I refuse to eat fast food.

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tooms, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Haven't been to Macca's in 5 years or do you choose to order the most unhealthy things on the menu? :p

They've had breast meat chicken burgers of different varieties for a few years now and they generally taste pretty good... I was a big fan of the chicken honey mustard burger... Mmmm :D

2. poppinfresh

poppinfresh Member

Thats what people told me about the skinny dude with the angry vegan wife who made super size me, 2 years later, im still eating fast food, and dam proud of it.

Theres nothing "wrong" with fast food the way most hippie scare tatic artists say there is, yes its full of grease sugar and salt, simple fact is those can all be parts of a healthy diet if eaten in moderation, and sometimes i just want em.

I really dont get this "zomg maccas so gross :sick:" Every maccas ive been into has seemed alot cleaner and better run than alot of home owned burger joints.

In short, ive always loved quarter pounders, and probably always will :thumbup:

3. virtual_circuit

virtual_circuit Member

Mainly go to maccas for cheeseburgers in the middle of the night and also Orea Mcflurry with extra Caramel sauce.....

4. glasnt

glasnt Member

I really don't like fast food either.

Can't recall the last time I've had it.

I don't mind a drunk kebab, but can't really stomach KFC or McChunders anymore.

Give me a nice salad sammich anyday :thumbup:

5. carbine

carbine Member

Couldn't care less.

Worst thread ever

6. misc.

misc. Member

well im not a powerlifter, but i did eat a family value meal by myself. well save for 2 of the soft drinks. felt amazing afterwards

7. Sam_Q

Sam_Q Member

I have seen one other post about this on here and it's something I just don't get; I have eaten a big mac at maccas and their chips and felt like i had eaten hardly nothing at all. I wonder how many of their burgers I could eat. I think for how much money I would have to pay before I actually get full I could easily aford a nice meal at a restaraunt. Same goes for Hungry Jacks, I was given a "whopper" and their next smallest down and I felt like having a meal after I ate them.

BTW I am under 70kg

8. orbitor

orbitor Member

I reserve fast food for one occasion and one only; stopping in on a long roadtrip :)

9. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

These days I eat fast food rarely (KFC or Maccas mostly) due to the fact I find 20 to 30 minutes after eating, it's coming out the other end in an absolute slurry. I love the taste, hate the result.

I tend to stick to Asian take aways or kebabs if I need a quick meal, occasionally some Nando's or a HJ cheeseburger, otherwise it's cooking at home or a "proper" meal when eating out.

All that being said, I am craving a triple cheese burger after reading this thread.... Argh!

10. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Good point, I am not a fan of any industry that needs to be subsidised to survive. It wont stop me eating fast food but I do have an idea where it has come from and how things are made/processed after growing up in hospitality/food production.

11. Sandez

Sandez Member

Is that due to your political philosophy or your ethics? I see that you mentioned work ethic but I don't hate customers and clients after having worked in customer service for most of my career, to draw a poor analogy.

12. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Generally subsidises are a waste of resources to prop up inefficent/uncompetitve businesses. I didnt mention anything about work ethic.

13. ra66it

ra66it Member

LOL

I use maccas as a laxative. Don't dare eat it on a road trip......

14. T1tan

T1tan Member

a reasonably good lunch for work:

- go to supermarket, buy some spinach leaves/lettuce, bread (I prefer wholemeal) and maybe cheese if you want.
    - go to oportos, buy 1x bottle of sauce.
    - at oportos on a daily basis, just get some chicken fillets. They should only be about $1.50 each.

create your sandwich.

Tasty, tastes like oportos, but is healthier.
    at least I'm not the only one :)

Agreed! A double quarter pounder is filling for about 10mins I reckon. There's like zero useful nutrients in them, only void filler.

Supersize me wasn't as hard hitting as Food Inc. I don't think. Check it out if you haven't already. One of the main people in it was the author of fast food nation.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  15. Sandez

Sandez Member

I meant ethics as in the somewhat questionable ethical practices that are condoned by many of the world's fast food giants.

16. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Reread the post and now get your point and yes I am not a fan of feedlots/battery hens/farmed fish etc but I have seen ones OS that seem to be so much better than the ones I have been to in Australia.

17. ewok85

ewok85 Member

I'm not a big fan of the mass-produced production line fast food franchises, but I know plenty of places around Tokyo and Adelaide that make the same stuff, for a small premium, thats absolutely amazing.

Its hard to eat a big mac after you've had even a half-decent burger. Dominos is unbearable once you've had a decent pizza. etc etc etc...

But these places are what they are - simple, predictable, affordable, quick food. It won't be the best, but thats not exactly what these places aim for.

18. caspian

caspian Member

agree. my local pizza hut (despite some of the most inept staff I have ever seen, but if you saw the demographic you'd understand) turns out a consistent pizza which is obtainable for $6-7 with (competitor) vouchers. I wouldn't pay full price for one, but at that price it's acceptable for a fairly mass produced foodstuff.

if it was variably shite or consistently not up to scratch then I'd scrub them, but for $7 they meet expectations.

now if I can just get them to stop losing my order every so often....

19. DumbparameciuM

DumbparameciuM Member

If you're attending places where your food is made by sixteen year old pimps, then I can understand why you wouldn't want to east fast food!

20. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Ex Macca's employees are highly regarded in the hospitality industry due to the strict work conditions they've been employed under and high standard of training. They're much more competent than the chick at the local takeaway making your hamburger or hotdog.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010