IBM "in talks" to buy Sun Microsystems

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by cleary, Mar 19, 2009.

1. helpdesknow

helpdesknow Member

hmm

to me the only thing that sun has got of any value is java

solaris? well aix/hp-ux/linux are all competent

there is no way ibm would abandon java, its probably the only thing of value in sun (besides jumping market share in the server room.. - its just a shortcut, ibm's taking that anyway)

oh + they would get all sun employees .. if i were ibm i'd buy sun, slowly phase out solaris (or merge aix/solaris), ditch SPARC, keep java, cut the work force in both Sun and IBM leaving only the good people...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Errr... what?

IBM are one of the heaviest investors in Java. In fact, I'm almost certain the vast majority of their motivation to buy Sun is to have total control of Java.

OpenOffice will be safe I think. IBM have already done some work there, rebadging it under the "Lotus" logo (not to mention footing most of the bill for the OOXML vs ODF ISO shitfight). I think they'd be keen to add that to their software portfolio. From what I hear anyway, OOo is light on developers. Perhaps some IBM cash could assist that.

VirtualBox doesn't really compete with any core IBM tool. I don't see any major reason for them to dump it. Plus it represents another way to put an IBM-focussed Linux on the desktop, and treat Windows like nothing more than an application layer, which is something IBM have done for some time now already on the server side.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  3. Pandemonium

Pandemonium Member

What do you reckon about their other product lines?

MySQL vs DB2/Infomix
    Glassfish vs Websphere
    Netbeans vs Eclipse

I think IBM could help Sun in a lot of ways. To some extent, I feel that Sun does a lot of things really well, if not the best. Their Systems Engineering team has done some really good work. I think they are in the state they are now due to:

- Poor channel management. In my experience, both first hand and from what I've heard, Sun have never been great in dealing with the channel. In Australia at least they were always big in Schools, Telcos and Banks, and I've not seen them expand beyond these markets or grow these markets significantly.

- Inability to monetize IP. Java is one of, if not the, most deployed pieces of software in the world, yet Sun has struggled to capitalise on this. I was reading Johnathon Schwartz's blog post when he was talking about inking a Microsoft (or Google?) search toolbar deal to be installed along with Java. Really? That's the best you can do?

Both of these areas are things IBM does well. With the Global Solutions horde pushing them out into the market I think they could grow Suns server business (Especially their storage and network business, which IBM does not do well right now, if at all) and IBM might have a better team to deal with monetizing Java, I'm sure they can come up with something better than bundling it with adware.

4. helpdesknow

helpdesknow Member

patents

i revise

sun half of value:

java
    solaris
    decent employees.. (at least some of them)

and potentially a good patent portfolio

5. deepspring

deepspring Member

I wonder what these means for Sun's own opensource projects and the various non-Sun opensource projects they participate in.

Hopefully not much, but it's a case of wait and see.

6. stmok

stmok Member

An update on the topic at hand...

IBM said to be poring over Sun's contracts
    http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/27931F1555EC327ACC2575810075ABD8

7. kingborel

kingborel Member

I'm waiting for IBM to start dumping cash into OpenOffice and turn it into an MS Office alternative. Perhaps a free version, and a paid for 'Pro' vcersion with support and such? And plenty of good enterprise rollout tools for large organisations.

8. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

I know this is probably for the better of the companies and everything, but from a hardware point of view i'm hoping it doesn't happen, or that Sun at least get to keep their hardware range seperate... From my experience with IBM hardware, i've found it to be fairly ordinary at best

What about the poor old thin client gear, please someone think of the sunrays :)

9. rush

rush Member

Aren't IBM slashing their workforce (sometimes with brutal techniques)?

What would that mean for Sun employees?

10. elvis

You realise the volume of hardware IBM offer/support is huge, right?

Have you played with their x86 gear? Their POWER gear? Their zSeries gear?

11. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Yet Apple drops them for Intel.

12. elvis

What has that got to do with anything?

For starters, Apple used PowerPC, not POWER (yes, there are key differences). Secondly, Apple were interested in cutting costs on consumer gear (where cost per unit is an issue). POWER on enterprise gear doesn't really affect the overall cost over the lifetime of the hardware when the lion's share of dollars goes into service agreements.

I love Apple and Apple products, but I don't see how Apple's decision to change their consumer-level CPU has any relevance to IBM's enterprise hardware.

If I were to apply the same logic, I'd say that Microsoft adopted PowerPC for XBox360 (and Sony/IBM/Toshiba used POWER as a basis for Cell in PS3 and other gear), and therefor that meant something too.

13. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

My bad.

I don't, i hate them. iPod was a shit product, still is a shit product, same with iPhone, and pretty much every apple product. It's just a shinny case and marketing that sells it. Not the quality of the product.

14. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

I am no Apple fanboy, but when I bought my iPod mini back in ... oh 2004? It was the only product on the market that was worth buying. It had the largest hard drive space for the smallest price, and that's really what a portable music player should be about.

Anyway, I think Apple came to market with an idiot-friendly solution before anyone else did (I say idiot-friendly because any geek could operate an mp3 player): the clickwheel and iTunes are idiot-friendly. Millions of idiots bought iPods, became hooked on the "Apple way" and continue to do so to this day.

Anyway, you may criticize the shinnyness of Apple products but it's their angle and people buy it. I still use my iPod mini today which is a testament to its quality. I've only had to replace the battery (a perishable component anyway) with an aftermarket unit once. But that was only a year or so ago. The other non-perishable hardware built into the device is still working great. :thumbup:

I love how far OT these Other Operating System discussions go. :lol:

15. elvis

Sorry, let me clarify:

I love Apple desktop/workstation/render-node/cluster products.

I'm not a gadgets person. iPod isn't a blip on my radar (don't even get me started on mainstream music and generation Y's clinical addiction to that shit), and I forget they even exist most days (iPods, not generation Y).

iPod and co all use ARM processors anyway. PowerPC and Intel stuff is way too heat producing for them. I'm also a huge ARM fan, but again for the things they are doing for low power desktops/laptops, and not phones/pdas/iPods, which don't interest me.

Given that "other" on OCAU means "non-Microsoft", in terms of volume that covers more software and supporting hardware platforms than not.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  16. Spanish Onion

Spanish Onion Member

Why do you say that? I'm generally interested to know, in regards to a technical point of view, as I may be in the market for a new Ipod/MP3 player. (My current one lasted a good 3 years - screen cracked a few months back. Just looking for any possible alternatives.)

PM is fine if you don't want to de-rail the thread any further ;)

17. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

iPods now are a LOT better than when they first came out. When they first came out the sound quality was absolutely shockingly bad, till about gen 3/4.

I wouldn't recommend not getting one now, most of them are pretty good quality now-a-days, just get one that suits you and you like.

Personally, i would never get one because of having to hook it up to iTunes before i can even use 3rd party software to put tracks on it. (not like the gen 1/2 where it just showed up as a removable hdd), i hate iTunes, i also hate Windows Media Player, and anything that isn't WinAmp pre- version 5.4

18. hyperstyle

hyperstyle Member

You're way off base. The quality on most apple products is astounding, very well built compared to the average product. They sell well because of that quality and polished finish (Oh and the marketing/cult club). Features come second.

I'm not an apple fan boy. In the past i've stayed away from their products because the features to price ratio was quite low. I've only purchased one apple product and that was the mac book air. No other laptop i've seen comes anywhere near the build quality of the AIR (or other mac laptops).

19. Spanish Onion

Spanish Onion Member

iTunes point was a good one, seeing as i'll be moving completely to Ubuntu soon. Alhough gtkpod does do the job nicely...

20. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

Are they?
    I haven't noticed anything.

I know a contractor for IBM who just changed to working for the government, IBM were begging him to stay.

Some of the contractors are not getting renewed, but none of the permies I know have lost their job, unless they found a better one, no-one I know has been 'slashed brutally'