I need better fans quick

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by aussie-revhead, Dec 15, 2017.

1. BigDave

BigDave Member

Aussie are the fans mounted to the rad? Is there a gap between ?

2. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

No gap, long screws through the front of the case, through fans and into rad.

:)

BigDave likes this.
  3. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

No offense but that looks like a shocker of a case to be mounting a 280mm front intake rad with that solid front panel:
    http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-nano-s-window

I would be seriously consider getting a better case with just a mesh filtered intake front panel especially as your considering buying 2 x Noc fans ~$35 each, I wouldn't be surprised if they made little difference as the solid panel significantly impedes inflow potential. A case could cost around $85 and signifcantly change the inflow potential. An example is a Coolermaster masterbox as a worthy consideration (I am a bit biased as I have one and did a build in one for a mate);
    http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/masterbox-5-black/

I would not be surprised if the case swap out would give far better results (cooling) than a fan swap over........my 2c.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Nothing wrong with the case. Its one of, if not the best, ITX cases on the market if you want a custom loop to fit. Behind the solid front panel is 30mm of empty space, filtered between that and the main body. Intakes are on the side. You would only have restricted intake if you were to install fans within the front panel, in front of the filter.
    I've run a 7700K @ 5.45GHz and a 1080 @ 2015MHz on a front mounted 280 in one of those cases, without hitting 60° in any part of the loop or case, without even bothering to remove the top panel.

There is a deeper issue here.

5. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

The solution used could be an issue? If the whole system is reflecting heat thus what was the liquid used and it's capacity for heat dissipation? Possibly the solution heat's retention or potential for dissipation is impaired.

This could be readily assessed if you have a temp probe.

Put a little of the solution into a saucepan and heat till boiling and then turn off and sample the temp at 5min intervals for 30mins. Do the same with tap water - is there any difference?

6. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    KISS principle.

Poor fans equals poor radiator performance. Backward engineering the coolant isnt necessary :) . The only real need he has is static pressure. Get the Noctuas or some Varders and relax.

7. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

It's all good boys, I will try to improve airflow first then report back.

I agree on the case due to the closed front but I like the size and dimensions. It was about the smallest case overall that fits a full size radiator inside. Maybe I can mod it to a mesh front ......

@ ratzz - iirc you had noisey fans too, I really don't want noisey fans so I will look for a compromise

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Actually my fans were virtually inaudible until they reached about 80% mate. TBH, it was probably the quietest rig I've ever had. Visitors who've come around to get delids done etc have actually commented on the low noise levels. The case itself probably doesn't hurt in this situation, with its insulated panels. I wouldn't call Noctua Redux especially noisy either.

9. juzz86

juzz86 Member

What's the radiator model Aussie?

Low SP fans + low fan speed + high FPI rads = bad time

10. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    Its an XT45 280 from what hes said earlier. Not high FPI but thick enough to kill any pressure those Fractals would need to push to work effectively.

I have a Nano in a Nano. The front panel isnt restrictive by a long shot. The filter that clips infront of the radiator is very restrictive. I removed it and lowered temps a little at same fan speed and little less noise.

Im using the shitty Corsair SP120 Performance fans and think they dont have enough pressure to run silently, or enough pressure flatout at full noise either. I only run a PE240mm and a SE120 and cool a 1600X @1.4v and the Nano @1100 +50% and my rads and exhaust air get warm. It is seasonally hot here in Brisbane also.

For Xmas I will be shouting myself a set of Noctuas.

I love these little Nanos, can fit so much in for their size.

[​IMG]

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

They sure can.
    7700K with a 1080 Waterforce and 280 rad. Mine isn't quite so neat, due to the long GPU. Thats the reason there are only 3 fans, the GPU did not fit with the other bottom fan fitted,

Note that all the fans and rad are within the case. The entire front panel is hollow, intake happens via the side slots. You can fit fans inside the shroud, but you would need to remove the filter, and you would destroy intake flow.

The rear fan is a 120mm Fractal case fan, the ram fan is a Noctua 80mm 1800rpm Redux, and the other 3 140mm fans are 1500rpm Redux. They are all PWM, rarely used to exceed 1000rpm.

[​IMG]

Nothing wrong with the cooling either. This chip is delidded, but nevertheless.. this bench comes from the above rig, just as you see it. From memory, the top and side covers were installed at the time, I can think of no other differences.

[​IMG]

12. Seeker

Seeker Member

Don't bother if the front fans are inside the case. Very little gains to be had.
    I mounted mine on the outside (like this) and the front panel restricts about 85% of airflow I would say. Incredibly restrictive. I'm getting the front laser cut to fix that.

[​IMG]

I have used those Fractal fans on radiators in the past - they have terrible static pressure, you will fix this by switching them out. Why not consider fans with PWM control if you have the choice? I went with two ML140's for the front on my build, and 3 ML120's on the top/rear (above pic is old). Noise wouldn't be a factor then as you can choose your own noise/performance levels.

Even with the front bezel on my case, my temps dont exceed 60c CPU/GPU with a PWM curve of 1% per 1 degree (1080ti/8600k @ 4.8)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    BigDave likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Mines pretty close to Ratzz's but with an extra rad:

[​IMG]
    upload photo to internet

It looked tidier with black fans but the Noctuas work ... it was priming today with noctuas in and front on, max temp was 51c. Max while gaming was mid 40s and max after 3Dmark runs was low 60's.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  14. havabeer

havabeer Member

Amazing what some good fans wil do

15. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

They are alot noisier even with the LNA fitted but I guess I have to pay for the airflow somehow. I don't want to slow them too much so it's a trade off.

16. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Oddly my son is still getting game crashes with the case front on, take the front off and it doesn't crash ...

:(

17. juzz86

juzz86 Member

VRMs?

18. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I haven't monitored them, I might poke a fan over the CPU block area and see what happens.

19. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Worth a shot mate, something's obviously starving a bit somewhere, decent starting point :thumbup:

20. Seeker

Seeker Member

edit: nvm

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018