IBM aims to cool '3D' chips with water

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by <pRo>ToSs, Jun 9, 2008.

1. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

Source

A 3D water cooling lattice. Well if we see more and more quads with a lot more power, and the heat output rises, do you guys reckon something like this could become mainstream?

2. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

It makes sense. I mean, I'm guessing it's not cheap, but maybe it's the next step...

3. MomijiTMO

MomijiTMO Member

Huge cost reduction for a blade servers cluster. Those rooms need crazy a/c 24/7 so I see this being much cheaper.

4. Marshy79

Marshy79 Member

Thats more so to do with double redunancy more so.
    The computer halls in data centres would still be the most viable option for most big buisness anyways.

More so on topic... so there would still be some sort of radiator needed id assume. I guess this could be built into the end of teh card with a fan blowing on it.

In my mind it doesnt sound like it would cope with the heat output... but then what the hell do i know!

Sounds very interesting indeed... if it can be applied to GPU's.... we may see it standard on CPU's and also NB/SB ... could be cool. Introduces water leakage possibilities though.

5. OP
    OP
    <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

See that's what I thought too. But then again, these are 50microns wide I think, each of the tubes. It's about the most you'll get without just covering it with water.

By the looks it it though, it'd have to be 'integrated' into the chip design, so I don't think it'd be possible to opt for a third party solution, if it's going to be running inbetween cores on a single chip.

6. TMM

TMM Member

They are still pumping out the same amount of heat in an even smaller package = more hardware in the same area = even more serious room cooling needed.

When you use water cooling it doesn't just make the heat magically disappear, it just moves it more efficiently from one place to another.

7. alvarez

alvarez Member

I think by 3D they ment the vetice staking of chips to make a 3d array not a 3d accelerator card.

Its interesting to read about but its infant technology so not much good speculating yet.