I would so get a mac IF THEY DIDNT COST SO MUCH

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by fallout_man, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Paronga

Paronga Member

Here is my opinion.

I bought a mac. I cost me $1800 for my MBP refurbished, about 50% at the time. Every time i use my computer, its actually bliss. I, honest to god, hate having to use windows, or linux or heaven forbid some other flavor of Unix or BSD. I don't really ever want to go back. I love the feeling i get when things just god damn work (here is the catch) Every time.

That alone is worth paying the extra money. You will never see me going back, persoanly. Too much hassle in the other camps, and i don't enjoy spending time trouble shooting. Its an odd feeling working with computer, as apposed to trying to work with them.

And i don't care if you're happy with windows. I'm not trying to convert anyone, im happy where i am, and you where you are. Everybody is happy:thumbup:

2. woof

woof Member

I hope I didn't seem like a troll.
    I was not telling anyone not to buy an apple. I was asking people to assess their purchase reasonably. I understand that many people enjoy their apple for simply what a mac says about you, or how you feel when your using it or simply what a mac is. I was in awe off how well apple had designed and marketed their products such that people didn't use reason like most laptop purchases but emotions. I echo my early comments. Take a step back and don't be fooled by marketing. Understand what your getting personally and functionally.

Im not posing an argument against macs. I said that they where a "wonderful product". I also called Mac management genius. But why are internet savy people like yourselves happy to pay 33% extra when you can get one much cheaper. All consumer product developers are trying to take customers for a ride. Believe me if dell could charge 33% more here than in America they would. But people wouldn't stand for it. Stand up for your rights as consumers. Buy a Mac because you like the product, because you like being seen with it, you feel that OSX is a better. But not because Apple tells you so.
    Let apple know that we deserve the same rights as America and Japan. Then apple might think twice when pricing their products disproportionally to other countries.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  3. woof

woof Member

I have used a Mac for a length of time. But it wasn't OSX. I will probably buy a mac book from America.
    Again just wanted to say that I'm not against apple, just the huge price difference from country to country. The ram price is a joke. What do apple take us for.

I believe you incorrectly quoted me though. I did not type that they where "just the same". They are not and this is a big part of why people will pay for a mac in Australia. Because their is no other company doing what apple are doing.

4. oli

oli Member

Fair enough. I realise you were not ranting against apple or anything which is why I didn't either ignore your post or attack you personally. I agree their upgrade prices can be pretty extreme but if you look at upgrade prices on equipment from most whitebox/system builders then they aren't that unusual.

Yes perhaps I misquoted you, sorry. My main point in response to your earlier post is that there is more to it than marketing genius.

Anyway I think the Macbook line is probably the only one where this problem stands out - once you look at the Macbook Pros or Mac Pros or desktop systems, the variations with manufacturers based on system specifications alone are not that huge IMO.

The international pricing difference thing is another matter. It's just bad luck for us really being the tiny market we are... :(

5. woof

woof Member

Ya thanks, i agree with everything you said.

I guess people need to start having more baby's and getting our market bigger.

6. CZA

CZA Member

Your analogy is not apt. A Commodore costs $30,000 to buy, but the higher quality RAM also costs $300 to BUY. The only thing left over after buying the RAM is installation. Which they shouldn't be charging since they aren't building the computer, taking it apart again, putting the ram in, and reassembling it.

Even if they were, which is stupid, you're paying them $800 to install RAM, which can't take more than 5 minutes. Hell, if I were being paid $9,600 an hour to install RAM...

The option seems to be for people who don't know BETTER. And it's a shame they don't because that's a pretty horrendous price gouge.

7. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

Indeed you cannot just press Software Update and expect everything to work. I will point out that even on a regular Mac Software Update breaks things a lot of the time too!
    There's also other things which are actually better on a Hybrid, like sleep state working properly when using 3rd party PCI cards, different hardware support, overclocking, serial/PS2 ports if you still need them, etc.

For an 'enthusiast', like many on this site, building your own PC/Mac Hybrid makes sense. If you just want to buy a box and use it without ever looking inside though, I won't think any less of you for doing it and buying from Apple makes sense.

8. Crystallin

Crystallin Member

Take a look at the optional price list for a Mercedes S-Class (or any car for that matter). A ski bag is $600. A second lock for the boot is $300. A roller blind for the rear windscreen is $910. They're not going to give you whatever you want just by paying for the cost of the parts - it's not a charity.

How much do you think it costs to buy a bag? $600? Using that logic, the only thing left after buying the bag is putting it in the boot.

Do you think that Hyundai would also be charging $600 if they also had a ski bag option? Apple computers are considered 'premium' products, and the price tag reflects that. It costs more to purchase the base product, and it costs more to purchase options for it. It's the same with everything in life.

Well, people are obviously prepared to pay it. If you think it's too expensive then you're not the sort of customer they're targetting with that option. I have a fully optioned Mac at work and I wouldn't have a clue what all the options cost, and I really don't care either.

9. CZA

CZA Member

Except ski bags kinda do cost around $300-$400 anyway, and the difference in price isn't big when you consider that the car itself is costing tens of thousands of dollars. Also, the ski bags for the S-Class are customized both visually and functionally to fit into the car, so they're actually doing something before they charge you for it. RAM made for the mac, which is also of higher quality, is costing 1/4 of what Apple wants you to pay for it.

So pretty much, Mercedes is charging 50% to 100% extra for a ski bag customized to match the S class, but Apple is charging 291% extra for inferior RAM.

In this case the price tag might be fitting for a "premium" product, but the quality certainly isn't.

10. willy_manilly

willy_manilly Member

Yeh mate buy a macbook from the US, its alot cheaper. I have purchased 2 from the US and they where all around $1200 for a top of the line model :)

Apples are Bliss ")

11. ikari47

ikari47 Member

mac is targeted at people looking to make a fashion statement
    ipod anyone? im sure all the college kids dont mind spending daddy's (or mummy's) money
    they wouldnt know the difference between ram

but with most things, its often cheaper to buy a top end model than a low end model and option it up (wayyyy cheaper)

ps. my CLK has a ski bag standard (pffft S class), its the $400 for the spare key that kills you

12. ya3

ya3 Member

An iPod isn't a 'Mac'.

And besides, noone sees my iMac. It's in my lounge room, on a desk. I bought it because it's awesome. I'm a graphic designer so I appreciate a well designed and laid-out interface which wasn't designed by a chimpanzee, and I'm a geek, so I appreciate a computer that works absolutely flawlessly 99.99% of the time.

PS. The Jaguar sat-nav system is a $5000 option :p Yet I bet my mobile phone has a faster processor than it. Argh.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  13. willy_manilly

willy_manilly Member

X5 nav system is 6300 including a digital TV, i could get a 60" LCD for that :p

14. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

haha "quality parts" an 8600gt is an 8600gt mate

15. almghty

almghty Member

Cost so much when compared to what????

Acer laptops? Zepto? Building your own with yum cha parts?

We aren't talking about alot of difference here if you take out the high end mac pro.

Using Dell as an example of apples to apples :)

Using their site to package a dell inspiron 1420 compared with the base model for a 2.2 ghz macbook model (white) no addons which is priced at $1785 @ getmac.com.au

After customising the dell laptop with the following addons:
    2.2 core 2 duo (to match macbook)
    Select Vista Ultimate (becase you get leopard with every one)
    Stick with the 14.1" TrueLife
    Stick with default memory
    Leave the DVD drive as it is
    Integrated graphics X3100
    Add Wireless N (match macbook)
    Add Bluetooth Module.

Leaving everything else the same the price is $1493.00
    Dell has extra inch in screen size; depends on how you look at it from a portability view point.
    Dell has extra 40gb

Apple you get magsafe, optical out, you get Ilife and a more integrated product between machine and software.

Basically you are paying the extra $300? to get design and integration. It's always hard to convince people to 'pay' for the design of a product. Apple have and I for one am sold on it. I like their designs.

Yes I have an apple mbp. Yes I can probably go and get something so much more powerful with a 20" screen, blu ray blah blah. Everything just works and I just use my computer.

16. Techneon

Techneon Member

I imagine a lot of the big markup on things like RAM are because they introduce an anomaly into the assembly line, and thus by putting a high price on it, it discourages users from having Apple install it pre-delivery, but at the same time, the hardware can take up to x GB ram, so it's important to reinforce that by having the options to spec up on the website. It probably also serves a psychological purpose by making people feel less bad about spending the money on the machine, because if they buy aftermarket ram they are 'making a saving'.

17. Dr Kildare

Dr Kildare Medic!

Keep the discussion on track ppls :)
    Cleaned up a few posts.

18. Aequitas

Aequitas Member

does a 8600gt on vista have the same performance as an 8600gt on XP? just asking. also if every 8600gt is the same then why not just buy the cheapest, its going to be the same anyway? just wondering?

Also someone just dismissed iLife as a small factor in mac sales compared to a dell. WAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA how much do you think it costs to buy software to match that little package?

also if you think that apple are getting the extra money from the higher prices here in Australia i think u may need to sit down for a bit. Try importers and the tax man. We have a smaller market and import taxes/gst/trade legislation that effect it. that can be bypassed by doing it personally. also if u do u need to send the mac back to be serviced. we have higher costs for service centres due to lower numbers too. there are many factors that ppl are forgetting about.

ps BUY MAC they are better, but upgrade them yourselves, its easy, OR buy from firesales or refurbs from mac1 or getmac or theres another one i cant think of, NOT EBAY.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  19. ghettro

ghettro Member

I really started looking at choosing a mobo yesterday, need a mATX in 775 socket. The whole thing is a double edged sword, whilst on one hand having generic hardware gives you freedom to choose whatever hardware you want, generic hardware also means less compatibility with OS X. Whereas buying an Apple will give you little choice of hardware but maximum compatibility with OS X. But yes, having a C2D OS X desktop running leopard for chump change is very very tempting...

This seems to get discussed every month or so. I was aware that spec for spec windows based laptops were better value than a macbook when I was buying it. But I really like OS X and I like the design of the macbook. There's lots of non-performance things that are important to me, for example, ever noticed that on macbooks you can open the lid with one hand when it is sitting on a desk? The damping friction on the hinge is just right so it won't lift up the bottom half when you open it. Also compared to dells/ASUS and other brands I don't think i've seen them display any kind of play at that joint, even on a battered old G3 iBook from 2001 at work. The GUI on OS X I find is much more intuitive, the dock tells you so much information from only a set of icons (as opposed to a taskbar, quick launch and system tray). Drag and drop works on almost everything (drag and dropping images from a webpage onto the desktop/folder is such a timesaver - it works half the time on ubuntu but all the time on all browsers on OS X). The Apple remote is so simple, but it works really well, compare
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The apple remote only has 6 buttons but each one has a unique tactile response (each direction + raised centre and flush menu) so you can feel which one you are pressing without looking at it. The dell has 3(round, square and flat) types of tactile feedback with 17 buttons, so in real life use you would have too look it the thing before you press anything. These are just a few little reasons why I think the extra premium you pay is worth it. It actually feels refined and it has a lot of thought put into it.

20. CZA

CZA Member

Gaming in Vista tends to be slower with each card I think, but that's not the card's fault, it's the OS. And I'm pretty sure most people do buy the cheapest 8600GT (at least with the same amount of VRAM etc.) they can find.