I refuse to eat fast food.

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tooms, Jul 4, 2010.

1. tooms

tooms Member

Is this normal?

In my younger youth (18-22) I lived on it, but these days I find it revolting.

I don't mind a good chinese dish take out, or indian or something similar .. but I'm absolutely over mcdonalds, HJ's, domino's, subway etc.

Apart from the fact it tastes like crap, I just dont have any faith in some 16 year old pimp preparing my food.

Is it just me, or do other people exist with taste buds?

2. JohnnoD

JohnnoD Member

Wow, someone that prefers to eat decent food over McDonalds/HJs/other bad food. Shock! :p

3. IKT

IKT Member

[​IMG]

it tastes like crap but it gets the job done some of the time.

4. OP
    OP
    tooms

tooms Member

I just ask because these days when out with friends (the geek ones) they all turn there nose up at me when they say lets get food, and I say I'm going home to cook something because I'm not that keen on having fast food takeaway.

5. -=ButFli=-

-=ButFli=- Member

If Mickey D's had a vege burger or something I would be all over that shit.

6. TheChemist

TheChemist R.I.P

I don't particularly like fast food. If I finish work at a reasonable hour (earlier than say 9pm), I'll go home and cook or whatever, but if I finish at 11pm or midnight or something, I'll be starving and CBF sitting on a train for an hour and then cooking and then eating... it's easier just to grab a big mac before jumping on a train at that hour.

And after a night of drinking, KFC Wicked Wings are just OM NOM NOM

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  7. taffer

taffer Member

your not alone, I got tired of McDonald's jacking their prices up (remember the days of $5 large big mac meal)
    Now I prefer to go to slightly more expensive places but have a nicer meal. Or just eat at home so I can have exactly what I want.
    Although sometimes I'm so hungry I'll eat anything, or whatever is closest :D
    good kebab > McDonald's

8. Copie

Copie Member

Fast food = fast food

If you want get food quickly and easily then its good, some people dont have time to cook food/wait for a good meal.

9. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

True, but good home cooked food is almost as easy.

I use my pressure and slow cookers (these, together with the rice cooker are the gadets used most in my house) to cook up large meals which can be frozen to use as my fast food :thumbup:

10. JohnnoD

JohnnoD Member

Agreed. I love making big amounts of soup, pasta bake, lasagne, etc and then freezing it and keeping it for later in the week :D

11. Copie

Copie Member

True.

However a few comments, im on the road for a living, so i do not have the facilities to pull up, and nuke food to eat, also food i can eat while driving is a giant plus. Most foods i can eat while driving (except for soups/food with high liquid content) but it is difficult at times.

Also i dont like leaving slow cookers etc unattended at home running.

I dont eat fast food much (maybe once or twice a week if im lucky) but alot of drivers at work live on it.

Also because of the hours i need to eat during 'normal sort of hours' so i cant really be cooking when i get home at 3am.

12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

cooking = fun!

13. money_killer

money_killer Member

i eat fast food rarely the stuff makes me sick sometimes and just makes me feel bad lol

14. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Given that it is "normal" for Aussies to eat fast food ... you're not normal. But don't feel bad about it, more of us should be eating like you. Well done :thumbup:

15. Gierke

Gierke Member

Htfu and go eat some maccas.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Good for you OP. But I love my FF every now and again.

17. SingAlong

SingAlong (Banned or Deleted)

Maccas employees are not cooks/kitchen hands anymore... they're pimps! :lol:

18. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Fast food has taken on a new meaning since living in Melbourne. Quality food with amazing taste and for one person you can get in and out of there in 20 mins :)

19. nakey

nakey Member

that's not fast food though. that's old, reheated food that you've previously prepaired, which means you've taken time to cook it when you could have done something else. Delicious as it may be

The benefit of fast food is exactly that. Fast. minimal waiting (less so at incompetent places like HJs), no preparing. Decide, get, eat, over and done with in less time it takes to cook frozen sausage rolls in the Microwave + Oven (unless you like your Sausage rolls microwave soggy >.>) Even something like China Bar and all the cheep dodgy Asian places is still slower than Maccas/KFC/HJs/Subway.

If i had 20 minutes, i'd totally skip them and go to the asian restaurant. but there's plenty of times i don't, and eating whilst moving (i do a lit) is impractical.

i don't think OP is not normal, but i eat fast food BECAUSE it's fast food, but because it's good food. something to fill the stomach before an event or so. Fast food is about the time. Good food is about the experience, as good food is remembered after the waiting has been forgotten.

20. JackScottAU

JackScottAU Member

I don't eat McDonalds very often.

Every time I finish a University exam though, all my friends (doing the same course) and I go straight to the nearest McDonalds and eat our fill. It doesn't taste that great, and it feels awful an hour later, but it's so much a tradition I wouldn't swap it for anything.