1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

I would so get a mac IF THEY DIDNT COST SO MUCH

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by fallout_man, Feb 20, 2008.

1. FB008

FB008 Member

i got a refurbished 1st gen macbook (1.83 GHz Core Duo) base model (512mb RAM, 60gig hard drive) for $1050 :thumbup: and put in 2 gigs of ram for $110.

yes you can DIY without voiding your warranty, heck they even have a how-to in the macbook user manual :)

when they just release a new model it is fair value for money IMO, you get decent software that you will probably use. however, it takes time for them to refresh their models and since they sell for the same price over a space of ~6 months or so, then the rest of the market catches up and there are better deals out there.

however for laptops, OSX is definitely the preferred platform for me, so i don't care either way. if i am desperate i can always dual-boot anyway ;)

2. Semi-Evolved

Semi-Evolved Member

Nothing at all harsh about that; Apple are like literally every company in that they target different products at different demographics.

3. Scotty_DDR

Scotty_DDR Member

we sell dell lattitudes C610's and D600's at work and they work great still

4. CZA

CZA Member

And this?
    [​IMG]
    Since when did 4GB of DDR2 667 cost $1,175? I mean even Geil EVO One costs around $300 for 4GB and I BET you it's a whole lot better than what they put in that iMac. And if they use SO-DIMMs, then 4GB of memory from Corsair still only costs $300, and those are the sticks made for macs.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  5. FB008

FB008 Member

for suckers that are too afraid to upgrade ram by themselves and like to pay the apple tax.

6. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

lol..

since when are the general mac user "tech savvy"

hint to all prospective buyers.
    get minimun ram and hdd sizes.

buy 3rd party. save 80+%.

7. xcalibur

xcalibur Member

i am thinking of getting corsair so-dimm. they only cost 180 from the retailer i am going to use :/

so your 300 is almost double the actual retail cost, and it makes apples price looks worse.

8. Zee

Zee Member

Can you show me any sector of the market where price parity (or close to) has been achieved? And I mean any market. I think computers, including Macs, are pretty damn close. Try getting into scuba diving, photography or motorcycles.

Buying my diving gear from the US saved me exactly 50% compared to local Aussie prices. and that includes shipping. The local price of a good Canon or Nikon lens (let alone camera body) is often 30% above the US price (or more), and the full titaniam race exhaust system for my CBR954RR is $2500 locally. Or, $1000US. And that is just the hobbies I'm into. Don't even get me started on work related stuff (audiovisual and electronics)...

I think a 10-20% hike is fair, considering how small our market is, and that it has to be shipped here. There wont be much difference in price of a Mac laptop (any) if you order from the US and have to ship it here. If, however, you happen to be on a holiday, it may just be worth the 20% saving to pick one up...

Z...

9. BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy Member

Holy crap @ RAM prices.

It reminds me of dell's website with ram for laptops when you configure your purchase (although nowhere near as bad!).

10. treblid

treblid Member

Nice catch. :p I have a better name for but chose "tech savvy" instead as I don't want to offend any Mac users....

I'm referring to those folks who knows about technology but absolutely no clue on how things work or how much things cost. With their income they don't really need to care anyway.

And, the RAM prices are amazing.. Didn't know that before :p

11. ghettro

ghettro Member

I've been tempted to try the hackintosh thing myself, although my PC system is a bit oddball (its an old AMD64) so I think it'd be fair to say that it'd be a fair bit of screwing around to get it to work - hell windows doesn't even load drivers for my soundcard out of the box. I just have to get around to it sometime...

You can't really compare a homebuilt to a retail. When you actually start to price up server grade stuff, all the peripherals needed blah blah plus warranty, the ability to just walk into a store and buy it, it's actually quite cheap. I've said this over and over again, compare it to something from the Dell website. I'm aware you can get something like a Q6600 system and run OSX86 on it for much cheaper with similar performance but it's a very different thing. Can you just hit software update and expect all the newest patches to work? It's a lot more stuffing around and time. When you have a lot of time and computers are your hobby it makes sense, but when your time is expensive and you have a business to run then it makes no sense.

Back to the macbook thing, someone else made a good point, look at the price of other types of imported goods in the US compared to here. It's a much smaller market much more isolated.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  12. akashra

akashra Member

"Macs are overpriced" is such a myth. I hear it all the time from a workmate here who's a Dell fan, yet every time we spec a Dell XPS up to the same quality/spec, the Dell comes out more expensive.

13. FB008

FB008 Member

not to mention that macs also come with decent, usable software out of the box

14. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

Release a sub $1000 macbook, and i'll buy it. i love the style of the macbook, but its just too expensive for what it is.

15. 151528

151528 Member

Nice work.

I remember finding this a few months ago and remembered it as soon as I saw this thread, but I cbf going to the effort. :lol:

TK

16. Crystallin

Crystallin Member

Since when does it cost $30,000 to build a Commodore? Since when does it cost $200 to make a pair of shoes? Since when does it cost $4 to walk up to a cow and milk it?

Do you seriously expect Apple to upgrade your computer and only charge you cost price for the parts? If you can do it cheaper then good for you - that option is for people who don't know how, don't want to for whatever reason, or corporate clients who require pre-built systems for invoicing and have better things to do than sit around sticking screwdrivers into hundreds of computers anyway.

17. willy_manilly

willy_manilly Member

Yes but you can get the 2nd Hand in brand new condition for around $1200 which is a great price for something that wont lose its value to much :p

18. woof

woof Member

You know what, I think that the biggest trick that apple ever did was to make people think that macs where off better quality, that their customer service was better or that their OS is less breakable than XP.
    There is no reason in it. Its like some religious fervor. Sometimes people cant even make up logic to justify their choice.

For people to say that on specs a macbook is value for money or that it is rational to pay $700 for shipping (as someone earlier justified).

Mac make a wonderful product. At one time or another I have considered buying one. But please people, apple are just a company. Their share price is going through the roof because people are happy to buy products on an emotional level rather than understanding what you get back.
    Apple management is indeed Genius. Everyone else needs to step back, look past what they want and actually buy what they need.
    Then the price of these things may become more reasonable. It costs more because you are happy to put up with it.

19. oli

oli Member

woof have you owned a Mac? Or used Mac OSX for any length of time?

Just wondering...

I am not disagreeing that they are an intelligent company when it comes to marketing, but if you think their product is "just the same" as the other options I think you're a bit delusional. I don't subscribe to the religious following that many other Mac users do, but I am pretty sure there is more to it than just intelligent marketing.

20. asd

asd (Banned or Deleted)

If what people buys them makes them happier then other "sensible" alternatives then what does it matter?

It's all great to go "oh this laptop is $400 cheaper and you get a faster processor blah", but you're on an overclocking forum, what do you expect.

The fact of the matter is, that performance is not everything

Why do people buy Porsche 911's? Status symbol maybe, sure. But you'll find that people can justify the price purely because it brings them pleasure, whether that means ripping through the hills, impressing the ladies or showing off to mates etc.

Just because -you- think something is a "better" choice, does not mean it is in somebody elses mind. People make purchases based on opinions, opinions of what they want. You can't change this, you are not them.

For me? Well the ease of it all wins. Plug it in, it's good to go. Less problems, less hassles, very good performance (I'm burning a DVD/Listening to iTunes/typing this as we speak - Note when I say performance I don't mean outright performance, this machine is almost 3 years old - I mean enough performance to do what -I- want to do) etc.

In -my- experience, the price difference is justified (by about 100 times) by the fact that I am happier with this machine. I -my- experience, other products cause me frustration, hence I do not buy them.

It's all good to say "blah blah my XP is stable you're a noob blah" but the fact of the matter is that it's -my- computer, i'll buy what -I- want, Apple products keep me happy, i'll continue to buy them.