I need to learn a bit more about graphic design

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by kthnx, Oct 29, 2010.

1. kthnx

kthnx Member

Hey guys,

I do a lot of web dev stuff with PHP, SQL, Javascript etc. When I want to know about a new language, I pick up the appropriate O'Reilly book and give it a read = voila, knowledge.

People (particularly relatives) who don't get the distinction between online application programming and web design often ask me to help set up a website, and I find myself having to do graphics design - which I don't know a whole lot about, as evidenced by my website. Anyway, it would be useful for these small projects - and for communicating with the designers I occasionally work with - if I knew a bit more about graphics design - what looks good where and why.

Is there such a thing as an O'Reilly equivalent for graphics design that talks about whitespace, complimentary colours and stuff like that so I can learn a bit of theory about the subject?

Thanks for any advice :)

-Sam

2. romanx

romanx Member

Firstly, don't use a search engine.

Secondly, go find some books on the subject at the library/newsagent and read. To me, graphic design is more than photoshop on a pc, it's about contrasts, textures etc.

Pick up some business cards, feel what they are like. Some a flimsy paper like from Vista Print, some are thick and waxy meaning they cost more money.

3. Hung-Two

Hung-Two Member

What are your existing webdesign resources? My god there are so, so many.

I will give you just ONE article from ONE webdesign blog to whet your appetite, otherwise I'll be here for 8 hours and give you 3000, lol
    http://sixrevisions.com/web_design/negative-space-in-webpage-layouts-a-guide/

Ok, I just looked at your website, and I think you might want one more.
    http://www.uxbooth.com/blog/complete-beginners-guide-to-information-architecture/

Ok leaving before I vomit my bookmark collection, haha!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  4. Talleh

Talleh Member

100% agreed.

Once you've sniffed fresh off the press print work you'll never go back <3

5. romanx

romanx Member

Ah, I remember those visits to the printing presses. Quite and awesome display to watch them printing a newspaper too.

6. Talleh

Talleh Member

Newspaper is amazing to watch, but watching your own stuff getting done is an amazing feeling, never gets old even after 20+ times :)

I'll never forget my first press job, I was freaking out about it not turning out :lol:

7. romanx

romanx Member

Wait till you make your first mistake, I made a few.

We let an advert get to print for a Church where "understands" was mistyped as "undersatans". Irony!

8. reags

reags Member

lol that's a major mistype :lol:

9. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Freudean slip perhaps hehehehehehe.

10. romanx

romanx Member

My boss had some better ones with pictures.

Front page, giant photo of the best player from the local footy finals running with the ball, someone didn't realise his knob was hanging out his shorts :lol:

Also a typo on the front page "laedership" instead of "leadership", and she told me not to stuff up my job :D

11. Talleh

Talleh Member

Oh wow, that's hilarious.

We have had one major typo in a super important award criteria job. The worst part was, it was a title and one of the most prominent things in the job. My seniors and boss nearly died considering it was proof read so many times. Thank goodness it wasn't my job :lol:

That went back to print asap once the artwork was fixed :l

12. romanx

romanx Member

Looks like we've scared off the op with the mishaps.