[PROJECT] I make knives.

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by killedbycrimson, Dec 31, 2018.

1. killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member

As the title states, I make knives.
    I got into knife making almost two years ago and after giving a beginner kit a go, I was hooked.
    I managed to score a mentorship with a well known south australian knife maker who helped propel me to where I am now.
    Here are a few of my knives.
    I like making kitchen knives but throw in the odd hunter every now and then.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2019
  2. OP
    OP
    killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member

[​IMG] So I made a new one. Well a few new ones, but this one is kinda cool.

So it's an 8 inch Gyuto, in 1084 and nickel clad over 1095. My first go at San mai, turned out pretty ok. Made the san mai while I was being mentored out of Seppeltsfield in the Barossa with a knife maker there.
    If you look at the above post you will see what it looked like (image bump 1). Since then the profile has slightly changed and I had to thin it down a lot. At 4.2mm its was pretty crappy. You can see the progress from the first start grind all the way through.
    I spent about 30 hours sanding, the 1095 got really hard and just took forever to sand out all the grinder marks, but as I got up the grits (only to 800) you could see the lines starting to show. I think that photo was taken at 240g.

Tell me what you think and if that link worked, I might actually add more.
    *That link did not work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    cmi83 likes this.
  3. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Ohhhh mannn post some more!!! Do you ever consider selling these ???

cmi83 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member

I do. This one has not yet been adopted. I do a lot of commissions and enjoy the change of creativity when I get to do what I want.

5. OP
    OP
    killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member

So, new knife this time with a bit better progression.
    So I have been asked to do a couple of prizes for a local BBQ comp (well local stop in a national circuit), so I am doing two blades. This was starting off as an 8 inch slicer, but redesign has seen it loose a little off the tip.
    So the first image was showing too much sweep up to the tip. Some liked it, most did not. I forgot all about the "banana effect" when I hammer textured the Vtoku cold and ground the spine flat instead of hammering down straight again.
    The second two are how I looked to fix it without taking too much off the tip and making it too short.

The last two, well, second last shows the perfect bevel in the making! Just a little, tiny, intsy bit more annnnnnnnnnd whoops, too much.
    Last is where I left it. Its now a full grind which isnt the worst thing in the world. Just means no forge scale flats and its now all silver. Plunge line is coming along nicely and will be sorted out with a higher grit.
    Im still working out the handle, I have a lot of nice timbers but nothing is screaming out "prize worthy".

6. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

Nice work sir.

Baz.

7. OP
    OP
    killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member

Thank you Baz.

8. OP
    OP
    killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member

I have kinda forgotten to post follow up images of my BBQ slicer. Here is how it turned out.

Attached Files:

9. Jim-podiatrist

Jim-podiatrist Member

Dude.....
    Amazing work.

I'm in SA, would you consider making a knife for me?

killedbycrimson likes this.