I like ribs... You should too.

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by CHiMPY, Sep 10, 2010.

1. scon

scon Member

Wife made me some ribs for my birthday. She's going to become a BBQ pitmaster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty good for her first batch that she has made entirely on her own.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  2. MB403

MB403 Member

Looks EPIC!

3. mmBax

mmBax Member

That does look great, even the salad looks delicious.

Looks like I'm firing up the smoker this weekend then.

4. MB403

MB403 Member

Great idea actually!

5. Kosti

Kosti Member

Can't wait for my bday - I'm asking for ribs!

I love watching pitmasters and I never new they injected :shock:

6. scon

scon Member

FYI, the salad was a slaw made of sliced apple, radishes and brussels sprouts, coriander, mayo and lemon juice.

7. connection

connection Member

I'm a complete noob at cooking, are you able to list the proportions etc?

8. scon

scon Member

Sure:

• Some slice apple.
    • Some radishes
    • Some brussels sprouts
    • Some coriander

Mix together some mayo and some lemon juice and mix that through the slaw :D

Sorry dude... that's about the best I can do. There's no real proportions. Maybe 1/2 apple, 2 radishes, 4 sprouts and a couple sprigs coriander per person.

9. trop

trop Member

Ribs for dinner tonight.

[​IMG]

4hrs in the smoker @ 105' using a mix of red wine oak barrel chips and fresh apple tree cuttings for the smoke.

[​IMG]

Ribs were brined overnight then dry rubbed. Every 30-40 mins they were squirted with a mix of jack daniels, coke and apple cider vinegar then I brushed on a 50:50 mix of my smoked chili sauce and sweet baby rays bbq sauce at the 3hr mark.
    The corn was cooked for the full 4 hrs too and just had butter and pepper on it.

10. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Didn't realise this thread existed until now.. :Paranoid:

So after reading through everything (including some of the external links) I'm giving ribs a shot this weekend.

Picked up everything I need (hopefully) - Pork ribs from Costco, and the ingredients to make Kansas City Classic BBQ sauce and Memphis Dust Rub. Plan is to use the Kettle Webber to cook them CHiMPY style (first post). Gotta start somewhere :p

Going to be using heat beads, but I'm not sure whether its worth getting some wood chips for the first attempt or start simple.

11. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

wood chips for sure :thumbup:

let us know how you go

12. Gunna

Gunna Member

BBQ galore sell the wood chunks too, just pop them on top of your coals and away you go. If you use the snake method for the coals just place one or 2 along the snake.

The snake method I can get to hold a constant 120 degree's C for many many hours

13. QuakeDude

Just reading up on the snake method now - I'm cooking about 3kg of ribs, any recommendations on how long they should cook for?

Also I'll be using heat beads, so am I going to get thew taste of them through the food, given you're not supposed to use them unless they're ashed over?

14. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

try the 3-2-1 method for ribs - http://barbecuebible.com/2015/01/20/3-2-1-method-ribs/

and as long as you don't get the "easy light" heat beads, you'll be fine

15. QuakeDude

Okay, well, I was completely blown out of the water - I had NO idea it was THIS easy to cook ribs that turned out absolutely fantastic, and this was the first attempt at it!

Firstly, I coated the 3kg of Costco Pork ribs in Memphis Dust rub the night before cooking them:

[​IMG]

I decided to try a straight forward approach to cooking them - was considering trying out the 3-2-1 method but I needed a baseline, otherwise it's hard to appreciate the improvements if I change anything up. Decided to go with the simple Snake Method approach. A quick google on how to do it gave me enough to go on. Mine ended up looking like this:

[​IMG]

I made sure to light the first 8 heat beads (2x2x2) and ash them over so the process had a solid start:

[​IMG]

After putting a tray in with some water in it, I put the meat on and walked away for four and a half hours. The meat had cooked perfectly at this point, with the outside it it still being fairly soft:

[​IMG]

At this point I cranked up the Webber Q on medium (outer ring only) and basted the ribs with the Kansas City BBQ Sauce for the next half hour. That stuff is amazing, by the way. Fantastic recipe. The WebberQ gave me time to prepare the extra dipping bowls for the kids:

[​IMG]

And finally, 5 hours after starting to cook these bad boys, they were done:

[​IMG]

Meat was amazingly tender, and the flavour was amazing. Props to Costco for the quality of the ribs, too - there was plenty of meat on them, and hardly any fat.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  16. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Mate they look amazing.

Might have to dig out my webber and give it a go over xmas :thumbup:

17. QuakeDude

I've only ever used the (Kettle) Webber for roasts - had that sucker now for 22 years! But this has brought new life to the old girl. Its going to be getting a workout alot more often ;)

18. Foolio

Foolio Member

Looks fantastic :thumbup:. Whats goes into the Memphis rub? Also how much were the ribs at Costco and do they have beef ribs and brisket as well?

19. QuakeDude

I (think) I found the Memphis Rub recipe on here, or on a site linked from here.. I can't remember. Either way here it is:

• 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    • 3/4 cup white sugar
    • 1/2 cup paprika
    • 1/4 cup garlic powder
    • 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    • 2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
    • 2 tablespoons onion powder
    • 2 teaspoons rosemary powder

I can't remember the price of the ribs, sorry - will check next time I go back. Hopefully they have beef ribs, the kids wanted to try the beef ones next so I need to go and check out what they've got. Will report back on the brisket as well when I go :thumbup:

20. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

Pork ribs from memory are around $35-40 a pack, yeah they have beef short ribs too again from memory around $40-50 ( you do get 2 slabs of 3 ribs) brisket is a hit and miss some times they have them some times they don't. well that is for my local (Moorabbin).