i9 "kf" without graphics

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by MoRpHeUs, Jan 12, 2019.

1. MoRpHeUs

MoRpHeUs Member

2. shane41

shane41 Member

They put a good spin on it, disabled cause it's rubbish :rolleyes: The blinded versions of the Core i9-9900K, Core i7-9700K, and Core i5-9600K

Meanwhile, the Core i3-9350KF is a hot-clocked quad-core that seems to be aimed directly at enthusiasts and overclockers. :thumbup: That could be fun if it's cheap

3. tunksy

tunksy Member

9350kf will be thread gimped. 4c / 4t wish i didn't sell my 7700k

4. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Hyperthreading only exists on the i9 now?!?

5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yeah, it introduces a lot of vectors for sidechannel attacks so Intel are really backing away from it now.

I'm not convinced it ever helped much with consumer workloads anyway. Maybe at 2C/4T, but I'm not sure I ever saw a case where 4C/8T was an improvement on 4C/4T outside synthetic benchmarks.

6. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

It's handy for running VMs or emulators when you need to allocate cores. I think I may end up going with a Ryzen 7 3700, 12C/24T. Will last me a long time for sure. Unless intel pulls something out of their hat anytime before then.

7. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

SMT is critical to achieving proper utilisation of recourses in these wide cores. As a convinient example, you can achieve almost the same performance from a 6core/12t SMT enabled vs 8c 8t (No SMT) With notably less power and die area

Im not sure if the vulnerability dramas they've been having is the motivation behind lowering number of skus with smt or not (i'd say not) but they won't be shying away long term

8. tunksy

tunksy Member

The reason behind them moving away from HT except of the high end parts is to differentiate their line up and validate the cost of cpus like the 9900k. Its also a synthetic benchmark enhancer so the high end cpus look better.

9. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I disabled it on my 6700K because of this truth. Saved a ton on heat for no performance loss in games.

10. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Many games GTAV, AC, Witcher 3, Far Cry, most modern console ports use 6-7 threads and will see heavily reduced/eliminated micro stutter or higher FPS with more than 4 threads.

11. shane41

shane41 Member

I'm sick of segmentation, then the weak silicon tossed our way :rolleyes: With the positive spin put on it, fool us & keep upgrading.
    Tick tock drip fed, hooray for Amd :thumbup: finally giving this corporation a bit of a push.
    Then the pci-e lanes tied up in x299 skylakes & now restriction reversed on the the refresh processors like 9900x. But your gonna pay :tongue: big dollars
    https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/intel-ice-lake-release-date-specs-price-3642152

Some light reading