i7 Lapping Mini Guide

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Trucrymz, Nov 14, 2009.

1. JUDGEMENT

JUDGEMENT Member

When lapping anything to make it flatter, ALWAYS use a figure 8 pattern - This avoids any side/corner becoming lower than the opposite.

Don't exaggerate the figure 8, just nice and even, using the whole size of the sheet of sand paper.

Use a small weight and just grip the sides of the weight, rather than pushing down on the item, it the item does not have sufficient weight of its own.

2. OP
    OP
    Trucrymz

Trucrymz (Banned or Deleted)

The figure 8 motion is definitely one of the most commonly used rubbing methods, but its still not fool proof. To minimize the difference to each side, the best thing to do is probably to rotate the chip 90 degrees frequently and at set intervals, t. This applies whether you are using the figure 8, straight forward/backward motion or any other method.

The other method to reduce bias is to avoid applying any downward pressure whilst rubbing. As such, I would not recommend adding weights on onto the CPU, as it would be quite difficult to ensure the weight is consistently & evenly distributed.. Obviously it would take longer without weights, but it is done all the time. In fact, I cant recall ever seeing anyone lap a CPU with weights add onto it...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  3. Oblivion-330

Oblivion-330 Member

Cool guide :thumbup:
    I've lapped my E8400, E3110 & TRUE and it gave a nice drop in temps. More drop from load than from idle.

The TRUE proved to be the hardest to lap since it was top heavy and skipped a little.

Going dry all the way up until 1200 where I used water worked out well. The water allowed for a much smoother surface than using 1200 dry. Also worth noting was that after lapping, installing and later removing the E8400 it seemed alot shinier. I think that the AS5 may possibly have acted like brasso to an extent. I even got some water/metal shavings under the IHS of the E3110 and it still worked :leet:

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

I'm not against the idea at all (and have done it myself, along with many other 'crazy' ideas). I just like people to be properly informed of ALL aspects.

5. leebaldock

leebaldock Member

Cool post. Only read through the pics and first and last couple of pagse..

I'd pay more for a pre-lapped CPU and TRUE. Why can't I buy one?

Seeing as Intel sells "Extreme" model CPU's couldn't they also sell pre-lapped CPU's?

If it really does give a 5-10 degree improvement then you would think they would be interested in it as a potential marketing selling point for "enthusiast" CPU's. HSF manufacturers well it's a no brainer. Anyone that buys a third part HSF is an enthusiast OR very anal about noise or heat so either way they are going to want temp benefits in theory.

6. OP
    OP
    Trucrymz

Trucrymz (Banned or Deleted)

Once you have some thermal paste and a heatsink/block on, very little of the surface is exposed to oxygen, so there is little if any corrosion at all in most cases.

This is also why I generally lapp dry as much as possible. If you do need a lubricant, eg. when doing heatsinks, use motor/machine oil instead of water as LuciferDarklord pointed out

7. ints

ints Member

ok so, I'm still confused, is it convex or concave? :lol:

nice guide tho.

I'd like to ask everyone who have actually done it themselves, whats your before and after temps? I'm sort of pondering on lapping my i7 930. coz it's really uneven, and I'm getting stupid temps like 80C on load running 4.2GHz, RX360 rad. (I believe it's !!!CONCAVE!!!, but please don't murder me if I'm wrong ;)).

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  8. SeiferCQGL

SeiferCQGL Member

Every CPU/hsf (or waterblock) combo that I have lapped has yielded temp drops. I went to 2k grit on all, with a little bit of mineral oil as an assistant on the coarser grits (400/600/800). Once the CPU is lapped, spreading a thin layer of AS5 will stop oxidization of the exposed metals from the lapping process. I have used figure 8 and back-forward-rotate methods and both are as good as each other, the result basically comes down to how steady your hand is. Got a pic here of a heatkiller 3 somewhere, and I am just about to do my xeon w3550.

9. ints

ints Member

Temp drops of how much? just trying to get a general idea.

10. SeiferCQGL

SeiferCQGL Member

Well it really all depends on a stack of different variables, but if you want an approximation I would say between 2 and 8 degrees at idle and approx 5-10 degrees at 100% load.

11. ints

ints Member

Cool. My hottest core is ~9C hotter than others under load in average. Don't need my apogee gtx lapped, its pretty much perfect out the box as far as i could tell. And mirror finished.

12. ints

ints Member

ok so i spent about an hour filing the copper off my cpu... jk, i did it properly. And i lost about 5-6 degrees. Happy with that. One thing was strange tho. When i installed the cpu and 1st booted it, it said 'new cpu installed' after POST. Wth? I've removed it and reinstalled it before but never seen that.

13. SeiferCQGL

SeiferCQGL Member

Very interesting...has it mentioned it again since? If not, then don't stress too hard about it.

14. ints

ints Member

Its working fine so i'm not stressing. And no, it only mentioned it as i 1st installed the lapped cpu. Still, it's strange. Some properties of the cpu must have changed for the bios to recognise it as a different cpu.

15. BeefCaek

BeefCaek Member

Looks convex to me...

16. ints

ints Member

Ah fuck, of course, it's not convex anymore!