1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

I need to make a map of my community garden

Discussion in 'General Software' started by mibberz, Mar 2, 2020.

1. mibberz

mibberz Member

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction, I want to make something similar to this, any idea how i go about it, should i just guestimate it all? or use GPS locations in something?
    [​IMG]

2. connico

connico Member

Drone and take a picture... then convert said picture...

Otherwise pay for aerial pictures. There are several sites that will offer you something affordable if you need something recent.

3. OP
    OP
    mibberz

mibberz Member

and where are these several sites?

4. connico

connico Member

You're looking for sparital services, these services fly a drone or plane over the country and offer them for sale. These images are much more recent and are higher resolution we use them for survey work

https://www.spatial.nsw.gov.au/

5. shredder

shredder Member

I'm a former mapping professional and land surveyor. If it was NZ I could whip you up something to start from fairly quickly for free, with the public data available. However it is not, so I'd have to do some scratching around to see what's available in Aus (do you happen to know connico ? - Australia's free GIS data?? - OSM and Google stuff is all easy of course)

Is it for Kalgoorlie?

Will you be making it into a billboard similar to what you've shown?

Your options are 1) time and effort to learn and do it yourself using available tools and data, or 2) pay professionals to do it for you, which would probably be $500 - $2000 for a finished digital product, depending on needs.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  6. OP
    OP
    mibberz

mibberz Member

hey shredder, it is for kalgoorlie, i just dont know how to change that to a nice map, can you use gps data into a program like photoshop

7. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Isn't it just getting the overview from Google maps satelite view and tracing what you see into something like Adobe illustrator to get the pretty colours and shapes?

Sounds like you need a graphic designer to me.

8. shredder

shredder Member

It can be difficult to create quality maps in Photoshop. It does not have the required features for mapping. To line things up, etc. And other technical reasons I can't be arsed explaining - raster vs vector etc.

The best and most common software to create maps is called geographic information systems (GIS) software.

QGIS is a popular open source one, which you can download and use for free.

If you can get relevant data into such software, as layers, then you can start to construct your map.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  9. shredder

shredder Member

This is an easy option too. Depends a lot on the detail and requirements. e.g. you can only trace what the photo shows.

10. PunX0r

PunX0r Member

Hi, I'd be happy to illustrate something like this for you based on google maps images. Shoot me a PM if you would like to discuss in more detail.