowser

svendenhowser Member

Made some rib the other day in our new kamado, were absolutely fantastic! Made the memphis rub (kept overnight in the fridge) and the maple syrup sauce (by ravencs) as I have a worrying addiction to this sweet, sweet tree nectar! *drool*.

I did the 3-2-1 method and basted the ribs every 10-15mins with the sauce for the last hour. I was surprised I managed to keep the kamado at 225F for most of the cook being our first time using it low and slow. Used lump charcoal and some red gum chips, but next time I want to get some hickory or apple chunks (don't know where I'll find this though..).

Going to tackle some pulled pork for our housewarming next week, now just need to find an appropriate piece of meat - so much conflicting information on what constitutes a boston butt in Australia! I'll probably just go with the shoulder bone in..

Obligatory piccies!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Om nom.. so juicy and nomable!!

Click to view full size!

15. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

ooh i might have to try maple baste soon.

I do my ribs using an approximate version of a rub like this I tone down a bit of the heat ingredients because 1:1 that rub is hot AF, and add a little extra brown sugar.

and I like to baste my rib toward the end cook with sweet baby rays if i can get it (its generally hard to get where i live) otherwise i settle for eta bbq sauce.

[​IMG]

id love to find a source for hickory chips, ive looked around and had a hard time finding them

wings (dry coated) will also turn out incredibly nice on your new bbq sven :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  16. OP
    OP
    CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

Just buy a shoulder.
    It is not necessarily the exact same "cut" as they sell in the US as a butt, but all they do is cut up a shoulder slightly differently.

Go for a boned forequarter joint if you can't get a whole shoulder.

17. mmBax

mmBax Member

+1 Plain shoulder. Make sure you get bone in though.

Butchers are very accommodating when you ask for a piece of shoulder. I think they must just cut them up into chops? So if you ask for a certain sized piece they'll cut it up. I try and stick to around 4kg.

18. scon

scon Member

I've had success asking for a square cut, bone in shoulder.

19. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

"Shoulder Bone In" is what a boston butt translates too.

My local butchers do not have a shoulder bone in ready to buy, as they "bone and roll" the shoulders for sale, sold as "rolled shoulder". Tell them you need one for the weekend and they will keep one aside for you.

Just take the skin off leaving as much "fat cap" as possible.

cheers

mM

20. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Waiting for someone to make a thread about rumps so the thread title can be called "I like ass... You should too"

LOL