I need some help please

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Red Dwarf, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf Member

I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some assistance with getting my puter back up and running. I switch my motherboard to a P3V4X. Problem I am having is getting my video card to work properly. Currently am trying to get a Rage Fury Maxx to work right. I keep getting an adapter error message when I install the drivers. Setup is as follows

P3V4X(Bios 1006.002Beta)
    Via 4 in 1 (Ver 4.32)
    (4) 256MB Micron cas2 133
    Rage Fury Maxx (4.12.7942 drivers)
    Win98se

I'm working in steps here
    so once I get the video part to work I will install the rest of the components and see how it goes from there.
    Tried setting the AGP all the way down to 1 with no difference
    I really don't want to be stuck with 600 by 400 pixels
    Any suggestions would be great

2. tculp

tculp Member

Don' t know if this will fix the vid-card issue, but you might want to hold off on putting a couple of sticks of that ram in until you have the system running.

Win'98 has an issue w/large amounts of ram, check out the following link:
    "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed

I had to make a "service-call" tonite to the pop-in-law's house 'cause he installed a Gig of ram on his P3V4X, and all kinds of screwy stuff started happening.

Good luck!

3. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Spot on there tculp! This board will not work in 95% of cases the via chipset does not support 4 double sided ram sticks At 133fsb only 6 sides are supported. Windows also has issues with >512mb that is 98 and ME. set it at 512 mb and see how things go.

Once u are up check the irq listing to see if anything sharing irqs Keep slot 1 free.
    Tony
    Ps if u get it to work go buy a lotto ticket it will win for sure.