I think my dog has arthritis, anyone have experience?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by STINGA, Sep 26, 2018.

1. STINGA

STINGA Member

So last week my dog started limping, It was pretty bad when she first woke up in the morning but seemed to be not quite as bad once she was up and walking for a while, but she still had a limp.
    I thought she might have something stuck in her foot but couldn't feel anything and it didn't seem to be getting any better for a few days so I took her to the vet today.
    He told me it looks like arthritis, I didn't feel like he was 100% sure. I asked about x-rays and he said normally it won't show anything up.
    He recommended doing 4 pentosan polysulphate injections over the next 4 weeks and trying some different medications.
    My dog doesn't really go well with vets and was pretty nervous/freaked out so I said I try the medication first and if there's no change I'll come back for an injection. The 2 I bought were powders, joint guard and 4Cyte Canine and he said I should also give her fish oil.
    I feed her what is probably fairly low quality wet food which I plan to change but I do feed her decent dry food. Uup until the limp I walked her daily. He checked her overall, teeth, gums, temperature etc and all was fine.
    I'm just not sure what to do from here, she's 9 years old and I've never had any problems with her except for the odd ear infection which I'm told is because she has very narrow ear canals.
    I asked whether I should still walk her and he told me short walks are fine.
    Anyone who has had any experience with this do you recommend anything different? Should I go to another vet for a 2nd opinion, should I have gotten those injections?
    She's a 9 year old malamute x shar pei and I've had her since a pup, it just kills me thinking she is in pain when she walks and want to try whatever I can to help her.
    I'm doing as much research as I can but thought I'd ask here for any feedback I can take on, thanks.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

A little OT but I'd be interested in a pic of your dog :). Haven't seen a mute + shar pei mix before.

3. OP
    OP
    STINGA

STINGA Member

That's her :)

Attached Files:

4. damnation

damnation Member

Goto a pet store that stocks Sasha's Blend. It's a supplement for arthritis and joint issues. My had has been on it since about 1 - 2 years old of age (now 8) due to bone deformity and surgery. If she isn't given it for upwards of a week I noticeably see a difference. It's about 70 - 90 AUD but lasts a few months. Apart from that you can get (after an initial inspection from a vet) cartrophen injections once a week for 4 weeks which would help the arthritis for about 6- 12 months.

Let me know how you go!

5. OP
    OP
    STINGA

STINGA Member

Thanks, are cartrophen injections different to pentosan polysulphate injections?

6. damnation

damnation Member

Never heard of it, sorry.

7. callan

callan Member

There is a cartrophen analogue that is a lot more potent/longlasting. Our 23 year old cat was on it for a couple of years and it was hugely more effective than cartrophen. I can't remember what it was called but the difference was very noticable on the old girl..

Callan

8. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I have a rescue dog with fairly extreme leg deformation and arthritis. Last year I started him on Pentosan injections and he may as well be a new dog. It won't work in every case but check with your vet, it's turned my dog from a miserable limping ball of pain into a happy little loon. Had a loading dose of 4 injections over 4 weeks then it's been quarterly.

The issue I have now is making sure he doesn't run around too much and hurt himself.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  9. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

As an alternative, see if you can find a vet that also does chiropractic.

A couple of years before he died, my kelpie had the same problem, and I took him to my usual vet who also did chiropractic. He diagnosed sciatica, did some adjustments, and he was fine after that.

10. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

our dog has the beginning stages of arthritis (shih tzu x maltese), and every 6 months we go to the vet and he gets an injection. He did have a knee operation about a year ago, and he does seem back to his normal yappy self..

11. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I have a dachshund X blue healer (I know lol) she got clipped by a car and got gloved on her back leg. We managed to save the leg with a skin graft. But she still lost alot of muscle. She has been compensating for it for a few years now.

Of course being a dachshund, 16 bloody years old and a bad back leg she has arthritis and bad joints. Doesnt help she still thinks shes a puppy, you should see this old bird pound upstairs its unbelievable. But her joints do get the better of her and you can tell it bothers her getting up from a sleep and that she is a bit achy. She develops a limp on a front leg every couple months from not knowing her own age and we take her to get a cartrophen injection. We have been doing it for years and it 100% has helped her, makes her groggy on the first day, but the next you can tell she feels much better.

We can't really walk her anymore as it makes her sore and I'd usually have to carry her on the way back. Sprinting up the stairs and having a wander when we take the bins out or when we go to my parents place each week and she can have a trot through their back yard is enough to keep her slim and busy. But Cartophen injects have really worked for her, I would recommend it for sure.

12. OP
    OP
    STINGA

STINGA Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, some really good info.
    An update on her...I took her to her a different vet on Monday as she was getting worse to the point she was barely putting her paw on the ground.
    I spoke to the first vet beforehand and he said my best option is to do a radiograph but didn't recommend a simple x-ray but he wanted to sedate her and do 5 x-rays on each leg which would cost $1600.
    The new vet gave me Juroclav 250mm, 1.5 tablets a day and Pred-X 20mg, 1 tablet for the first 3 days then1/2 a tablet after that and on the third day I can see improvements in her walking.

13. millhouse

millhouse Chief Tiger Dentist

Pentosan Polysulphate is an active drug - Cartrophen (brand) was the first in Australia to use it. Since off patent there are many others available. Mentioned above by Callan was probably the brand Zydax. I get a bit of feedback that it seems to be better than Cartrophen. Same Pentosan, but different carrier and I think maybe an extra drug in it??

Using an antibiotic and steroid (Juroclav is a Amoxycillin/Clavulanic acid; Pred-X is Prednisalone) is pretty old school, and not something I would use for osteoarthritis. Likely the steroid is what's working, but it will come with more side effects than other arthritis medications. If it is working that is great, but I would strongly consider x-rays, as normal old arthritis doesn't usually respond to what you've done that well. I would also consider very strongly going onto NSAIDs rather than steroids - way more targetted and happier to use ,ong term.

DangerMaus likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    STINGA

STINGA Member

Around 6 weeks ago the vet told me to just give her 1/2 a tablet of Pred-X 20mg.a day.
    When I walked her she had a slight limp by the end of the walk, so I spoke to the vet and he told me to put her back on 1 a day and everything has been really good.

A couple of days ago I went a day without giving her a tablet and the next day her limp was really bad again after just 1 day.

What would you recommend from here? I'm assuming an x-ray is the next step.

15. millhouse

I would recommend what I mentioned above.

16. OP
    OP
    STINGA

STINGA Member

Thanks, I'm just having a bit of trouble getting me head around it all. I'm trying to research as much as I can but I'm struggling a bit.

17. millhouse

From what I can see the dog does not have a confirmed diagnosis. Radiographs are a great way to examine the bones and joints which help make a diagnosis.

The medications that have been discussed are used to treat various problems, but frequently used to treat osteoarthritis. It is likely that your dog has osteoarthritis. As with humans the medications have varying effects/side effects for all individuals.

Go to a Vet and discuss this.

1. Work out what is wrong.
    2. treat that problem*

*may require multiple treatment types

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Friend of ours golden retriever has advanced arthritis, he's only 10 as well, had it for a good 4 years. terrible to see him moving around as he does. He's on experimental medication right now. And I think it does help.