I5 2500....

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Trevstar, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Trevstar

Trevstar Member

Howdy all

I have an old i5 2500 cpu in my cupboard and was thinking of using it to build my 8 year old son his first pc.

How does it rank in todays gaming at stock speeds?

Cheers.

2. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

An i5 2500 would be a perfect processor for an 8yo. Hell, I still run a 2700k @ 5Ghz in my Windows gaming PC, it feeds data to a 980Ti @ 1500 running the games I play at 4k nicely.

3. hvalac

hvalac Member

If you've got it lying around then I guess you could make use but it is quite slow these days for non gaming related stuff.... or... you could buy a 2nd hand system off the forums that's pre-built which is a much simpler option than trying to source parts.
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/itx-pc-i5-8gb-ssd.1243636/ That's a nice little system and all that is needed is a video card... NFI if it needs a mini version?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  4. flu!d

A 2500k is by no means slow for 'non gaming stuff'.

cmi83, Turbine and Wozzernux like this.
  5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The 2500K still has enough grunt. If you already had a complete rig, I'd say it would be ample as is. If its only the chip you have though, you might be better off selling it to help finance a basic new system. Its an 8 year old's rig is it not? How demanding are the games he plays?

If he is only playing basic games, then a cheap 1151 system would suffice, with onboard GPU. Ram will cost more than the secondhand DDR3 you could pick up in here, but motherboard will be easier to find, better featured, and in all probability cheaper if you don't go silly. You could pick up an entire basic Intel 1151 rig for under $500 in here, sans GPU. Add a couple hundred bucks for a GTX 970 and he'll have something you could use yourself for 'real' games if you wanted.

If you want to spend a little more, then maybe a new Ryzen APU rig would be better. Better graphics without having to buy a GPU, and still won't break the bank.

You can always add a GPU at a later time, when the need arises.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  6. hvalac

hvalac Member

Completely disagree but then again I also completely disagree that your rig is any good for 4k. We clearly have a different perspective on performance we'd like to attain.

7. flu!d

You disagree that my rig running a 2700k at 5Ghz and a 980Ti @ 1500mhz isn't good for 4k? Thats hilarious! I guess I'd better run out and buy a 7820X and a 1080Ti according to your expert opinion so I can play Far Cry? No, wait...Far Cry won't run smoothly at high settings on that platform either, so once again it makes more sense to stick with my 2700k @ 5Ghz and 980Ti @ 1500.

Wozzernux likes this.
  8. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

Sandy and Ivy chips in my opinion were the best jump in performance over their predecessors. An i5 2500 is still a good chip and for the majority of tasks I'd doubt you'd notice a lot of difference. A much better use of money would be an SSD vs spinning rust for example.

An i7 2700k especially at 5ghz is still a weapon and the hyperthreading alone makes it more desirable than any i5 imo, up until the 8 series.

9. Jazper

Jazper Member

You obviously weren't around for the P4->Core2 era :) that was a leap.

10. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

I was actually, Had overclocked athlon 64's and Pentium D's so core 2 didn't feel that special, although it has been a few years.

I think the only noticeable feature I would miss on a Z68 or Z77 board is nvme/m.2 slots

Jazper likes this.
  11. Jazper

Jazper Member

Yeah me too - though you can get cards for next to nix on ebay which support the slots.

12. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

NVMe booting is either not supported or requires a lot of fiddling to get it working reliably. Pretty much the only reason I left the chipset.

Jazper likes this.
  13. flu!d

You can get bootable m.2 SSD support using SSD's that have legacy support. I run m.2 SSD's in both my x58 dual x5675 based PC and my Z68 2700k based PC at the max speed the pcie bus can support using such devices and they're perfectly bootable with amazing speeds.

Jazper likes this.
  14. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

Samsung 950 by any chance?

flu!d likes this.
  15. flu!d

No, HyperX. Can't remember the exact model, but the Samsung's are equally as suitable.

16. hvalac

hvalac Member

Woh hasty much.. I guess you need to protect that E-peen quick smart.
    Like I said, we have a difference in perspective on what performance we like to attain.

17. flu!d

Nothing to do with e-peen on my behalf. However, it is definitely safe to say that we have a different perspective on the performance benefits gained from Sandy Bridge onwards.

Silicon technology reached it's limits around 9 years ago and the only real changes to architecture have been based around the memory controller since Sandy Bridge.

18. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

I'm still rocking an i5 2500k overclocked.
    I had to go back to stock as my PSU was dying and I could notice the difference between stock and overclocked, but for an 8YO it won't matter. I was just stubbon to reduce my quality settings.
    As soon as I replaced my 10 year old PSU my system was rock stable again.
    If you have a stock 7700k you won't notice any real world difference if you have a 2500k overclocked.
    But it sounds like you have a 2500 without the k.

I think it will be fine as basically the only games that will have an issue are games which an 8YO probably shouldn't be playing.

19. Turbine

Turbine Member

What do you need to complete the build?

20. OP
    OP
    Trevstar

Trevstar Member

Yeah its a 2500 without the k so no overclocking.

I did have a mobo and cpu but seems the mobo is dead so just the cpu at this point.